Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: May he RIP Mickey Rooney

Default May he RIP Mickey Rooney

I liked a lot of his early movies, as well as his TV appearances in the 50's and early 60's.

I only saw him in Pete's Dragon and The Black Stallion. But he played in lot of movies and did some voice acting for animated movies.

To be honest, I figured he was already dead. Good for him hanging on so long! Pretty close timing with Shirley Temple, too. I think the last thing I saw him in was Breakfast at Tiffany's, and his part really didn't age well. I'll have to see him in something else for a better memory. RIP.

I too, had thought he had passed before yesterday...

Mickey Rooney (born Joseph Yule, Jr.; September 23, 1920 – April 6, 2014) was an American film actor and entertainer whose film, television, and stage appearances spanned nearly his entire lifetime.

He received multiple awards, including a Juvenile Academy Award, an Honorary Academy Award, two Golden Globes and an Emmy Award. Working as a performer since he was a child, he was a superstar as a teenager for the films in which he played Andy Hardy, and he had one of the longest careers of any actor, spanning 92 years actively making films in ten decades, from the 1920s to the 2010s. For a younger generation of fans, he gained international fame for his leading role as Henry Dailey in The Family Channel's The Adventures of the Black Stallion.

Until his death in April 2014, Rooney was one of the last surviving stars who worked in the silent film era. He was also the last surviving cast member of several films in which he appeared during the 1930s and 1940s.
    My respects,
    -Marka

I liked his appearance in the "Twilight Zone" about a jockey that was accused of cheating and during the whole show he is growing bigger.

The other favorite of mine is "Boys Town".

Gad....as a kid watching glorious fuzzy black and white TV, I remember seeing him in so many movies. During the early days of television, they didn't always have programming for the weekends, so they'd show endless movies. He really was quite an amazing actor, especially in his early years. Not only did he act, but he sang and dance. So many of them did back in those earlier years of movies.

RIP Mickey dude. Another golden oldie off to the long red carpet in the sky.

Has anyone seen his AB film? la vida lactea

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Gad....as a kid watching glorious fuzzy black and white TV, I remember seeing him in so many movies. During the early days of television, they didn't always have programming for the weekends, so they'd show endless movies. He really was quite an amazing actor, especially in his early years. Not only did he act, but he sang and dance. So many of them did back in those earlier years of movies.
    same experience for me as DogBoy.... (knowing smile)
    i think that my perennial favorite movies of His are *Boys Town* 1838 with Spencer Tracy, & *National Velvet* 1944 with a very young Elizabeth Taylor.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelodgewrecker View Post
    same experience for me as DogBoy.... (knowing smile)
    i think that my perennial favorite movies of His are *Boys Town* 1838 with Spencer Tracy, & *National Velvet* 1944 with a very young Elizabeth Taylor.
    Both of those were giants among earlier films. And wow, the young Elizabeth Taylor. I'll never forget her performance in "Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf" with her husband, Richard Burton.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Both of those were giants among earlier films. And wow, the young Elizabeth Taylor. I'll never forget her performance in "Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf" with her husband, Richard Burton.
    they just don't make movies or star's like those any more....