Thread: Taking care of Pacifiers ?

Question Taking care of Pacifiers ?

Right now I own a pacifier (Sadly it's somewhat small ) and I store it in a small plastic box between other stuff.

I want to buy a new one but I need to know how to take care of it properly and if someone could help me, it would be great .
    It says in the box that the pacifier needs to be sterilized, so, immersing it in boiling water it's fine ? For how long ? Do I need to sterilize it after using it, or water and soap is good enough ? Do I need to dry it out before storing ? What if it doesn't dry out completely ?

I don't want to get an infection since that could be a problem if I need to go to the doctor and explain the situation, I want to avoid that.

I do have more questions, but these are enough right now, if this has been asked before, I apologize.
    Thank you

Go to store and get some Milton or other baby bottle sterilizing liquid and use that don't use boiling water it may damage teat

I don't think it will hurt anything to keep it very clean but don't mistake yourself for a baby in this sense. They have a less robust immune system and it makes good sense to be cautious. We get by very well with dishwashing soap for other things that go in our mouths.

Sterilizing is just for babies (ironic seeing as this also is the case with pacifiers).

Just keep it clean by washing it in warm water every now and then, I wash mine daily but you don't need to wash yours as frequently. Depending on what your pacifier is made from you might need to take into consideration other storage methods; My pacifier is latex, so I store it in a dark box at room temperature with a plastic cover over the nipple (it came with the pacifier). Silicone is more resilient as latex and I haven't got much experience with it since I only use latex.

If you take care of your latex pacifier then it can outlive any silicone pacifier, regular care has lead to my pacifier being clear and smooth for months, whereas my first (and last) silicone pacifier only lasted around a month before it became cloudy and abrasive.

Quote Originally Posted by parcelboy2 View Post
    Go to store and get some Milton or other baby bottle sterilizing liquid and use that don't use boiling water it may damage teat
    What about hot water and soap ?

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    I don't think it will hurt anything to keep it very clean but don't mistake yourself for a baby in this sense. They have a less robust immune system and it makes good sense to be cautious. We get by very well with dishwashing soap for other things that go in our mouths.
    Great, thank you for your response , I feel safer now

Quote Originally Posted by AmberBulb95 View Post
    Sterilizing is just for babies (ironic seeing as this also is the case with pacifiers).

Just keep it clean by washing it in warm water every now and then, I wash mine daily but you don't need to wash yours as frequently. Depending on what your pacifier is made from you might need to take into consideration other storage methods; My pacifier is latex, so I store it in a dark box at room temperature with a plastic cover over the nipple (it came with the pacifier). Silicone is more resilient as latex and I haven't got much experience with it since I only use latex.

If you take care of your latex pacifier then it can outlive any silicone pacifier, regular care has lead to my pacifier being clear and smooth for months, whereas my first (and last) silicone pacifier only lasted around a month before it became cloudy and abrasive.
    Great, should I wash it after and before using it ? I've seen some pacifiers with a liquid inside, but if I buy a hollow one and water drops are inside the teat, what should I do ?

Water and soap are ok just use fluid once a week

Great, now, since I still live with my parents, I might not be able to wash the pacifier every time after using it, can this be a problem if I store the pacifier ? I am worried about this.

And how long can the pacifier be stored without using it ?

The air-filled pacifiers are the most common and you're most likely to buy them.

The water-in-teat issue varies from pacifier to pacifier, ventilated pacifiers like Nuk can be gently squeezed to remove water, but other pacifiers with sealed teats can be more difficult, just place them nipple-side-up and let the water escape by itself. Pacifiers like mine (my avatar) rely on an airtight seal to keep the nipple nicely inflated all the time, and are therefor waterproof.

If you're sick then you might want to wash it before each use to ensure you're not reintroducing harmful micro organisms into your system, otherwise don't feel obligated to wash it more than once a week, unless you're like me and like a clean paci before bed.

Dummies aren't a precise science, just wash it when it gets dirty or grimey, replace it when it gets abrasive or broken, and most if all; enjoy the hell out if your new dummy.

I always boiled my kid's stuff because babies immune and skin is way undeveloped, and if I burned one up I was only out a dollar. I did burn some things on the stove, but that is part of being a new mom.
    I suggest you invest in a nicer one and keep it rinsed. I would probably be more inclined to use diluted mouthwash on my silicone one, but only if absolutely necessary. If you have clean teeth when you go to bed, water rinsing should be fine. Use soap only if you notice a film on it. If you have an oily mouth or have any extra oil/lotion on your hands and accidently touch the top then that is the time to use soap. Just remember that soap is designed to remove oil and will remove the natural oil in the plastic. If used every day, the life of the paci will be shortened. Last night I had a new silicone one and just rinsed in warm water. I did use mouthwash only on the plastic case to make it sweeter smelling and the case did feel a little oily for some reason.
    F.L.

Great, thank you ! I was a little worried about this, but not now