Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Need To Get A Windows 8 disk

  1. #1

    Default Need To Get A Windows 8 disk

    ok i just came across a Windows 8 computer it will not boot, and just goes streight to recovery screen choose any option it will try to fix, Fail and restart Computer and the Cycle Loops. now i need to know if there is a way to get a Disk free to repair the System that was purchased legally. does microsooft offer a Recovery disk on their website?

  2. #2
    acorn

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by w0lfpack91 View Post
    .....now i need to know if there is a way to get a Disk free to repair the System that was purchased legally.....
    I had a similar problem many years ago, you gotta love your own kids despite their antics. My computer was a Dell - bought from them directly. Because the computer came with a recovery partition they were initially very reluctant to do anything, but after much haggling I eventually got the OS and driver discs from Dell, I suppose it helped the machine was still under warranty though.

    Another place I found that was good for getting discs is the local college, they do PC maintenance courses there, the catch is you will not too readily pick up the latest offering from Microsoft Security be Damned.

    PS: fwiw: XP-SP3 rules, so there you have it boy, that's telling ya.

  3. #3
    PaddedPuppy

    Default

    You will need the recovery media provided by the system manufacturer. This may prove to be difficult to get a hold of, or if they are willing to provide will cost you. I know Acer charge 35 in the UK to get the 3 recovery DVDs and a driver disc.

    Try your luck with the manufacturer as suggested and if that fails you'll have to pay, or be naughty and download something online, or if the user's activities permit, switch the BIOS back to a legacy boot and make use of an older version of Windows should you have the media and license for that, or go for Linux.

  4. #4

    Default

    Ok, was it new with windows 8 installed? If so, chances are it has a recovery partition. Look up the model on the manufactures website (i.e. Dell, hp, gateway, sony, acer etc). If its a home build and was installed with win 8 pro when it was discounted for $39.00, the the person who downloaded it had to create a microsoft account an might could log in and pursue any recovery options that way.

    From what I understand though, win 8 is no longer available for download, and you would need the 8.1 disk to install, after you get win 8 back up. If you have the license, you might do extensive search online for the win 8 download that someone made a available by torrent as a backup.

    Anyway! Good luck!

  5. #5

    Default

    If it's a windows 8 oem computer, you will need the recovery disks. The windows 8 key is embedded into the bios on all windows 8 oem computers. Windows 8 uses Microsofts new activator. If you don't have the recovery disks, you will need another copy of the OS or put a new OS on the machine. You can't just manually put in a key anymore for oem builds.

  6. #6
    PaddedPuppy

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by lilaznboy View Post
    If it's a windows 8 oem computer, you will need the recovery disks. The windows 8 key is embedded into the bios on all windows 8 oem computers. Windows 8 uses Microsofts new activator. If you don't have the recovery disks, you will need another copy of the OS or put a new OS on the machine. You can't just manually put in a key anymore for oem builds.
    I thought the idea was that it was hard coded into the BIOS so you could just install and you will always be automatically licensed to use Windows 8 on that computer so it cuts down on key theft like you previously could, but also so the user could reinstall even if the license sticker was removed or worn off. My understanding was that you could use any Win8 installation DVD and it would just work. The way you say it makes me think they made it more complicated than that.

  7. #7

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by PaddedPuppy View Post
    I thought the idea was that it was hard coded into the BIOS so you could just install and you will always be automatically licensed to use Windows 8 on that computer so it cuts down on key theft like you previously could, but also so the user could reinstall even if the license sticker was removed or worn off. My understanding was that you could use any Win8 installation DVD and it would just work. The way you say it makes me think they made it more complicated than that.
    From my understanding, the embedded key is oem specific. So for example if it's a Samsung laptop, you need a Samsung recovery disk to be able to use that key. That's how it was originally setup, unless that has changed recently.

Similar Threads

  1. Music player/management recommendation? Windows 7/Windows Phone 8
    By GoldDragonAurkarm in forum Computers & Gaming
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-Mar-2014, 00:53
  2. Diapers over disk locations in NYC??
    By funkybox in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-May-2011, 22:16
  3. Disk Drive Question
    By diaperedteenager in forum Computers & Gaming
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 29-Mar-2010, 03:40
  4. Recovery Disk/Reinstalling Windows Vista
    By Aki in forum Computers & Gaming
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 25-Mar-2009, 00:40
  5. Done With Windows/Linux/Windows 7 Dual Boot
    By kite in forum Computers & Gaming
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-Feb-2009, 14:34

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.