Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone dl'd and installed the official windows 7 beta?

Default Has anyone dl'd and installed the official windows 7 beta?

I am seriously considering overwriting XP on my laptop (BSOD aplenty lately) and I'm curious about any problems that you may have experienced. The system is a P4 3.2 Ghz. with a half Gig of RAM, do you think that is sufficient?

I haven't read much about the stability of Windows 7, but usually it's not recommended to use a beta product on something you use daily. Using it will probably improve your BSOD situation, just because it's a clean install. Dual-booting may be a solution. Also, your system is probably not enough to run the full-graphics mode, if it's anything like vista's. I have no idea whether Windows 7 Beta has effects like Vista yet, and if it does you probably can turn them off. So to conclude, research it(more than posting here)!

I downloaded it, got my serial key, etc... I'm going to put it on my laptop, because I have nothing important on there at the moment.

Tenlet, the Windows 7 beta is actually extremely stable, most people who've tried it said it feels like a final product. You have to remember, it's not a rewrite, just a refinement of Vista. So it has pretty much all the stability of Vista and then some. It's also much faster than Vista, and smaller in size (I know! A Microsoft first!).

I got the beta earlier today and love it; Windows has finally actually put together what appears to be a fairly fast, easy to use, stable, product. That said, I installed it on my second computer and am still running vista on the primary computer just to play it safe, while it appears to be a stable beta, it is still a beta, and unless you are comfortable dealing with the possible problems that could arise, and the potential for data loss, I might stick with XP for the time being. Also I did have some strange issues with the aero graphics after Windows 7 installed my graphics driver automatically, in fact it seemed to take care of a lot of that stuff through the windows update pretty well) but after messing around with the drivers a bit it seems to be working fine now.

As far as your specific computer, Windows 7 does seem to be a bit less of a resource hog then vista was, but half a gig of ram isn’t much, though I have heard of people running it on lower power systems, if you are comfortable with backing up, doing clean installs, and all that stuff I guess it can't really hurt to try.

I'll wait until Service Pack 2 to change from XP if I ever do.

Quote Originally Posted by bdb2004 View Post
    ...but half a gig of ram isnt much, though I have heard of people running it on lower power systems, if you are comfertable with backing up, doing clean installs, and all that stuff I guess it can't really hurt to try.
    After doing a little research, I really probably need a gig minimum, but the problem has solved itself for now as MS has temporarily halted downloads to add servers to handle the demand. My laptop is a second computer so I don't have anything critical on there, and if something gets screwy, I can reformat and reload XP without TOO much trauma

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Snap View Post
    After doing a little research, I really probably need a gig minimum, but the problem has solved itself for now as MS has temporarily halted downloads to add servers to handle the demand.
    Microsoft is clearly failing at this whole download and key thing, first their servers fails miserably with the initial rush yesterday, and they then spend all day/night trying to get it fixed, it finally starts working, and then dies again... Well at least they put out a good product this time and it is a beta, so I guess we shouldn’t complain too much.

Downloading the 64bit version right now 8D

If anyone wants it due to MS's servers being down...
    Microsoft Windows 7 Beta 7000.0.081212-1400 Ultimate 64Bit Engli (download torrent) - TPB

Note: This is not an illegal torrent, the software is already free and this is only a beta version that can't be used without a key anyways.

You can get your beta key at Download the Windows 7 Beta at the bottom with the downloads choose the 64 bit option, fill out the info and it'll spit out a key for you.

[[Edited for 2am grammarz]]

Thanks for those links to Win7. I just built myself a new 64 bit system and was thinking of putting Win7 on it.