Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Disney Princess?

Default Favorite Disney Princess?

You can probably tell who my favorite is based on my avatar, but who is your favorite princess? Why do you like her?

To me, Rapunzel seems like a very modern teenage girl in Disney Princess form. She's witty, ditzy, clever, brave, and thoughtful like so many modern girls that I know. To keep up with the Disney Princess theme, she's naive, kind, and gentle towards others (especially animals). Oh yes, and she breaks out into song. That's very important as well. There's other princesses that I like for different reasons, but I think Rapunzel is the first to enable very modern, progressive traits in a classic form. She's the first princess to behold magical powers and defend herself with a weapon! How cool is that?

So, who is your favorite?

My favourite would probably have to be Mulan. One thing I like about her is her journey of trying to find out who she is. From going to the matchmaker to taking her father's place in the war, you get the feeling that she is willing to do anything to not only help her family but to also figure out what makes her...well, her.

That, and I also freaking love the scene when she decides to take her father's place. No dialogue and strictly to,d through the mood of the moment and the music. UNF, I love it so much!

Mine would have to be Anna form Frozen. I like the fact that she defends her sister even when everyone else thinks she is a monster. Also her adorable freckles and orange hair with the white streak. If I had to choose a second favorite, it would be Repunzel.

Belle from Beauty and the Beast. She realizes that love isn't only looks but found in someone's soul <3

Quote Originally Posted by Jagged View Post
    My favourite would probably have to be Mulan. One thing I like about her is her journey of trying to find out who she is. From going to the matchmaker to taking her father's place in the war, you get the feeling that she is willing to do anything to not only help her family but to also figure out what makes her...well, her.

That, and I also freaking love the scene when she decides to take her father's place. No dialogue and strictly to,d through the mood of the moment and the music. UNF, I love it so much!
    I prefer Mulan as well for the same reasons, even though technically she doesn't count as a princess. I love her wit as well; that scene where she ties the weights together to climb up the pole is beautiful. Shang tells the soldiers that they need both "discipline" and "strength" to reach the arrow, but he forgot about cunning.

Quote Originally Posted by PearlPinkFloydJam View Post
    To me, Rapunzel seems like a very modern teenage girl in Disney Princess form. She's witty, ditzy, clever, brave, and thoughtful like so many modern girls that I know. To keep up with the Disney Princess theme, she's naive, kind, and gentle towards others (especially animals). Oh yes, and she breaks out into song. That's very important as well. There's other princesses that I like for different reasons, but I think Rapunzel is the first to enable very modern, progressive traits in a classic form. She's the first princess to behold magical powers and defend herself with a weapon! How cool is that?
    Rapunzel was my first thought as well. Most Disney princesses' character development starts and ends with needing a man, so they get crossed off my list (granted, at least Belle also liked to read). By contrast, Rapunzel undergoes tremendous personal growth in the progression of Tangled. Of course, that makes sense given that unlike most princesses, she's the lead character (rather than supporting). Most older movies focus on the male hero and the girl is little more than a MacGuffin- Aurora, I'm looking in your direction. That started to change a bit in the 90s, but only so much. I'm thinking of Nala convincing Simba to grow the fuck up and fix shit at home. Belle helped the Beast find his humanity again. But both are still cases of women being a plot device more than a character. Rapunzel was a great departure from how things used to be.

Anna (Frozen) is a close second.

Bottom of the list: Aurora, Cinderella, Ariel, Snow White, Jasmine

Middle: Belle and Merida; they have both good and bad qualities

Bonus: Did you know that The Lion King had a very subtle sex scene in it?

Most of us here know that look damn well.

Does Tinker Bell count? I relate to being a bit of a fairy, buzzing about... and sprinkling some fairy dust to make you fly... I'm charming, loyal, and cute... and I can be quite annoying too...

-Marka

Quote Originally Posted by Jagged View Post

Mulan's a great film and choice of princess. Sadly, it seems like she doesn't get the attention the other ones receive. "I'll Make a Man Out of You" is probably one of the best Disney songs ever. Also one of the best to sing after a few drinks too. Not that I haven't done that or anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrig View Post
    Mine would have to be Anna form Frozen. I like the fact that she defends her sister even when everyone else thinks she is a monster. Also her adorable freckles and orange hair with the white streak. If I had to choose a second favorite, it would be Repunzel.
    I like Anna as well. Anna and Rapunzel seem to be very similar characters when you look at them closely. Rapunzel defends Flynn even though his livelihood is being a thief. Both great ladies though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AEsahaettr View Post
    Rapunzel was my first thought as well. Most Disney princesses' character development starts and ends with needing a man, so they get crossed off my list (granted, at least Belle also liked to read). By contrast, Rapunzel undergoes tremendous personal growth in the progression of Tangled. Of course, that makes sense given that unlike most princesses, she's the lead character (rather than supporting). Most older movies focus on the male hero and the girl is little more than a MacGuffin- Aurora, I'm looking in your direction. That started to change a bit in the 90s, but only so much. I'm thinking of Nala convincing Simba to grow the fuck up and fix shit at home. Belle helped the Beast find his humanity again. But both are still cases of women being a plot device more than a character. Rapunzel was a great departure from how things used to be.

Anna (Frozen) is a close second.

Bottom of the list: Aurora, Cinderella, Ariel, Snow White, Jasmine

Middle: Belle and Merida; they have both good and bad qualities

Bonus: Did you know that The Lion King had a very subtle sex scene in it?

Most of us here know that look damn well.
    Good list of characters. I totally agree. The classic Disney princess films focus on the princess being saved by the male rather than the princess herself. It's traditional and at the time was in-line with the audience's desires I'd say. Rapunzel's interesting because not only does she keep some elements of tradition (Flynn did encourage her to leave the tower after all and likely wouldn't have done it on her own), but she also "saves" him by showing him that there are more important things than fame, money, and good looks in life.

Nala is an awesome princess as well. Though she would look somewhat out of place with the Disney Princess group photo. She does enable the traits of a strong woman and the relationship with Simba comes out positive. Unfortunately I don't think people remember this and continuously blame Disney for producing poor role models.

Haha there are all kinds of sexual references/subliminal messages in Lion King 1 and 2; in many Disney movies for that matter. Except I can't seem to find them in Frozen.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Marka View Post
    Does Tinker Bell count? I relate to being a bit of a fairy, buzzing about... and sprinkling some fairy dust to make you fly... I'm charming, loyal, and cute... and I can be quite annoying too...

-Marka
    She isn't an official princess, but you sound to fit her bill quite well. She is annoying...especially when her exact same picture is on approximately half of the Goodnites in a package. Doesn't she do anything else that's photo-worthy?

Quote Originally Posted by PearlPinkFloydJam View Post
    "..."..."

- - - Updated - - -

She isn't an official princess, but you sound to fit her bill quite well. She is annoying...especially when her exact same picture is on approximately half of the Goodnites in a package. Doesn't she do anything else that's photo-worthy?
    LOL, I liked how you landed with the annoying bit... What else photo-worthy might you wish... tinkle-bell... it's not a huge stretch for GoodNites afterall... -Marka

Quote Originally Posted by Marka View Post
    LOL, I liked how you landed with the annoying bit... What else photo-worthy might you wish... tinkle-bell... it's not a huge stretch for GoodNites afterall... -Marka
    Add "punny" to your list of traits.

I don't know, but this image may be nice in the next round of Goodnites designs. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tinker_bell_farts_by_nfsmaster321-d4sojpw.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	20988