Thread: Need advice on cloth diapers

Default Need advice on cloth diapers

I am thinking of buying a few cloth diapers, because I am taking a pay cut and won't be able to purchase disposible diapers for a while. I've always wore disposible diapers and I have always thought about buying cloth diapers. My question is, do any of you wear/like cloth diapers better over disposible diapers, and what makes a good cloth diaper good?

Hi Indram, welcome to ADISC.

I'm a person who likes both disposable and cloth. Cloth diapers are expensive by piece and are cheaper when you get to reuse them. Most cloth diapers are pretty much the same, some fabrics are softer against the skin, some are designed for the most absorption. The first step is knowing what kind of cloth diaper you would rather.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Indram, welcome to ADISC.

I'm a person who likes both disposable and cloth. Cloth diapers are expensive by piece and are cheaper when you get to reuse them. Most cloth diapers are pretty much the same, some fabrics are softer against the skin, some are designed for the most absorption. The first step is knowing what kind of cloth diaper you would rather.

Cloth diapers in general aren't thin as disposables are, the SAP in the diapers allows diapers to be as thin as they are these days and expand heavily when wet. Cloth diapers on the other hand require more and more fabric for your needs.

The other pros for cloth diapers is that they do a better job of spreading the wetness around the diaper. They also don't clump up and make the diaper feel weird, they stay the same all the way around and you'll have a constant waddle.

If you are looking into pre-fold diapers, they don't require pins, and they are other options out there that make applying these really easy, such as Snappi fasteners and Boingos. These are worn with plastic pants, and can be easier to maintain.

AIO (All in Ones) are cloth diapers that are close as possible to disposable diapers for ease of use, laundering these can take longer and the cloth fabric will usually outlast the waterproof layer. These don't absorb as much and adding inserts is limited to what the AIO diaper will fit in it. These have their own sub categories as their are a few different options. There's pocket diapers that are like AI2 (all in two) that have a pocket for the inserts and you can wash them seperately.

Overall between the two, Pre-fold diapers will allow you to layer quite a bit if you like to feel the bulk. I use baby pre-folds from Gerber bought from Wal-mart as stuffers. I can make them as thick or as thin as I'd like them. Most of the cloth diaper market apart from the cheaply made FuuBuu diapers found on EBay are good, Dependeco is also on EBay and they sell AIO type of cloth diapers on EBay as well. Baby-pants.com has some good pre-folds and plastic pants. Their Gerber White plastic pants are really crinkly if that's what you like.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks for the tips. I looked around on the web and found a few that I think will work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Indram View Post
    Thanks for the tips. I looked around on the web and found a few that I think will work fine.
    I've been wearing Dependco AIO's for over a year now and like them real well. Here's there site all in one adult baby cloth diapers
    Recently I got some prefolds and contour diapers from CTDC. I've been trying these as well and like them as well. The prefolds though
    are a little bit thicker through the crotch so you'll waddle a little bit when you walk. The contour one's meanwhile with the hourglass
    shape are easier to walk in and will work better under clothes. With all of these you will need plastic pants.
    Here's CTDC site Changing Times Diaper Company

I wear mine for need so I've been wearing my AIO's for overnight. The prefolds and contours will be used
    mostly for afternoon use after I'm done for the day out and about.