Thread: Hospitals

Default Hospitals

Hi, I am fully aware that hospitals are very serious places etc but should I need to go at some stage how do I make sure they use a diaper rather than a cathedar? I hate cathedars and have had a history of wetting the bed in hosoitals. If I go in with a diaper on will they just kinda keep me in them? Ive just heard that diapers are a absolute last resort

Fluffyboy,

Here I can speak from multiple experience and view points... first of I'm Incontinent and a Bedwetter and I used to work as a paramedic, so hospitals are places I have some insight into. And also I was basically run over by an idiot driver (long story) and thus used to spend a bit of quality time as a patient at hospitals.

Let me address a few points:
    You're a DL - and as you say have rare bedwetting incidents at hospitals (so you should know how they deal with this) - but you are not IC -are you?

- You don't "need" diapers for medical reasons - so leave them at home and don't burden hospital staff with this - please.
    - Hospital beds are well protected and a wet bed isn't a rarity either... if it happens nightly or very frequently, you can let the staff know about the issue and can mention that you use diapers for this... you can ask whether they can supply them or if you should bring your own before you go... But make sure you let them know anyhow.
    Also you can bring your own - but do NOT just wear them if you don't need them aside from the night!
    You can put it on yourself - so don't hassle the staff with it.
    - The hospital usually does not provide really high quality diapers (with a few notable exceptions) ... if you happen to have a doctors recipe for diapers (as I do) you can get your diapers (the ones you usually use, as long as they are available through the hospital pharmacy) - this is what I did when I had a prolonged stay, so I didn't need to bother bringing in a ton of things.
    The hospital would though far more likely just slap an absorbent bed pad under you or fixation panties (mesh) + pad... diapers are more hassle... more work. and if you don't insist or have significant need & reason usually not the first choice.
    - if you're going for an OP - DO Not wear diapers... during the op, if it requires it, a catheter will be used... DIAPERS HAVE NO PLACE in the OP. (hygienic & practical reasons).
    - after that (recovery, etc.) you will NOT be made to wear a catheter for bedwetting (or most IC matters).
    - Catheters are not "forced" on you - well, if your medical condition requires one, you're out of options but that is another story.
    - For IC purposes catheters are not often the first choice either - but if it is suggested, you can always refuse. Your rights, your choice.

Last but not least if you really have no IC issues and your bedwetting is very rare, try not to push your kink onto the hospital staff.
    And again, if you have frequent bedwetting issues - TALK to the administration / the nurse / etc...it's never a problem and always preferred if you inform them ahead of time. (usually this will result in a bed-pad etc... )

Yes diapers are the last resort, again because it is more time & work intensive for the staff and doesn't provide so much convenience for you most of the time either at a hospital.
    But catheters are never used for bedwetting..... seriously wrong idea

I agree completely w/ EP. Don't bother the nurses with that. They're busy enough as it is. I just got out of the hospital and they take about 20 minutes on average (sometimes they'd go unanswered) to answer my calls if it's not an emergency. They're very busy and people have serious NEEDS in the hospital that should be attended to. If you're going to wear a diaper for whatever reason, keep them out of it. I know you haven't said anything about asking them to change you or supply you with anything, but I just thought that needs to be mentioned.

Oh, and I am IC and they never used a catheter on me. They never even brought one in the room. They're not going to use anything like that which isn't necessary. The medical industry avoids invasive procedures and that is pretty invasive. Bring your own stuff, because anything they give you is going to be expensive (I ran up $1,100 from the pharmacy in 5 days and I don't take any expensive medications... they did give me a walker). They have no reason to use a catheter unless your incontinence is an overflow type, and they wouldn't do that to you while in bed because what if you roll over in your sleep? OUCH!!!

I wouldnt bother the nurses at all. I understand they are busy and not there for my kink etc.

Incontinence is a medical problem, but its not always in the hospital records. I suppose it is possible to go in with a diaper on, and as long as it is used for both reasons and they are well aware that you would call yourself incontinent, I'm sure they would fall for it. But it's not something that I would do and could lead to some awkward moments if the family is to come in and the nurses ask if they know of 'your incontinence'. I wouldn't do it. Leave it to the time you have at home to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Themanswifesman View Post
    Incontinence is a medical problem, but its not always in the hospital records. I suppose it is possible to go in with a diaper on, and as long as it is used for both reasons and they are well aware that you would call yourself incontinent, I'm sure they would fall for it. But it's not something that I would do and could lead to some awkward moments if the family is to come in and the nurses ask if they know of 'your incontinence'. I wouldn't do it. Leave it to the time you have at home to do that.
    Just as a side note: nurses are bound to some confidentiality - same as your doctors.
    They will not walk up beside you and start to talk to your family or friends about your medical issues or ask "if they knew about your IC"...
    simply doesn't happen - could get them fired.

Keep in mind, that if you tell people that you're incontinent - they will treat that as a serious symptom. Don't waste their time if you are not truly incontinent.

Echoing the above:

I have been a chronic bedwetter since an early teen, and have been hospitalized quite a few times.

You will be catheterized for general anesthesia surgery. If you have no bladder control, or are unconscious, or if your urine needs to be monitored, you will likely be catheterized.

Otherwise, if (like me) you sleep-wet, you are likely to be in a diaper. The hospital will supply diapers, but they generally are not very good. I bring my own high-volume pads and fixation pants.

Also let me echo that if you can change yourself, do so. More generally, anything you can do yourself, do yourself. The staff has more important things to do -- including saving lives -- than changing your diaper.

When I was younger, I was in the hospital in leg traction (and under serious muscle relaxants, which aggravated my bedwetting). I had to have help changing. But I let the staff know that I should be their last priority when I buzzed for a change.

I now wear a pad and fixation pant rather than the briefs I wore then. The pad is much easier to change, and you should consider using one instead of a brief.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixieperfect View Post
    Keep in mind, that if you tell people that you're incontinent - they will treat that as a serious symptom. Don't waste their time if you are not truly incontinent.
    Ain't THAT the truth!! Essentially, it is best when few (if any) are the wiser, no matter what your status.
    Last edited by Andrewgdfw; 09-Aug-2014 at 17:29. Reason: clarity

I had to be kept catheterized for extended time between 2 surgeries but that was because I wasn't allowed out of bed or move in bed much for 3 weeks was a living nightmare surgery on ribs then spine