Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Doctors Aren't Sure If I Can Ever Carry A Child ...

Unhappy My Doctors Aren't Sure If I Can Ever Carry A Child ...

I've been through a year or so of medical drama.
    A surgery to remove a watermelon sized growth, and ultimately some other cells we didn't know were there ... endometrisosis ... which is on its own not a big deal.
    But combined with complications from the surgery - nobody really knows if I will ever be able to be a mother.
    I know adoption is an option, but this is still tearing my world apart.
    And I know I'm not super well known in the forums or anything I just wanted to be able to tell someone. Because my family isn't overly helpful on the matter ... I guess given that I'm only 20 I should not stress it anyway, at least according to them.

I'm sorry to hear that happen, some members of my family have taken some things as a grain of salt that mattered a lot to me. Some also don't agree with my ever changing jobs. I just can't stand some of the treatment that I receive from these companies. Then they get upset with me when I just give up on a job that I can't stand. If they were in my shoes, I believe their opinion would differ. I can't really say I know what you're going through, it would be a lie. Even if you can't have a baby of your own, adoption is a great way to go. Your motherly instincts will guide you as you'd do if they were your own. I hope that you can have a child of your own, and hope you bright future.

Quote Originally Posted by GlitteredArtist View Post
    I've been through a year or so of medical drama.
    A surgery to remove a watermelon sized growth, and ultimately some other cells we didn't know were there ... endometrisosis ... which is on its own not a big deal.
    But combined with complications from the surgery - nobody really knows if I will ever be able to be a mother.
    I know adoption is an option, but this is still tearing my world apart.
    And I know I'm not super well known in the forums or anything I just wanted to be able to tell someone. Because my family isn't overly helpful on the matter ... I guess given that I'm only 20 I should not stress it anyway, at least according to them.

I think if you're only 20 have to confront the fact you might not be able to have children / at least at risk of fertility problems you're entitled to be stressed about it. That's a really hard thing. I hope your family are just trying to keep you calm and "looking on the bright side" by telling you not to stress about it, but I guess it's not helping you.

It doesn't matter if you're "well known" or not, people will still feel for you.

Are you recovering well from surgery otherwise?

I'm sorry to hear this as well. It was very difficult for my wife to conceive because she's diabetic, but we had two children and adopted a third, her nephew. I"m adopted and very grateful for my loving parents who wanted me. Here where I live, Lynchburg, home of Thomas Rd. Baptist Church and Liberty U., Dr. Jerry Falwell actually did a very good thing. As you can imagine, he was very opposed to abortion, so he created Merium House, a place for young, unwed mothers to go and have their babies. Most, I suppose, are put up for adoption. This gives a wonderful opportunity for these babies to find parents who both want them and are able to provide a stable home.

Look in your community to see if such an organization exists. Don't give up on yourself quite yet, but if you can't conceive, you can be a loving parent to a child who needs just that: love.

The doctors wouldn't be doing their job if they didn't at least prepare you for the worst case scenario. But lets hope you end up with the best case, the ability to reproduce and carry to term.

Remember that the medical profession is based on science but it also has an amount of art. They've come a long way but there are things that they still don't know about the human body.

Not to slam doctors and no offense to any that may be listening, but sometimes they just don't know what the outcome will be. Otherwise they would give them more than just a license to PRACTICE.

As you and others have said, there is adoption. There is also the possibility of having eggs removed, fertilized and then implanted into a person willing to carry the baby for you. Maybe in 10 years they will have some other yet to be determined solution.

Let's hope for the best. You are young and that is in your favor. The body has ways to repair itself.

Here's wishing you a speedy recovery and the very best.

Hello GlitteredArtist

We are here to support each other, and listen to anyone who needs a friend.

I have been through some tough things myself and that includes a miscarriage. Even though my wife went through the physical trauma, I still went through the emotional trauma. There is always that doubt whether you are fertile or not. We had a very hard time conceiving and it is definitely magical when it happens.

I also did reproductive science research for 15 years and I would say that there is other options and possibilities to help with infertility. Also there is so much stuff that they are working on that when the time comes there maybe something that can help correct the issues that may have occurred because of the surgery.

Take care and let the powers to be do what there wishes may be.

Egor

I hope you are recovering well GlitteredArtist.

They told my mom that she would never be able to have kids, I think she was 22 at the time still "partying it up" she didn't know she was pregnant until about 4 months into it.
    you can't always believe what they tell you.

When you're dealing with a crisis, families can be, well, difficult. They may know you're upset and want to be supportive, but they don't know how. I think there are a number of factors to consider, including age, health and family medical history. It may be worth getting a second opinion from another doctor to discuss the possibilities and available options.

Default My Doctors Aren't Sure If I Can Ever Carry A Child ...

You can still try. if it doesnt work, As you said, you could adopt. There are plenty of kids that need homes. More people should be open to it really. Don't torture yourself about it. Something will work out somehow. I'm sure it's not easy to deal with, but there are options.