Thread: Does diapers absorb moisture from air??

Default Does diapers absorb moisture from air??

I'm moving to a new apartment tomorrow. The bathroom (combined toilet & shower) has a nice white closet with a large locker inside. If I were to place my diapers in this locker and I decide to take a warm shower, could the diapers absorb the moisture from air and "fill up" that way??

No. Air moisture or humidity would quickly dissipate soon after opening a door to the bathroom. Air moisture can destroy any absorbant material but it would take years of constant rain forrest conditions to wreak havok or damage your surroundings or possessions.

I would not worry about your diaper stash being affected.

Enjoy the new place!

Quote Originally Posted by ilostthesheriff View Post
    No. Air moisture or humidity would quickly dissipate soon after opening a door to the bathroom. Air moisture can destroy any absorbant material but it would take years of constant rain forrest conditions to wreak havok or damage your surroundings or possessions.

I would not worry about your diaper stash being affected.

Enjoy the new place!
    Ok cool, thanks!

Still, I would not store them in high humidity. Your steamy shower should be ok, as long as the door of the locker is closed.

Not that the diapers will soak up the humidity and be ruined, but in the long run, they will get ruined. Just like paper left in humid places.

Does the bathroom have an exhaust fan? That will take the humidity out of the room while you shower. If you have a window and it's less humid outside you can open it or crack it a little while showering. Keep the blinds or curtains closed, of course.

I suspect that superabsorber will take up at least some moisture in very humid conditions, and even with ventilation you can find condensation in most parts of some bathrooms. Maybe get one of those airtight storage bags that you deflate with a vacuum cleaner to compress the contents, and use that to effectively seal all of your stash except what you need for a week?

Well, the idea came from two things. First of all, having diapers behind a lock would be superb. Also, I remembered that my mom kept my diapers in a similiar place (some stacked next to the bag) when I was a kid, so some touch of nostalgia Maybe I should ask her! (I would never do it)

There are no windows, but there is that round thing on the ceiling that is some kind of ventilation shaft. Maybe I should try to put one diaper there and see how it does after couple of weeks.

You could put them in a plastic trash bag and fold the bag over. That should keep the moisture out.

Quote Originally Posted by dprlover90 View Post
    Well, the idea came from two things. First of all, having diapers behind a lock would be superb. Also, I remembered that my mom kept my diapers in a similiar place (some stacked next to the bag) when I was a kid, so some touch of nostalgia Maybe I should ask her! (I would never do it)

There are no windows, but there is that round thing on the ceiling that is some kind of ventilation shaft. Maybe I should try to put one diaper there and see how it does after couple of weeks.
    Be careful putting anything into the duct opening. It could be the intake for the fart fan and cause it to burn up. Like everyone else has said
    keep them in airtight bags. That should be best way to go.

I would not be worried about the absorbent materials. I WOULD, however, be worried about the tapes losing their tackiness and ability to secure any product as they normally would. Given that you are storing plastic backed diapers that is. Any pull-ups or cloth backed with velcro tabs should be fine in your towel cabinet.