Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Network Genius !!

Default Network Genius !!

I work at a few large retail stores, and last week all the workstations lost access to the network, at one of the stores I work at.
    I go to different stores every day on a weekly schedule.

I was busy at the time so I didn't really look into it, and the store called in Nerds on Wheels to fix the problem.

All the wireless devices on the network still worked though, so all the employees were using these to access the computer.

It took the NERD 4.5 days to finally figure out that the hub connecting the workstations had died.

LOL, there's money well spent!!

Thats why nerds on wheels and geek squad will never hire me for anything. Im to damn smart. I'd probably figure that out in a couple of hours. But hey, they get to charge a lot per hour so they can take as long as possible. Seriously, they just hire dicks off the street, educate them loosely, and say: do your job.

We fix that kind of thing at my school all the time, and in minutes. Sometimes our kids will disconnect us, as the hubs are exposed in one of the computer labs. Then I go up there and re-connect. That's just our junction boxes. If the switches go out, we just replace. It's simple.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Sometimes our kids will disconnect us, as the hubs are exposed in one of the computer labs.
    That is something that I so would of done. I messed with my school's computers a lot but I never did anything that I couldn't fix myself.

Quote Originally Posted by kevindhca View Post
    It took the NERD 4.5 days to finally figure out that the hub connecting the workstations had died.

LOL, there's money well spent!!
    Wow, that's pretty sad. That is money well spent. Do you know how much that NERD got paid per hour? I hope it's not much.

I don't know how much exactly he is paid per hour, but I'll guess at around $12/hr.

But he does get to drive around in that shiny bright red new VW Beetle. ROFL

I had a switch go on my network and I knew what the problem was in like 10 minutes.
    Went and bought a new switch and was back online in an hour.

Mako

This is something I encounter everyday, I work the business side of an ISP's tech support. An absurd amount of tech's out there are rather completely incompetent with little to no knowledge about networking, milk the customers for insane amounts for minuscule set-up's, or will purposely set up their customers networks in inefficient manner, simply to get more money and ensure other tech's can't take their job without reseting or replacing vital equipment.

It's an honest mistake. He's going through the routine problems but he overlooked the easiest solution: it was already dead. Jeez you guys like to ride that high horse huh?

It wasn't an honest mistake.
    It was a stupid one, for 4 days the guy thought the computer was down.
    Hello, if the wireless devices can connect to the computer, it's working fine and the problem is elsewhere.

My cats have tails that are very stiff and straight up, so they always unplug the pwoer strip that has my networking equiptment connected to it. The first thing I look for is "are the lights on?" If not, then its unplugged. If I plug it back in and it doesn't light up, it could be the power adapter. If that doesn't fix it, then new router. I have it done in less than a minute....Geek Squad: Undertrained and overpaid.