Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of what's gone on in Gaza?

Little ollie

Default What do you think of what's gone on in Gaza?

Just curious to see what everyone thinks.

Hamas attacked Israel. Israel attacked back. World hates Israel for attacking back.

I have a fair few Israeli friends and so I'm kind of biased towards them. Israel is pretty good at sticking to the Geneva convention and Hamas never have been. I side with Israel on this one and the civilian casualties, while caused by Israel, would be avoidable if people in Gaza moved when told.

Before any bombing, Israel informs the population in an area there is going to be an attack. They do this with loud speakers, pamphlets and everything. They wait a few hours ... sometimes days.. then they attack.

This is one thing that my mate saw when he was serving in Gaza. Before Hamas was a government and not just a terrorist group they used to do some disgusting things. The worst one he saw was they hired a 5 yr old boy to walk towards the fence. The Israeli's fired multiple warning shots but eventually, due to him possibly carrying a bomb, they had to shoot him in the leg. He wasn't carrying a bomb but was just a test to see how close kids could get to the fence before being shot.

I have no respect at all for Hamas but I feel sorry for the Gazan's who die yet aren't involved in the war.

Certainly israel has a right to defend itself from rocket attacks. It does not, however, have the right to respond with such force that is bound to cause catastrophic collateral damage.

Israel has the right to invade Gaza, but only if they were threatening them. I mean, hey, if you were the leader of a country like Israel, and say Iran was threatening you, wouldn't you attack them?

I fully support Israel in this one. Just remember, the Jewish people there were almost wiped out in World War 2. Of course they're going to be aggressive against threats to their country.

Now, if Gaza didn't do anything, then Israel can blow up for all I care. Nobody has a right to invade a defenseless nation, no matter the circumstances. (That is, if their intentions are blowing up the country itself.)

But, if they were trying to free them from an evil dictator, like the U.S. and Iraq when Saddam Hussein was still in power, then by all means, go for it. However, I think scenario 1 is the case here.

Just my

Ok. A few points.

Israel really isn't their country. The Jewish people were given it by super powers due to the holocaust. Palestinians had land taken away from them that they had occupied for thousands of years just because the Jews had it when Jesus was around. Therefore you have to ask ... who attacked first?
    I know I support Israel but the point I'm trying to make is that war is never straight forward.

And the US didn't attack to get rid of Saddam. The excuse was he had weapons of mass destruction... which he didn't. I'll use two quotes from Machine Head now.

"All they needed was a pretext. War's next."
    and
    "Who has won when we're all dead?"
    Machine Head - A Farewell to Arms

Come now, elements of the ruling party of the strip were lobbing missiles into Israeli towns. Surely Israel has the right to respond with commensurate force.

FullMetal

I may be bias because I do have family in Israel, but I am going to try my hardest not to be. The war is extremely complicated and if you want to really know why this is happening, you will have to read quite a bit because I am not willing to write a lot.

Hamas has been sending bombs off into Israel for a very long time. So Silent these are not threats that are going on, these are attacks that kill people- bombs that land on houses and destroy schools. So, on the Israeli side, they have every right to invade and try to weed out Hamas. Now, you also have to understand that t is not only Hamas that is in Gaza, there are regular citizens among them. The problem with fighting in this situation, is Israel does not want to kill the citizens, but the Hamas who are trying to destroy Israel.

What you also have to see is, these Hamas troops are hiding under schools. They use children as shields to protect themselves for opposition. Israel has to still attack, so what do they do? They send out letters (from plane) telling a town that they are going to be bombed. They also call them and the troops in the areas tell them. They do this to have everyone evacuate and only the Hamas left to be killed.

Now the problem is, this is Gaza:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/maps/images/maps/israel_map.gif

See that little piece of land there. It is inhabited with about 1.5 million people. That is a problem. See how it is surrounded, on one side by the Israelis and on the other Egypt. And both of those countries do not want them leaving, and don't let them. So you have people who are almost trapped, but you still have a great threat to Israel.

I fully support Israel because these people want them dead, just because they hate them. These are people who will hide behind their own, even children, and watch them die and not care. It is one thing to fight soldiers, it is another thing to fight people with no conscious and no regard for others lives.

FullMetal

Quote Originally Posted by FullMetal View Post
    Hamas has been sending bombs off into Israel for a very long time. So Silent these are not threats that are going on, these are attacks that kill people- bombs that land on houses and destroy schools. So, on the Israeli side, they have every right to invade and try to weed out Hamas. Now, you also have to understand that t is not only Hamas that is in Gaza, there are regular citizens among them. The problem with fighting in this situation, is Israel does not want to kill the citizens, but the Hamas who are trying to destroy Israel.l
    Right, I know. By threats, I also meant any attacks that have occurred in the recent past. I know that Hamas has bombed Israel, I just wanted to try and be as short as possible. Sorry for the misunderstanding, and poor word choice.

Ah. But Metal. Does Hamas have a right to take but what was taken from them?

Ok. If the UN gave your home to Muslims because they felt bad for something that happened to them. Would you fight it? What about your whole country?

I don't believe Israel should have been given to the Jewish people in the first place. Not when it was already occupied by a different people for hundreds of years before. I don't agree with Hamas' fighting or their genocidal policy either.

I think the whole thing is just stupid. My mates all thought it was stupid.

Here's another one. In Gaza there are Israeli's that refused to leave when Israel gave the Palestinians Gaza. My mate had to go in, unarmed, and beat the crap out of them and take them out. That was his job in the army.

Here's a question. In the last 40 years the US government has funded and trained terrorist groups in Cuba that have killed over 3000 civilians. Does Cuba have the right to attack the US?