Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Try cloth diapers!

Default Try cloth diapers!

If you have never tried cloth diapers you are in for a treat. Soft gauze cotton is softer and more comfortable than disposables. You will need plastic baby pants for protection. That just adds to the fun. I use the disposables, too, but really enjoy the feeling of soft thick absorbant cotton cloth diapers.

terries are great as well - plus you have an excuse to wear 'rubbers' (plastic pants) !

Just changed into a twill contour from Changing Times and plastic pants by Gary. Nice and soft as well as dry for the moment
    but it won't last long I'm afraid. Just used it before I finished typing.

I'd really like to try cloth diapers, but if I do, I want the ones that you have to pin on, not velcro. Do they make them so you don't have to fold them all funky? Prefolded I guess it's called?

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiPad89 View Post
    I'd really like to try cloth diapers, but if I do, I want the ones that you have to pin on, not velcro. Do they make them so you don't have to fold them all funky? Prefolded I guess it's called?
    The contour diapers from Changing Times Diaper Co require no folding. Just pin them on.
    They even come with a stuffer. Changing Times Diaper Company

Some folding is required on the prefolds although. I've got both.

I make my own with gauze from verybaby.com Just take 96" of material and fold it in half and sew the ends together with a serger or sewing machine. Be sure to wash before using as they shrink about 20 percent. Don't use fabric softners. They will come out of the dryer fluffy and soft. Place one folded lengthwise between the other two and fold to a slight v-shape. This gives you eight layers in the middle and four layers on the outside. Pin with two or four diaper pins. Pure comfort!

- - - Updated - - -

I have both pull-up and snap-on plastic baby pants plus a pair of pull-up rubber pants.

- - - Updated - - -

I've tried terry, twill, birdseye and flannel, too. I like the gauze the best but won't turn any cloth diaper down. For variety you can get flannel in baby patterns, trains, cars, animals, etc.

I enjoy the plastic backed disposable diapers but will put the cloth ones on my wish list!!!! got to try once and my guess i will like it!!!

Just got ready for bed. I put on a Dependeco AIO "Little Cutie". This AIO is a year and half old. Still in good shape and
    the Velcro still holds good.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiPad89 View Post
    I don't have to fold my pre-folds. I have a 32" waist and I buy the small sized, gauze night time weight from All Together Diaper Co. which can also be found under All Together Enterprises. They sell the same diaper on Amazon. I simply pin the front corner to the back corner, both right and left. I do have some medium sized cloth diapers, and they need a little folding because they are big on me.

Remember that you will need plastic pants. I like the high back Leakmaster brand because they cover the entire cloth diaper. This is important when one is sleeping in bed.

Quote Originally Posted by ChooChoo69 View Post
    If you have never tried cloth diapers you are in for a treat. Soft gauze cotton is softer and more comfortable than disposables. You will need plastic baby pants for protection. That just adds to the fun. I use the disposables, too, but really enjoy the feeling of soft thick absorbant cotton cloth diapers.
    So nice until:
    - Wet sometime during the night (bedwetter) and wake up in a sodding cold clammy cloth nappy that seeps cold urine through anytime you move (as there's no SAP to bind the liquid).
    - Need to wash ten times more or put up with hand washing daily and storing semi-wet cloth diapers in a pail somewhere...
    - smells stronger (again, no SAP binding the liquid, nothing to kill the odour)
    - more skin irritations because you will have wetter skin all night (day) long.
    - To achieve the same level of absorbency as say an Attends M10 Regular (a pretty thin overnight diaper) you'd need an insanely thick layer of cloth material. Thus bulky and thus much more "noticeable" / uncomfortable
    - Plastic pants (whilst there occasions where I use PUL type "plastic pants") the comfort is far less than with disposables.
    - Takes a "toll" on your washing machine... uses a lot more water..

I use cloth "in a pinch" - if I have no more diapers or something goes wrong with a shipment (rare) or if I'm in a place where I have no access to quality disposables and don't fancy lugging around the supply for a month.... but it's not my preferred thing.