Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sewing diapers for six months, progress report

Sallybrown

Default Sewing diapers for six months, progress report

My latest creations are aio pull up style. I dissected one of my favorite commercial adult diapers (stay dry night brief from AU) and used it as a model. I have made some progress in looks. No where near professional standards but I'm happy.

Here is a link to my tumblr, http://matl01.tumblr.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	21301   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	127 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	21300   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	111 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	21299   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	108 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	21302   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	87 
Size:	109.2 KB 
ID:	21303  

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	92 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	21304   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	96 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	21305   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	97 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	21306   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	88 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	21307   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	93 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	21308  

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	87 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	21309  

Sallybrown,

Whilst personally I don't like AB-Themed stuff I have to say you've done a great job with the diapers!
    Good sewing!

One question: you say AIO Diaper (All-In-One)?? But I don't see any plastic type backing?
    If you have added some PUL (or whatever layer) - how did you stitch it so the stitches do basically not cause them to leak?

Whilst I rarely use cloth diapers because I find them less comfortable (feeling wet) and unpractical (washing, etc..) as disposables,
    when I travel to remote locations and don't want to carry tons of supplies I have made my own "cloth" diapers from quick-drying microfiber towels (trekking / sports store stuff).... and also have used a well fitting disposable diaper as a basic pattern...
    But mine are not pull-up style but rather either velcro in place or use my home-made "snappy" type clamp... + PUL pants (but those I have bought).

Nicely done, Sally! I can barely sew a button back on my shirt, so I'm really impressed. Might this be the beginning of a business for you?

-RMS

Sallybrown

That's great you have made your own system that works for you. I never thought I would like the ab stuff but now that I can make it, that's different. I plan to do some in solid colors to get a good medical look but for now vintage kids sheets are great. I indeed put a layer of plastic in the pull-up and that's why I say aio. They have a slight leaking problem due to the stitching but that can be avoided by learning to stitch right or a different style all tougher. They work well, leaking is not an huge issue till after 3 or so wettings.

Starting a business... I think I need more practice, if I can get a flawless diaper made and have the process down I might put some on etsy. If you are really impressed, contact me on pm and I could make you one.

Keep working on them. They look great! When learning any new skill like that it takes time, experience, trial and error. Keep at it. Looking forward to what comes next.

These look great!
    I always love to see cloth diapers that are home-made.

Quote Originally Posted by Sallybrown View Post
    They have a slight leaking problem due to the stitching but that can be avoided by learning to stitch right or a different style all tougher.
    Are you using Poly thread? If so, you shouldn't have a problem...at least with PUL, running the diapers through the dryer helps to "seal" the pricks made by the stitching. Leaking generally comes from soap residue accumulating in the stitching (fixed with diaper stripping by washing several cycles without detergent).

Well,

Agree, poly thread is the way to go...it doesn't wick any moisture...

Also, when stiching the band/finish through the pul, use the smallest ball point needle you can use...

When doing pul, I use a 60-70 size needle, I use a poly thread made for sticking poly webbing, as I do that as well...

Lastly, if your not using a machine with auto settings on bobbin and top thread tension...take the time to set that so that the under stich isn't pulled into the pul thus creating a gap...the crossing threads should be contained on one side only...

I use a huskvarna 875 quilt on most items like this...I've also got a few more commercial machines as well...it has settings that work perfect on pul...

Not knowing your machine I can't give you advise on settings, but look at the stitches and make sure the underside of the stich stays on the underside and isn't pulled onto the middle...that makes leaks...trust me I know!

Your work looks good, and a great source in using vintage sheets...great idea!

I used to think sewing was an impossible task...but 20 years later, and it's now easy...

I sew footies, dresses, diaper covers, shirts, curtains, pants, craft items, gun slings, webbing harnesses, and such,

Keep sewing!

Very nice! I sure would like to get the pattern/instructions for those. They look like they are right up my alley. I have already sewed one, but I like this style better. I am just too cheapvto go around buying patterns until I find one that works, but I love to sew.
    Fascinating

Sallybrown

I'm not using poly thread but I'm excited to try, thanks for the tip Kif. And thanks for the info bigbabybrett. I'm going to come back and read all your tips next time I sew. Fascinating, I would be happy to make you a lay out.

These are cool. As a person who doesn't know how to sow, these are awesome and I don't like cloth that much.