Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Ressurgence of Nearly Eradicated Illnesses Due to Anti-Vacciners

Exclamation The Ressurgence of Nearly Eradicated Illnesses Due to Anti-Vacciners

This news story has already been up for over a week and I kept meaning to post this. This is an extreme example of the rhetoric the anti-vaccine movement, what exactly does it mean even if she is one child not vaccinated? Well just add on the others who aren't being vaccinated in this country.

New York Daily News article "Florida mom kidnaps daughter in anti-vaccine bid"

I made a thread a couple of years back about the anti-vaccine movement, and it got quite a few good replies, of which you can view here.

I don't even know where to start but maybe you can fellow readers, I believe we take things for granted such as our health all the time. But we musn't, diseases that were once thought eradicated, like Measles, are now coming back. And just like that band you never liked from so many years ago, they're going to rock you.. again.

ADISC users, what do you think of this issue that's becoming more and more important in society?

Here are a few articles that may be of further consideration:

USA Today article "Anti-vaccine movement is giving diseases a 2nd life"

Forbes article "A Doctor's Take On The Anti-Vaccine Movement"

The Verge article "Measles outbreak in Texas traced back to anti-vaccination televangelist"
    Last edited by skunk053; 27-Jun-2014 at 13:59.

This is the first generation to actively get away from vaccinating children, and my thought is that it stems from not knowing what these diseases actually do to people.

When I was growing up, Smallpox had not yet been eradicated worldwide. Thanks to the efforts of worldwide vaccination being made low cost and making sure everyone was vaccinated, this disease now only exists locked away in laboratories. There were regularly people you could see who dealt with the ravages of polio. They were given spot appearances on popular television shows. Nobody now can see just how bad it is to get these.

So now, new parents do not understand just how precious vaccinations are, especially given the drive to make sure everyone is vaccinated in the name of public health. They see the false rhetoric regarding autism and vaccines and, rather than becoming educated, they are reactionary. Sure, measles is usually survivable, but other diseases aren't.

I'm glad to see that my own child has looked at vaccinations and seen the resurgence of whooping cough--at 23, he went to the doctor on Tuesday and got his vaccination updated.

CrinklySiren

I think non-vaxxers are nothing but uneducated extremists. We should be focusing more on the FOOD in the US and all the garbage that is pumped into it, instead of the minimal levels of unconfirmed studies related to something that has been moving our species farther into existence for YEARS. What a coincidence is it that I was vaccinated, my brothers and family were vaccinated, all my friends from highschool middle school elementary school were vaccinated... not ONCE did i hear about "autism" until i turned 20... even my entire graduating class was confused on the whole thing, especially since NO ONE was autistic or had any of the "vaccine scare diseases" that so many people swear by, Yet now 1 in 68 kids has autism?; I'm telling you, its nothing but uneducated people making uneducated claims based on nothing, they are putting all their time and energy into bringing down the wrong monster.

It might sound insensitive of me, but good riddance ~ that's what they get for being idiots and choosing not to trust medical science based on some conspiracy theory stupidity.

Saying outright that "vaccines cause autism so i'm not gonna vaccinate my children" is as simple minded and uneducated a thing to say as "kids raised by gay couples come out messed up" or "I had a bad experience with marijuana, so it MUST be evil".

Hey, while we're at it, lets stop using condoms since they are only 99% effective, lets also stop using aspirin because it can cause stomach bleeding... hey, why dont we just do away with everything that has any low percentage of side-effects or long term affects while we're at it; a lot of people will die but at least we'll die with dignity ;D

A big problem is that there are some children/babies who cannot be vaccinated due to legitimate allergies or other health conditions. These children rely on herd immunity, which was never a problem until the anti-vax movement began. Now these innocent children face potential illness and death, as well as the innocent children of anti-vax parents. I think thats what upsets me the most. No one is getting saved from autism in this way, and in the process children are suffering or dying, as well as those that love them.

This is partially a product of celebrity culture, where for some reason the words of celebrities are seen as highly important even if they are not experts in any other field than modeling, acting, singing, etc. This happened because a tv personality played science and due to her fame far too many people took her word as some kind of expertise. Not-famous scientists and researchers went unheard until it was a little too late.

I agree with Emily that it's basically uneducated and uninformed extremists. But they are causing a real problem, and not just for their own children. However, I think autism is a real illness, and the increase in stats is likely due to the increase in diagnosing and doctors using the diagnosis more readily when it applies. In the past, (until the 60s, 70s) autistic children or adults were often misdiagnosed as schizophrenic. It wasn't really until the 80s that people start diagnosing it properly at all, and then in the 90s doctors began getting better at figuring out what it was exactly and differentiating it from schizophrenia or other conditions. From there awareness continued to grow and parents brought higher functioning (but still suffering) children in for a diagnosis or testing, and so more than just the extremely severe cases were diagnosed.

Anyway, we all now know that autism is caused by cow's milk. So that solves that problem! Or actually, and not sarcastically, it's more likely that beyond better diagnosing strategies, that the increase in autism is from the same pesticides that are currently killing our bees. Or maybe different ones. When I was searching for what I thought was a very recent research breakthrough, I found this article from 2012, which apparently never made headlines for two full years. I don't want to be a conspiracy theorist, or anything, but I find that really strange. They knew what was killing our honey bees years ago and those pesticides continued to be used - and probably are still being used currently. Though, hopefully the higher awareness and help from researchers gets these particular offenders banned.

In some countries, it's considered child abuse not to vaccinate your children. I wish America would have that policy as well.

I'm going to voice the unpopular opinion here and state that I believe it should be a parent's choice whether or not to vaccinate their children. I simply don't feel that any parent should be forced to have a medical compound injected into their offspring. If you vaccinated your child, fine, if not, that's also OK in my opinion.

I personally did not receive routine immunizations growing up. This was because, according to my mother, after getting one such shot as a baby, I screamed inconsolably for three hours - a symptom of an allergic reaction. She knew something must be wrong, and afterwards was too scared to have me receive anything more than a tetanus shot.

If parents do decide to immunize their children, why are they so scared of them catching the very diseases the shot is supposed to prevent in the first place?

I know some people may say that unvaccinated kids pose a health risk to others, but it's the price we have to pay for living in a free society where people have the right to choose what they feel is best for their children.

Quote Originally Posted by KimbaStarshine View Post
    I'm going to voice the unpopular opinion here and state that I believe it should be a parent's choice whether or not to vaccinate their children. I simply don't feel that any parent should be forced to have a medical compound injected into their offspring. If you vaccinated your child, fine, if not, that's also OK in my opinion.
    And the child gets no say in the matter? The child, when vaccinated, is young, before they can make decisions and I understand that, but to deny your child vaccines when they have been proven to almost entirely put some very dangerous and very lethal diseases throughout history to extinction, then I'd say the child deserves to be vaccinated and it should never be the parent's choice, especially if they're going to choose to potentially endanger their child's life.

If parents do decide to immunize their children, why are they so scared of them catching the very diseases the shot is supposed to prevent in the first place?
    Because they are uneducated, it's as simple as that.

I know some people may say that unvaccinated kids pose a health risk to others, but it's the price we have to pay for living in a free society where people have the right to choose what they feel is best for their children.
    No, it isn't a price. Someone's life being put in your hands and you refusing to take the steps to keep them healthy and safe, especially when it is your child, should never be up to debate regardless how free the society is. Many European countries are just as free as America, and some of them have laws that refusing to vaccinate your children is child-endangering and child abuse, and for incredibly good reason.

If a parent decides that their child shouldn't get the vaccines that have ultimately destroyed lethal diseases and they'd rather risk the kid's life, then they just are not fit to be a parent. A parent's job is to protect their children and raise them correctly, and they are only doing half of that if they refuse to vaccinate their children, and they're possibly teaching their children that vaccines are no good, in which case, the parent has failed.

The only excuse that is possible for refusing to vaccinate your children is an allergic reaction, which is what you had gone through. That's acceptable, I can accept that as a reason. Other than that, however, there just isn't any.

...because you know, the government has always made sure to put nothing but perfectly safe ingredients in their vaccines. Im not against vaccines, but being forced to inject your child with whatever the government decides is safe can be just as irresponsible. Not that I have much(any) knowledge in this field (not like anyone else talking about it here really does). Im just talking about the common flu and such, obviously you should give your kid a tetanus shot

Quote Originally Posted by KuroCat View Post
    The only excuse that is possible for refusing to vaccinate your children is an allergic reaction, which is what you had gone through. That's acceptable, I can accept that as a reason. Other than that, however, there just isn't any.
    Allergic reactions themselves are usually limited to only one of the components of vaccines and should not be used as a reason to flat out not vaccinate a child further. My son had a reaction when he was first given his vaccinations the same as Kimba, several hours of inconsolable crying. The allergic reaction is common and known, and is almost always related to the pertussis portion of the vaccine. The following vaccinations for my son, they gave him vaccinations that did not include the pertussis portion. Even with that, he has gone recently (at 23 years old) and gotten a pertussis vaccine because of the major resurgence in whooping cough.

Refusing to allow any vaccinations because of a reaction to one is not an acceptable excuse for me. Not continuing with the vaccine that caused the reaction is different, but you don't avoid measles and polio shots because you had a reaction to a pertussis shot.

For your information, the usual vaccine was a 'DPT' shot, which stood for Diptheria, Pertussis, and Tetanus. With children who had the reaction, they switched to a 'DT' injection. Information on this is available at the CDC website.

I have a few friends who are HUGE anti-vaccine nuts who believe the false report by Dr. Andrew Wakefield, what Jenny McCarthy and other celebrities day about it because well... if a celeb says it then it must be true! I myself don't believe that nonsense and with the rise of mumps, measles in Ohio around me I am glad I was vaccinated as a child. I also think there is a lot of fear-mongering out there as well. People live in fear and are afraid of things that to me are not to be afraid of but rather study more than just live in complete fear of things.

Fear can be a big driver of the unknown and that is why people believe in conspiracy theories and don't pay attention to information and just believe whatever they read and or hear. Fear of having a kid with autism, anti-government sentiments and a general living in fear of the future and the world. It's also why GMOs get a bad rap, why people live in fear of a gun-grab and whatever. Fear is not a good way to live your life, especially if there are kids involved and the resurge of nearly extinct diseases.

If I were to have kids, yes I would asking their doctor lots of questions and about the vaccines because I believe in being informed but not living in fear of the fact my kid could end up with autism or whatever.

I know I have not posted much as of late here on ADISC... but the reason why I am posting now is because I live in Ohio and I see all the time on my local news about outbreaks all over Ohio. I know of a few in southern Ohio, Columbus and other counties. It's the fear of people who are uneducated and would rather believe what people say about vaccines without studying and learning about them. If I had kids- I would have them vaccinated so they would not have to suffer from these diseases.

WildThing121675