Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kicked out/kicking your kids out.

Default Kicked out/kicking your kids out.

What would it take for you to kick your children out of your house?
    Would you hate them?
    Have you ever been kicked out?
    Would you do it if you were kicked out?

Butterfly Mage

I've never been kicked out. But my father was so abusive to me that I willingly got out just as soon as I could. I started working at age 14 just so that I would be away from my dad for long periods of time.

I do know two people who were kicked out by their parents. They were adopted by one of my friends and her husband. The two kids made the unforgivable sin of telling their parents that they were gay. Of course, since fundamentalist Christianity is such a loving religion, their parents threw the two kids out into the street (ages 14 and 15).

My friend was a member of the same church that the fundamentalist parents went to. Since she and her husband gave the two gay kids a home for the next five years, she and her husband were both banned from that church too.

So they're Episcopalian instead of Baptist now. The gay teens are Wiccan and want absolutely nothing to do with Christianity.

I have a few friends that have been kicked out for selling drugs, and a few that have to lie to their parents about stuff so as not to be kicked out

My mom's done the whole "Bla bla get out!" When I really piss her off, but she's never actually kicked me out.

However, to live in my home, considering I am an adult, I have to either be in school, or I have to have a job / pay rent.

Would I ever kick my children out? If it was in their best interest. I think letting your 20 something child sit at home doing nothing is worse than kicking them out. However if my kids are going to school, or if they have a job and are just saving up or something then they're most certainly welcome.

Also - as my mother has pointed out to me, and I will to my kids, age doesn't matter. If you're living at home, you're under my roof, and my rules apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Valerye View Post
    Would you hate them?
    1. They would have to be a disruptive, rebellious, and a danger to other members of the household.

2. I'd hate what they're doing but not them. They're still my offspring and I'd want to see their lives turn around. If they did they'd be welcomed back home.

3. No

4. If kicked out, I'd try to have a close relative take me in.

~Pramrider

annierighthurr

I was kicked out when I was 14 years old. I was NOT welcome back. I lived on the street for more then 6 months, then I lived with this guy Erik, who is 12 years older then me and I lost my virginity to him. we lived together for a year or so (going between different houses, apartments, and homelessness), during which at some point my mom called him up and told him he could have me for all she cared. and then I was sent to live in this transitional housing program for homeless youth and he moved out to hawaii (wink wink). the trans housing program reunited me with my family, but even since then i've had countless roommates, lived with BFs, etc, because my mother kicks me out regularly, soemtimes for one night, sometimes for months.

now im moving to hawaii to live with erik, since we are togther again and to escape an inevitable permanent kick out.

Moral of the story, id never do that to my kid. its one thing to kick out an adult child who has the means to get on his or her own ground but i had nothing. and yes, i do believe that my mother hated me when she kicked me out. i have a really shaky history with her and my dad, a long history of abuse and foster care.

and i just wanna say, tis never as simple as it looks. "what would you do if you were kicked out" is a question that has no answer, cause u dont really know til it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Valerye View Post
    Would you hate them?
    1. In order for me to kick my kids out, they'd either have to be 24 and doing nothing, or commit a serious crime. Other than that, I would never do anything like that.

2. No, I don't hate anyone. I believe you can dislike someone, but should never hate them. "Hating" someone for being tempted by Satan/ The Devil is wrong, because EVERYONE has sinned. (Sorry for integrating my religion into this, I don't care if you don't believe this, I won't be mad at you, or think anything less of you.)

3. No, I'm only 13. My parents would only kick me out if I were gay, which I'm not, or if I had insulted my parents badly past age 18.

4. If I were kicked out below 18, I would call the police. After that, I'd probably notify my sister, one of my brothers, or my extended family in Michigan and Wisconsin. Parents do not have the right to kick a minor out of their home, I don't care who you are or what you do for a living. That is wrong. But if I were over 18, I would get a job if I didn't already have one, and get my own place to stay at. Also, depending on the reason for my eviction, I would cut off communications with my parents.

annierighthurr

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post
    4. If I were kicked out below 18, I would call the police. After that, I'd probably notify my sister, one of my brothers, or my extended family in Michigan and Wisconsin. Parents do not have the right to kick a minor out of their home, I don't care who you are or what you do for a living. That is wrong. But if I were over 18, I would get a job if I didn't already have one, and get my own place to stay at. Also, depending on the reason for my eviction, I would cut off communications with my parents.
    sometimes staying on the street is a better alternative then going home, regardless of whether its illegal or not, just saying.

I would only kick out a kid if he/she was dangerous to other members in the household (Except for myself).

My mate kicked her son out of her house because he was into drugs but, more importantly, he was violent. Since then he has come back 14 times to try to sort himself out. 13 times he's gone violent again but this time he has been clean for 6 months and is a top bloke.

I think it's important that parents accept their kids back if they want to sort themselves out. Otherwise there really is little hope of them coming good. If a parent doesn't do something to help... who will?