Thread: Doing the right thing?

Default Doing the right thing?

Two nights a go now while walking home from a buddies place, I came upon a pick up truck that was harassing two young ladies.

These two younger girls were being harassed by some guys in a truck, I could tell they were uncomfortable by the way they were looking around. I walked by, and didn't think even think twice before asking, "Are you bothering these ladies?" Giving them enough time to get away from the people in the truck. I almost got beaten up but I was not going to let anything happen there. The guys were a few years older than me and kept asking if they had brothers or sisters, and where they were going.

I was just wondering do you think I did the right thing? It's been bothering me the last few days... I almost got the ever living shit kicked out of me, but I feel like even if I did get beat up it still would have been worth it.

You did do the right thing! If the girls didn't mind you butting in they would have told you. I hope you're OK. Good job!

Did you happen to get the license plate number of the truck?

Yep. You had to do something. Either what you did, or call the police and wait at a safe distance til they showed.

Edit: I'd have probably done the same thing. Not that worried about them going after me unless they're armed. I can be pretty scary looking.
    Last edited by Maxx; 17-Jul-2014 at 21:45.

Quote Originally Posted by zipperless View Post
    You did do the right thing! If the girls didn't mind you butting in they would have told you. I hope you're OK. Good job!

Did you happen to get the license plate number of the truck?
    I unfortunately did not, they drove off before I could put it down in my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowBlitz View Post
    I unfortunately did not, they drove off before I could put it down in my phone.
    You did the right thing.

You still should report it to the local authorities so that they are on the look out for these "pucks".

I agree, I would have done it too. In fact I have done a similar thing once and know full well that feeling of terror that hangs around afterwards. I know you have to measure the risk but it's hard to walk by on these things.
    Pics on the phone....if you can do it safely , see an awesome record.

Good samaritans are hard to come by these days. So yes.

You did the right thing and lucked out in that it turned out well for everyone. That sort of thing can be dangerous, but I still think it's worth doing if you happen to be in the right place at the right time. Also, if you ever see something more dangerous going on, you should call the police. It's hard to know, during a fight if somebody has a knife or a gun, so I do not recommend getting in a physical confrontation with random people.

I have to agree that you did what every citizen should do. Remember that your smart phone, if you have one, is your best weapon. You can take pictures of the truck and license plates and post them to your Facebook page or send them to the police.

Believe it or not, I've had this happen to me on several occasions when I was much younger. Once was when I was in college and went out for a walk at night. Two guys in a car started following me and then they stopped and started giving me the typical line of BS. I had a boyfriend at the time and knew all the innuendo/ language, etc. It happened again shortly after I was married and two guys started to tail me in their big Lincoln Continental after the line of BS in the parking lot. I had a 340 Duster built for the track and had fun ditching them. I later saw them in my bank.

When I was younger, even after college and married, I still looked like a high school freshman, and some men, as we know, really like that. So I know what it's like to be pursued by guys who want to pick you up and have their way. You really saved these girls.