Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: fears and phobias

Default fears and phobias

So I was just curious what fears or phobias some of you have. Why you have them etc.

I personally have posted in the past about being terrified of bugs and creepy crawlies due to experiences leading up to and while living in Panama for part of my childhood. I also have gephydrophobia or the fear of bridges, I have no idea why either. For as long as I can remember I have had a problem with bridges but especially if they cross water.

That one has been interesting on a few occasion's. Driving down to Florida the first time was rough to say the least. once you get close to the Georgia Florida border it basically becomes a giant bridge over open water with the occasional island for anchor points. The most recent was the worst reaction I've had yet though. Kitty took me to Va beach for warped tour and we planned ahead for a route with no big bridge or tunnel which took almost an hour extra to drive. We were going down the road almost there when we suddenly popped out on a huge bridge that went straight into a tunnel. I had a panic/asthma attack halfway through the tunnel and ended up having to sit on the side of the road with my head between my knees for about half an hour after that.

I don't really have any phobias but I do hate spiders and other creepy crawlies.
    My wife is scared to death of bridges, anytime we drive over one she closes her eyes and holds on tight to something. She really hates the bay bridge in Maryland which is like a mile long.

I used to have a huge balloon phobia when I was little, eventually it evolved into a fetish when I entered my teen years.
    Balloons turned to dummies and dummies into all AB stuff.
    Now I am both excited and relaxed by my baby stuff.

Wasps, they really are the worst the way they hover around the room just looking for something (probably you) to land on.

I have a fear of bees, spiders and I'm still somewhat afraid of heights.

Quote Originally Posted by mommyslittlewyatt View Post
    I don't really have any phobias but I do hate spiders and other creepy crawlies.
    My wife is scared to death of bridges, anytime we drive over one she closes her eyes and holds on tight to something. She really hates the bay bridge in Maryland which is like a mile long.
    Yeah I've been across that one too and the big one further south that crosses the Potomac from Virginia to the Maryland peninsula.

I'm not as bad if I know it's there ahead of time, it's when they pop up unexpectedly that I freak out. That's driving though. I absolutely can't cross bridges over water on foot. Which sucks because most of the parks here in town are on islands in the middle of the river. I can get up the steps to the rope bridges but as soon as I see the water I freeze up.

I'm afraid of bugs and creepy crawlies as well. I'm not sure why I have that fear but they just creep me out. I think it's more of the sense of touching or being touched by them that puts me off. I don't care about flies but I hate spiders and bugs with legs. I'm also still somewhat afraid of heights. I'm fine if there is a rail or solid ground, but I don't like open spaces. I guess it's more of being afraid of falling down. For example when going down stairs i'll hold the rail because I feel like I would fall. I don't like walking on the sea walls if they are too high. I don't mind sitting on the sea wall. I don't mind flying and looking out the window. I don't mind looking out the balcony from tall apartments or hotels.

yea, i hate spiders as well.

don't know if this is a phobia, but you know that paranoid feeling you get after watching a scary movie? that irrational feeling that causes you to notice every little sound outside your bedroom window.
    for me, that only happens after i watch a movie with aliens in it.