Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does that mean?

Question What does that mean?

I was watching a couple of diaper videos on Youtube by a swedish person and almost every single one of his videos and the word Windelpacket. When I put it through Google Translate it just said Windelpacket back. So I'm just curious what it means. (Considering that it was on several diaper videos, I thought it would have something to do with that.)

not swedish it is german i think if you type windel in to translate and have it detect windel means diaper in german

Thank you I checked but it doesn't explain Diaper Packet, what does that mean?

my GUESS is that it means Packet of Diapers... or as we call in Package of Diapers.

it is indeed german.
    and it is not something you can directly translate.

whilst some have correctly guessed: Windel = diaper

Packet on its own would mean "Parcel".

But in this combination it does NOT stand for a box of diapers but rather being wrapped in a (usually thick or multiple) diapers.
    So a person is WEARING a "Windelpacket" ,,,

that makes sense EPO1... I am in a French class, also took 2 years in HS, and there is really NO direct translation for any sentence... Unless u rephrase it.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleScout View Post
    that makes sense EPO1... I am in a French class, also took 2 years in HS, and there is really NO direct translation for any sentence... Unless u rephrase it.
    That is generally speaking a truth with most attempts at translation of languages.
    Whilst individual words can easily be translated, when it comes to constructs (the german language enables you to actually construct "new" words from freely attaching two things into a unified word - it does work) it becomes almost impossible to exactly translate it, forget about automated translations.

If you ever have used google translate most will have noticed, that the more complex the originating text becomes the more likely it is that the translated output is gibberish at best.

But that is what at the same time makes learning different languages very interesting and challenging - not to mention the practical aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by EPO1 View Post
    But in this combination it does NOT stand for a box of diapers but rather being wrapped in a (usually thick or multiple) diapers.
    So a person is WEARING a "Windelpacket" ,,,
    Spot on

That hard-to-translate thing is even more true in latin languages because english is said to rephrase the phrases backward. I.E. in latin languages, or at least I'll speak in behalf of mine, you would normally say : he is not a man nice, whilst in english it just sounds wrong, as it's said: He is not a nice man... Just a little example.