Thread: Any watch collectors?

Default Any watch collectors?

Do any of you collect watches? They're one of a few grown-up things I enjoy, a very gentlemen-like practice I think. I only have a few now but I've been searching for ones I like online and am very picky about it. My favorite is an Unlisted 1268, because its the first one I bought with funds from my first job, so I earned it fully. Sentimental junk aside, do any of you collect? Which is your favorite one?

Quote Originally Posted by Butterscotch View Post
    Do any of you collect watches? They're one of a few grown-up things I enjoy, a very gentlemen-like practice I think. I only have a few now but I've been searching for ones I like online and am very picky about it. My favorite is an Unlisted 1268, because its the first one I bought with funds from my first job, so I earned it fully. Sentimental junk aside, do any of you collect? Which is your favorite one?
    Butterscotch

I can not say that I am a true collector - as for that I would have to few pieces in my "collection".
    But I love watches - especially hand winding wrist watches.

My favorite of the few I have is an old Omega Seamaster 300 (ST 165.024) from 1964.
    That one was a gift by my father - he originally bought it for himself in 1964 ... and wore it until he passed it on to me in 1999..
    It is one of the few personal items that I am very much attached to.
    but as I'd like to keep this watch for a long time to come - I wear it only occasionally or when I'm in the mood

Aside from this my daily beater is a DOXA "Searambler SUB 1200T" that I had bought just recently...
    And there's an older Panerai Luminor marina... that I bought second hand quite some time ago...

and that's it.

To be honest, there's a number of watches out there that I'd buy,... but I always debate whether I can invest the money a tad better by not buying another watch

Quote Originally Posted by Butterscotch View Post
    I can't say that I'm a true collector either. But I do enjoy them. I don't have lots of money to spend on them. Every few years I'll get a new one that I really enjoy. I've also had several passed down to me from my Grandfather, and some of my Great-uncles (brothers to my Grandfather). One was even a Horologist (a person that repairs watches and clocks). When he passed away, he had a huge collection. Several of them were given to me. Some of the nicer ones were distributed among the family.

Most of the ones that I have aren't very valuable. They are simply the "everyday watch" for particular family members that have since passed away. So they have more sentimental value, than monetary value.

I dont collect but i found an old 1969 rolex 30 years ago swimming it was worth $100 bucks at the time i sold it 20 years later for $6000 I buy and sell antiques locally and on ebay for fun and for extra money I get them all the time not much of a market

I'm not a collector per se, but I am fascinated with time pieces, especially clocks. When I graduated from college in 1970, my parents bought me a Bulova Accutron which I still have. I have several old clocks, one a wall hanging clock, another an anniversary clock, and an old Seth Thomas mantle clock. In addition to those, I have built two carriage clocks, kits from the Emperor Clock Co.

Yeah I didn't expect there to be serious collectors, I'm not one either, I just really enjoy watches, they're the perfect combination if technology and art. For the longest time I wanted a g shock and I got one last year (as t graduation ring) and fr a while it was amazing for a while but then I moved on. What I've been looking at now are some Korean watches I saw on Sneak Outfitters: Shop Mens Boutique - Mens Fashion Store - Mens Clothing Online - New York City, which are ridiculous and kind of weird but sort of interesting xD but for now I'm still really satisfied with the one from Unlisted, they're good value for money and girls have given me tons of compliments on it

I'm not much of a watch collector, but i like them, especially the swiss machines. I got 2 really cool watches, a 1997 Panerai Luminor Marina and 2012 olive green IWC Miramar with chrono. The best 2 things i've ever had, oh no, 3 things.. one is my bwo, then the watches!

Not a collector, but I got a nice watch in my swag bag at the 2014 Special Olympics USA Games where I won the silver medal in golf.