Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got a laptop

Default Got a laptop

So yeah as the title says. I got a laptop. It not new but it works. Its a Compaq Presario V2000.

Specs:

Mobile AMD Sempron 1.79 GHz
    1 GB of RAM

It was running Windows Vista when I got it but I put Windows XP on it.

How much did you pay for it? Since that's a pretty crappy laptop by today's standards.

2low

how did u downgrade that suka , mine won even load xp disk i put in it , something to do with lousy sata crap

I find it hard to believe that WinXP doesn't have SATA support . Plus SATA isn't lousy.. it's better than PATA .

Quote Originally Posted by 2low View Post
    how did u downgrade that suka , mine won even load xp disk i put in it , something to do with lousy sata crap
    English?

Congrats on the new laptop mike!

Quote Originally Posted by 2low View Post
    How new is your install disc? I had that same sata problem that wouldn't let me install XP with older Windows xp discs that only had service pack 1(SP1), however the install worked perfectly fine on the same computer with a newer Windows xp disc that has service pack 3(SP3) on the disc.

So if you only have an older windows XP disc that only has SP1 or SP2 on the disc then you might want to try finding one that has SP3. You can also create a new disc yourself that has SP3 from your old disc through a process called slipsteaming. Click here for a link to a site I found that tells you how to do that. I didn't read through it all the way yet, if I find a better site I'll post it.

Edit: Apparently someone made a freeware program called nLite that should make creating a sp3 disc easier. I've never used it, but if you need a sp3 disc you might want to give it a try, it seems like it would be easier than the manual way in the link above. Click here for instuctions on where to find nLite and how to use it. You'll also need a program like Nero to burn the iso image file it outputs to a blank cd.

I'm not 100% sure it will fix your problem, but it did fix my sata problem.
    Last edited by Kale; 16-Jan-2009 at 08:00. Reason: Added a link

The only thing I can think of for 2low is this: Is you xp disc an OEM copy from a different manufacturer than the computer your trying to downgrade. I know I have 4 XP discs and 3 of them are Dell OEMS so will not work on other manufacturers computers. The other disc is not OEM. (2 of them have XP with SP1, one of them has no SP and the other is SP2. I can never remember which is which.)

Quote Originally Posted by sniper14th View Post
    The only thing I can think of for 2low is this: Is you xp disc an OEM copy from a different manufacturer than the computer your trying to downgrade. I know I have 4 XP discs and 3 of them are Dell OEMS so will not work on other manufacturers computers. The other disc is not OEM. (2 of them have XP with SP1, one of them has no SP and the other is SP2. I can never remember which is which.)
    That's something I forgot that is a very good question. I've seen two computers that have done that sata thing that doesn't let you install XP. One was a friends computer he built on his own and the other was my Moms Dell that came with vista pre-installed. My friend had an old hard drive he put in there from his previous computer. I kinda gotta wonder now if he ripped it out of a dell or something like that.

The OEM disc I used was just a microsoft OEM disc, it didn't come from Dell or anything like that. Is it a sata error that you get from using the wrong disc? Maybe it is just Dell and other companies being too picky on what disc you use with their hard drives. Once I did use a microsoft OEM SP3 disc though the install worked fine on both computers, so it seems like they might have fixed that on newer discs.

If I remember right it has to do with where the sata controller is. My experience is only from desktops, but I remember early motherboards with the sata controller as a separate chip wouldn't work with my XP SP2 disc (because it required the drivers for said chip). But newer boards that have the sata built into the chipset will work fine with the same disc. I'm wondering if the laptop had a separate controller for sata.