Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Creepiest Thing that happened to you

Question The Creepiest Thing that happened to you

what is it about the night that is so mysterious? is it the dark, is it the disconected feel you feel at 5:00 AM when you go get a drink, or just maybe it is the uncertinty of what lies in the endless blanket of blackness outside the front door. whatever it is, we have all felt it, as kids or maybe as adults, either way, we have felt that "feeling", you know THAT one. most of the time, its just your mind playing tricks on you, but sometimes, its just.... unexplainable. fellow DISCer's, this is the time to share it, big or small. here is my story of "the feeling" that happened back in the '90s.

i still remember the day, january 21st, 1997, it was a nice day, not much snow, not much rain, not much anything. it was late, about 1:30 AM, and i just happened to get up to use the restroom, and i saw it. i got out of bed and started to walk to the bathroom when i stopped dead in my tracks. there in the hall was a sharply dressed man, complete with a tuxedo and bowlers hat, just standing there, standing, staring. we just looked at each other, saying nothing, until the man muttered something, something unforgettable. "in 11 years, there will be a pure garden of ideology, 5 years after that, you will find acceptance, all in good time friend". years later, i finally decoded it and it is the most eerie thing i have ever read, read with caution, it is shocking.
    ADISC.ORG, founded in 2008, 11 years after 1997
    i joined adisc in 2013, five years after its founding
    this is where i gained acceptance
    interpret how you may, either way, it is eerie. all i know is that i heard the saying "a pure garden of ideology" somewhere before, but i can't remember where. share your stories if you may. this is 100% true.

Hmmmmmmmmmm, hard to remember creepy things, I try to forget them. There are a few though that I recall.

One of my 'creepy' stories was late at night, I remember it was really storming, thunder, lightning, almost hail, it was coming down horribly, the power was out because of the storm and the howl of the wind was very creepy. The worst part was I live in a wooden house from like the 1700's, so every time the wind blew you could feel the house rock a little bit and you could hear the wood creaking. Very creepy. Storms like that every so often but the power hasn't gone out in a while during one. Knock on wood, lol.

I've told this true experience a number of times on this site, so now I keep it in my documents folder. Here it is, and it is a true story. No wonder my novel is about a haunted house. Growing up in one is unnerving, to say the least.

When I was in college, my college room mate had a Ouija board. My parents lived in a house which had shown paranormal activity, primarily poltergeist activity, bumps and noises in the night, etc. We were both freshmen, 18 at the time. We had not ever done drugs and we had a couple of beers before dinner, but none after as we were in my parents' house. The house was an old cape cod located in Toms River, N. J., well trodden ground used by the Lenni Lenape Indians. I was an only child and so had the entire attic for my bedroom and sitting room. The two rooms were divided by a wall and doorway.

We waited until 12 midnight and got out the board, sitting on the end of my bed. Sitting thus, we faced the doorway to the sitting room, the door being open. We put our fingers on the planchette and went through the usual bit, is their a spirit here, etc. The thing is, the planchette was moving on the board, answering our questions. I of course thought my friend was moving the little, cheap, plastic pointer. He thought I was moving it.

Eventually he said, "If there's a spirit here, show yourself, God damn it!" As soon as he said it, a full figured ghost took form in front of us where the door frame was. It looked like a man, and through it's white form, you could see a skeletal form as well. It slowly began to glide forward. It passed through my left half and completely through my friend. It then too a right turn and passed through the wall. Were it passed through me, I felt completely cold. He said his entire body felt cold.

We were both terrified, but the worst was not over. For the next month, we both felt that it wanted us and perhaps, wanted our souls. I would return home each weekend as I had a church job playing organ on Sundays. I was terrified to sleep in my bedroom. Eventually after much prayer, I imagined my room full of candles, and I would light them one by one until the room was full of light. I never fully got over what had happened.

Years later when I married, my wife and I returned to Toms River to visit my parents. Even then I had to close the door which separated those two rooms. My wife understood why.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I've told this true experience a number of times on this site, so now I keep it in my documents folder. Here it is, and it is a true story. No wonder my novel is about a haunted house. Growing up in one is unnerving, to say the least.
    Part of me wants to say "lucky!" to you for having that kind of experience, the other part of me would be terrified and would never want that to happen to myself or anyone ever. Lol.

My house used to be a like, not a church but they had sunday school here and held services here for people for a large part of it's life, I'm honestly surprised I've not seen more ghostly things like that. I can only recall one, when I was little i used to see a colonial looking guy standing at the top of the stairs all the time. Or if I was standing at the top he'd be at the bottom. Was weird, he'd always be smiling at me though. No one else ever saw that. My mom says I used to wake up in the middle of the night when I was little, I would be standing up in my crib crying, pointing at a rocking chair. I've no memory of this at all though so I don't know why, but we speculate ghosts since people say children are more innocent and can see spirits more clear. Dunno though. It really doesn't contribute to the 'creepy story' thing but I thought it was relevant and interesting after the post above. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by AddyShadows View Post
    Part of me wants to say "lucky!" to you for having that kind of experience, the other part of me would be terrified and would never want that to happen to myself or anyone ever. Lol.

My house used to be a like, not a church but they had sunday school here and held services here for people for a large part of it's life, I'm honestly surprised I've not seen more ghostly things like that. I can only recall one, when I was little i used to see a colonial looking guy standing at the top of the stairs all the time. Or if I was standing at the top he'd be at the bottom. Was weird, he'd always be smiling at me though. No one else ever saw that. My mom says I used to wake up in the middle of the night when I was little, I would be standing up in my crib crying, pointing at a rocking chair. I've no memory of this at all though so I don't know why, but we speculate ghosts since people say children are more innocent and can see spirits more clear. Dunno though. It really doesn't contribute to the 'creepy story' thing but I thought it was relevant and interesting after the post above. lol.
    That is an interesting experience. Did you house date back to colonial times? Sometimes newer houses are built on top of the site of a much older dwelling. It does make one wonder about the next world of life.

That is an interesting experience. Did you house date back to colonial times? Sometimes newer houses are built on top of the site of a much older dwelling. It does make one wonder about the next world of life.
    My house was built around 1700-1750, we're not really sure. We only have vague records, the only concrete record we have is that an addition was built on it in the early 1800's. That's the only concrete date we have, everything else just points to that it was made at some point between 1700 and 1750. . . lol. So Imma go with yes for the colonial times question, but I could be off by 25 or so years, lol.

My house was built around 1700-1750, we're not really sure. We only have vague records, the only concrete record we have is that an addition was built on it in the early 1800's. That's the only concrete date we have, everything else just points to that it was made at some point between 1700 and 1750. . . lol. So Imma go with yes for the colonial times question, but I could be off by 25 or so years, lol.
    That's awesome. I love old buildings and I've love to see it. They used to have shows of TV (HGTV) where they'd restore very old houses. The things they'd find in the walls were always interesting.

That's awesome. I love old buildings and I've love to see it. They used to have shows of TV (HGTV) where they'd restore very old houses. The things they'd find in the walls were always interesting.
    Unfortunately the house is falling apart, lol. The house itself is nice but after so long of improper care before we got it it's really just kinda collapsing around itself. All of the wood working inside is original though, it's kinda neat. It's also kinda like a time capsule because the electric wiring from when the first electrics were wired into the house in the 1800's are still there. All of the old knob and tube things, really neat.

Unfortunately the house is falling apart, lol. The house itself is nice but after so long of improper care before we got it it's really just kinda collapsing around itself. All of the wood working inside is original though, it's kinda neat. It's also kinda like a time capsule because the electric wiring from when the first electrics were wired into the house in the 1800's are still there. All of the old knob and tube things, really neat.
    Our first house was built in the early part of the 20th century, and had push button wall switches to turn on the ceiling lights. All the woodwork was stained and varnished and in very good condition. The walls were lathe and plaster and difficult for me to repair.

Default The Creepiest Thing that happened to you

Although I didn't really realize it at the time, I'd have to say my creepiest moment was probably being stuck on the grounds of an old abandoned tuberculosis hospital for a few hours with a broken chain on my bike's rear wheel.

I used to ride up a pretty large hill near to where I used to live for the sole reason of flying down it at crazy (probably unsafe) speeds on a regular basis. I liked the hill for its bike riding potential, but most people knew it for a different reason:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409544244.226019.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	21793

There was an old, abandoned gothic style tuberculosis hospital towards the top of the hill (Waverly Hills Sanatorium). I grew up around it, and to be honest My friends and I often didn't give it a second thought, because at the time it was nothing more than a big ugly building in the way of a kid wanting to ride a bike.

Back then, when it had a different owner than it does now, you could freely walk onto the property and even the infamous 'Death Tunnel'/Body Chute where they carried the bodies of the dead TB patients down the hill to the waiting hearses. (We didn't know it's actual purpose back then, I'm glad to say).

Anyways, I can think of at least two occasions where I got that unexplained, creepy weird feeling that something just...wasn't right, while I was up there alone by the building itself. Back in the days before it became what it is today (basically a busy tourist trap/paranormal destination) it was something far creepier, just a silent, dark, uninhabited eerie place whose purpose no one really understood (speaking of us as kids).

Thinking back to when I would stand up there next to a place where thousands of people died gives me chills.