Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Durability

Pulluplover

Default Durability

An element not generally associated with Diapers, but let me explain. I typically will wear one over night, on the nights I wear but continue with it through out the day. I many times don't pee to save on diaper cost. While peeing is great, just the feel of diapers is enough. I am sure there are some light IC folks that dont need to go all the time.

However, I find diapers do wear out, especially from tossing around in the bed at night. Good nites seem the most prone to damage, although they can usually still make it through 1/2 the next day. Ab style tend to stretch our during the night. Liners sometimes start to separate.

What are your experiences? And have you found some diapers better for long term wear with out using? Particularly DL/AB style?

All disposable diapers will eventually deteriorate. I often done the same as you, the diaper usually ended up being no good for use after a time or two.

I can suggest to you cloth diapers. I bought cloth diapers for those moments I don't want to wear for long. They can be washed and used as often as you wish as well. They don't bunch at all and you get a consistent thickness throughout the diaper and you can take it off and on without wasting anymore money.

Pulluplover

I have not tried cloth at all yet, but its becoming more and more something I want to try soon.

Here is a list of durability issues I have had before with disposables continuing from night to day...
    goodnites/drynites-Old style were great and held together for at least 3 nights (dry). New style easily tear at the designs/stretchy sides area which they eventually fall apart completely...
    Tena maxi medium non-plastic backing- I found the tabs loose their grip after an few hours if you are a rough sleeper...
    molicare non-plastic backing- the tabs loose their grip after a night and a half

molicare and the old style goodnites are the best for night time to day time use imo :3
    the diapers that fit best will last longer also so the tena medium review may vary

Quote Originally Posted by Pulluplover View Post
    I have not tried cloth at all yet, but its becoming more and more something I want to try soon.
    It's really worth it. I have a set I've designed for myself and it's great. You can make as thick as you want. I wear pre-fold diapers because they seem to give a more customizable fit. I have an XL Baby-pants.com pre-fold made with twill weave. Then I stuff it with about a dozen baby pre-folds, and when I want it to be thicker, I put on a bath towel for even more thickness. I don't use pins, I use Snappi fasteners, and Boingo fasteners. It makes it a breeze to put on. Then I put on plastic pants. Onesies are great to wear over then because they help it to not sag and helps to keep it in place. It's an extremely thick diaper. If you want crinkles, get the Gerber white plastic pants from Baby-pants. They are inexpensive and are fun. I used to waste a lot of money on wearing diapers temporarily without use. I use this combination usually without the towel, otherwise it would take a long, long, long time to fill it. Also, you don't have to worry about not using the diaper to it's capability, because you're not throwing it away. I still wear disposable quite often, I love them.

Another reason for cloth is that you can wear the cloth diaper over a disposable for added thickness without wasting money on doubling up or booster pads.

Just make sure you get something that fits right and don't jump on something because you think it will fit, measure yourself, don't trust pant size, because it doesn't work like that. Purchase a sewing measuring tape from Wal-Mart. Preferably one that is at least 6ft long.

This will help you to avoid wasting money on a mistake. You usually cannot get an exchange once you've opened the package.

Never use bleach or fabric softener, it will ruin your diaper.

Tena Slips seem to stay up & comfortable much longer than the Abena M-4s for me.

I'm not entirely sure *why* this is, but I've always found that diapers with a higher than usual SAP content seem to hold up better than those without, both when dry and wet. Diapers that are high in pulp always seem to have horrible bunching and desperation issues in the padding for me, so I tend to avoid them.

Also, the strength of a diapers plastic backing is any factor, I've heard that the new dry 24/7's have very strong plastic, and the bambino line have never disappointed me in the durability of their shells.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan09 View Post
    I'm not entirely sure *why* this is, but I've always found that diapers with a higher than usual SAP content seem to hold up better than those without, both when dry and wet. Diapers that are high in pulp always seem to have horrible bunching and desperation issues in the padding for me, so I tend to avoid them.

Also, the strength of a diapers plastic backing is any factor, I've heard that the new dry 24/7's have very strong plastic, and the bambino line have never disappointed me in the durability of their shells.
    The Dry/24's do indeed have strong plastic. Over 8 hours of use, they don't seem to stretch out very much. The Bambinos doo stretch a bit but I still enjoy them. I just tape them tight.

the best thing you can do for this is probably get a full matted one like ATNs or Dry24/7s so they dont really clump up. They stay in form for a LONG time

Quote Originally Posted by BouncyBoy View Post
    The Dry/24's do indeed have strong plastic. Over 8 hours of use, they don't seem to stretch out very much. The Bambinos doo stretch a bit but I still enjoy them. I just tape them tight.
    That's probably my main problem as well. I always prefer a very snug fit, possibly to the point where it messes with the ability of the tapes/wings to hold correctly.

I'll really need to give dry 24/7 a try.