Thread: Cloth Diapers Without Plastic Pants?

Question Cloth Diapers Without Plastic Pants?

I have two cloth My First Training Pants and one extra thick velcro cloth diaper from Baby Pants. I really want to be able to wear the training pants when I'm out and about, but I can't wear plastic pants. Aside from the fact that they limit movement and tear somewhat easily, the legs are always too long, and cut into my legs at the elastic. They are also too hot, especially considering that I live in Tucson, Arizona. Unfortunately, my experience with wearing cloth without plastic pants is that the liquid simply wicks to the outside, defeating the purpose of the diaper.

Could someone please suggest some alternatives? Perhaps you've found a particular style of plastic pant that works good with light exercise, or maybe something else I haven't even thought of?

Thanks,
    ~Wyatt

Personally I don't like Cloth diapers and I especially dislike PVC, Rubber, etc. Plastic Pants... some of the most uncomfortable garments ever. (I mean at night, the plastic pants are not that bad, but still horrible enough in my opinion - but during the day? hell no).

However when I travel for longer trips and can not / don't want to carry tons of disposable spare diapers I sometimes opt for cloth (I make my own from microfibre towels - very quick drying and can be quite thin to still be "effective" if you're careful)
    (I wear for medical needs).

But what about the "plastic pants"? well I use PUL (poly urethane laminate fabric...)
    These are far far more comfortable than anything made from PVC, Rubber & co.
    they are also slightly breathable, chafe far less - are thinner and yet far more sturdy as the PU is laminated (bonded) with a textile (non-wicking material, thus easy to wash / dry quickly) layer...

maybe that would be an option?

That could work. It seems to solve all the problems other than the mobility one.

Are there any other possibilities? I may not need absolute protection, but something that prevents the wicked liquid from wicking into my pants.

actually if you get high quality PUL the impact on mobility (if you get the right size) is minimal.

Sizing is crucial.

Other alternatives?
    Well don't use the diapers? Sorry - but if you are not Incontinent you have a choice so make use of that choice if you want to wear your cloth diapers without PUL,PVC,Etc... and not have them wet through... the only way to achieve this is by NOT using them.
    But the very moment you use the cloth diapers you will need some type of cover or the urine will seep through.

Then there's disposable diapers.
    Much more comfortable and convenient in comparison to cloth diapers.

Here's another option. Dependeco AIO diapers. They are made with a PUL liner sewn in. Monika also has PUL diapers.
    Here's the link www.dependeco-adult-diapers.com

Quote Originally Posted by EPO1 View Post
    actually if you get high quality PUL the impact on mobility (if you get the right size) is minimal.

Sizing is crucial.

Other alternatives?
    Well don't use the diapers? Sorry - but if you are not Incontinent you have a choice so make use of that choice if you want to wear your cloth diapers without PUL,PVC,Etc... and not have them wet through... the only way to achieve this is by NOT using them.
    But the very moment you use the cloth diapers you will need some type of cover or the urine will seep through.

Then there's disposable diapers.
    Much more comfortable and convenient in comparison to cloth diapers.
    Yeah, I think that the main reason they're too uncomfortable is that I get the wrong size. If I had to pick, would I go with the waist size it says for me, bigger than that, or smaller than that?

Quote Originally Posted by oleman72 View Post
    Here's another option. Dependeco AIO diapers. They are made with a PUL liner sewn in. Monika also has PUL diapers.
    Here's the link www.dependeco-adult-diapers.com
    OOOOOOOOOOH! I like that! Now I wonder if anyone sells the training pants style ones...

EDIT: That site has the training pants too! Super happy.

You can also check out super undies. They seem to be more geared to your liking.

I'll just add that you can't wear cloth diapers without some sort of plastic pants if you're going to wet in them. I do have a couple pair of PUL plastic pants, one small and one medium. They fit differently and accomplish different things. If I'm up and about, the medium will eventually leak around the legs, whereas the small won't, but are less comfortable.

so those super undies which absorbs more the cotton nighttime or the microfiber?

When you buy any kind of cover for cloth diapers, always look both at the waist size and at the thigh hole size.

I have large thighs relative to my waist size. If I order plastic pants based on my waist size, the leg openings will be way too small, and they will start chafing within 2-3 hours. If I order plastic pants that are appropriate to my thigh size, I'm fine. In some brands (e.g. the PEVA pants from Baby Pants), I need a 2XL, even though I normally wear size M or size L clothing.