Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I am not a fur and I know nothing about it, enlighten me?

Question I am not a fur and I know nothing about it, enlighten me?

I have no experience with this and I do not believe I would want to take part, but I am not one to judge! To each is their own! I was just curious about it though. What is it? Why do you choose to do it? When did it start? What type of gratification does it carry for you--sexual, happiness in general, comfort, or what?

I'm just curious. I do not want to put anyone down or anything like that. Just want to learn about it, since it is part of this site and all.

Thanks.

For me it was a process of realization of why I'd had the feelings I had since I was like 5. For some, furriness manifests as a fascination with anthropomorphic animals. For others, it's a sexual attraction toward the same. For me, it's both. I feel that I can relate to / understand anthros better than people. *shrug*

- - - Updated - - -

https://en.wikifur.com/wiki/Furry

Thanks for the info. I'm not too good with some terminology there but maybe one day. Again, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spanko18 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I'm not too good with some terminology there but maybe one day. Again, thanks
    Here, let's do it without any weird terms. Furry is a very broad term. In general, it means somebody who is interested in animals, especially anthropomorphic animals (anthropomorphic means animals with human features or humans with animal features, in case you're unfamiliar with it). Many people, but not all, use it to mean someone who is sexually attracted to anthropomorphic animals or sexually attracted to animal features of various sorts. I'm going to repeat here that it's broad, so some people will say they're a furry because they like drawing and looking at art of anthropomorphic animals, none of which is especially sexual, whereas other people use it only to refer to sexual attraction. It also can mean being part of the fandom, which again varies anywhere between viewing some artists on furaffinity all the way to buying a costume and attending multiple conventions every year.

Using myself as an example, I do not consider myself a furry, but I love a lot of the art people make (especially the furry kids in diapers art due to my other interests), and I admit that some of the cuter catgirls with the little fangs are pretty hot.

Thanks for the laymen-friendly reply. Now I know! It seems a bit different to me, but again I am not one to judge by any means. We are all different, and whatever you are into you are into!

Furry just means you like anthro animals and artwork depicting them. I know furs that only draw G-rated work. I also know furs that draw only kink work. Most, myself included, draw both. You can be a part of the furry fandom without being sexually attracted to anthros in any way.

(And as much as some of them deny it, Bronies are definitely a part of the fandom... they're the part that likes anthro rainbow ponies!)

People will claim that being a furry is them finding their "true self" as if they're literally an animal by heart.

Don't listen to them. It's legitimately, in its most simplistic form, is just a style of RP that involves RPing as anthropomorphic animals, rather than RPing as humans. You like the artwork involving humanized animals, you enjoy roleplaying as one, and you like the idea of it. That's pretty much it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumball View Post
    People will claim that being a furry is them finding their "true self" as if they're literally an animal by heart.

Don't listen to them. It's legitimately, in its most simplistic form, is just a style of RP that involves RPing as anthropomorphic animals, rather than RPing as humans. You like the artwork involving humanized animals, you enjoy roleplaying as one, and you like the idea of it. That's pretty much it.
    This is where I fall, though I more often think of myself as a ferret than a human (e.g., I have fur instead of hair, claws instead of nails, paws instead of hands, etc.). Mainly because I think my personality and thought processes are closer to those if some hybrid of a human and a ferret than they are to "normal" human.

Don't listen to them.
    This made my day. Thank you.

Sorry, But telling people to ignore how some people would describe their own involvement in the fandom isn't exactly explaining the fandom honestly or fairly.

The fandom is a vast range of different things to different people. All and all, the single unifying factor is an interest in anthropomorphic (Human-like) animals. My personal interest is in the art, the roleplay, and the costuming, but in fairness I also have friends in the fandom who consider it to be their most pure form of self expression for exactly the reasons you told him to ignore.