Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Else Encountered This?

Post Anyone Else Encountered This?

A little while back, I was sent a message by someone living relatively close by explaining that he was a 19 year old AB who need a "mentor." I chose not to respond. I don't trust people's ages online, and regardless, I wasn't going to "mentor" anyone. Yet I felt bad for him. Clearly he was lost with his feelings.

Anyone ever been asked to be a mentor or asked someone else? What did you do?

I send people messages like that..... But not the mentoring part, just saying I live nearby and am bored...

I'm sure some of them peg me as a freak but I don't care, I have met at least one good friend that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_d View Post
    I send people messages like that..... But not the mentoring part, just saying I live nearby and am bored...

I'm sure some of them peg me as a freak but I don't care, I have met at least one good friend that way.
    *cough* Yes you have

I haven't received one of those, but it would definitely creep me out. Now if someone just wants to talk and see if there's a basis for a friendship, that's fine and dandy. I just don't like it when someone seems to have preconceived notions about the relationship before we've even talked. I don't want someone who's figuratively looking at their watch while we're talking and wondering why the relationship isn't progressing as quickly as it should toward their personally determined destination.

I didn't mean to imply that I find the use of the internet as a tool for meeting to people to be creepy. I do that as well. But it was opening the conversation with a plea for me to teach the how to be an AB, if such a thing is possible, that I found disconcerting. It seemed along the lines of an "are you wet" kind of message. This person needed someone to talk to, but his understanding of what that talk was a kind creeper.

Where did you get the message?
    Some sites have weird people on them... Like aby.com... my profile there claims to be under a metre tall, and says I have blue hair, and weigh 624lbs. Yet I still have a few messages. I listed one of my hobbies as "jogging" (I typed random words, "fire" was another one ) and already have had requests for going jogging diapered!!

So depending on the site, I'd ignore it...

It was MySpace. I never responded, but there were follow-up mssgs sent. Ignored those too.

Peachy

MySpace is probably 95% liars, so ignore it.

Personally, I don't mind that type of messages, provided they have a reason. A simple "I live near you" isn't good enough - I could probably figure that out simply by looking at someone's profile information. So there's gotta be more to it than that, and more than a "let's meet and diaper each other"-suggestion!

Peachy

Be afraid, very afraid. You did the right thing, just ignore the messages.

It's difficult, though, isn't it? People who've found themselves with these strange desires tend to need a little reassuring (or let's face it, a lot!). On the other hand it would be pretty sad if ADISC turned into an AB/DL singles bar ... it would be useful to have a form of words indicating to such pushy types that ADISC is about support; that if friendships naturally grow out of online chat that's a different matter; take your time and get acquainted.

I think it wouldn't hurt to have a kindly worded outline somewhere - on a forum sticky maybe - about what is and isn't appropriate here. Maybe there is already! I haven't explored every nook and cranny ...