Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video chat safety...

Default Video chat safety...

I did a bit of video chatting today, and it got me thinking: Has it ever occurred to you that the other side in your video chat might be taking pictures or video screen capturing your chat?

How do you deal with that? How much time do you dedicate to establishing trust, especially with "casual" chats in places like ABDLcams? What if the other side already has a cam, and asks to see you as well?

Some1

If you're in a position where you've really got something to lose from a random person somewhere in the world taking pictures of their computer screen, the best tactic is just don't do it.

In most cases, I don't think it matters much, though if it just bothers you in general that someone might record you, again, don't do it.

Yeah, the way i do it is not show my face or obvious visuals of the room im are in so one cannot prove who your are but can still engage in a video chat, though i rather just stick to videoing with trusted people that like the same things as me because well either of the end could screen capture in that case its a stalemate. hope that is good advice?

It's just that with all the "internet doesn't forget" and "big data" talk, I don't want to ruin my life by having someone trade my pics around and have them end up on some god forsaken image gallery. I can't imagine what will this do to my private life, my career etc' if the wrong person found out. I guess it's the same old record of my make-belief paranoia. Thank god I'm not ACTUALLY paranoid...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by janus80 View Post
    Yeah, the way i do it is not show my face or obvious visuals of the room im are in so one cannot prove who your are but can still engage in a video chat, though i rather just stick to videoing with trusted people that like the same things as me because well either of the end could screen capture in that case its a stalemate. hope that is good advice?
    How long before you can TRUST a person? Do you hang out at sites like abdlcams at all, or not, due to your cautious nature?

acorn

Quote Originally Posted by some1 View Post
    How long before you can TRUST a person? Do you hang out at sites like abdlcams at all, or not, due to your cautious nature?
    I don't do video.

Trust is not totally time dependant, you could be dealing with a person all your life and not have grounds to trust them. I'm of the school where computer aided communications are considered abstract, with thatsaid I feel that people should exercise extra caution when using this medium.

I get it. I myself could not, would not 'throw caution to the wind'. The internet is a 'beware all' playground. Caution must be regarded in such fashion.

Trust is an intuition that perhaps should be excersized only when there is little to no doubt to proceed any further. Endorphines are a pesky little chemical when navigating such decisions to let one's guard down and detail more than we would normally be comfortable with. We can become victim to wanting to 'reach out and touch someone'. We can become intoxicated with the revelation of being quantified. Dopamine can further us down the path of being ultimately destructive. Much in the sense of being 'drunk', dopamines can, without regard, cloud good judgement. Seratonin is the next culprit chemical to fray our course of feelings. This naturally produced product causes many to artificially trust their intuition. See? A vicious circle.

I don't wish to be cynical but the variances must be considered, contemplated, and regarded before digitally downloading oneself onto the web.

I myself would be far more comfortable talking on the phone or meeting in-person for this reason. It exceeds the confusing cacophony of chat-sites.

Quote Originally Posted by ilostthesheriff View Post
    I myself would be far more comfortable talking on the phone or meeting in-person for this reason. It exceeds the confusing cacophony of chat-sites.
    Phone has no video. And meeting... well, I live in the middle east, and the person I'm looking for lives in god knows where.

I did a bit of video chatting today, and it got me thinking: Has it ever occurred to you that the other side in your video chat might be taking pictures or video screen capturing your chat?

How do you deal with that? How much time do you dedicate to establishing trust, especially with "casual" chats in places like ABDLcams? What if the other side already has a cam, and asks to see you as well?

Some1
    I just assume everyone is recording everything because it's just super trivial to do so and most people don't even think about the possibility. If you're not okay with them having a video of you on their computer forever then don't cam with them.

The level of trust I require is basically this: the people that could expose me I could just as easily expose. MAD is a wonderful thing. Otherwise, I duno, having known them for long enough that I'd be relatively comfortable meeting them in public? That's usually my standard for sharing stuff about myself with people online.

Yes. Honestly, you should just assume that they are because after not very long you'll end up being right.

First, I readily assume I'm going to be recorded. If I'm not ok with that I don't chat.

Second, I limit any such chat to people I know intimately in real life- namely, my fiancee.

I frequent the site and I simply tell people that I don't have a cam. I don't want to show my face for the very same reason, I don't want some stranger posting my face everywhere. If the person then leaves the chat once told no then they were no good in the first place.