Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bosses

Default bosses

do you have boss that you like or don't? My morning boss is amazing my boss from 2.00pm to 4.30pm is a nightmare

Pretty happy with my immediate manager and his immediate manager.. beyond that not so much.

The two levels above me came from a technical background and worked their way up. When I deal with them I always feel like we're collaborating on the problem. Having been where I am, they know what it is to be getting absolutely nowhere with a problem and how little it helps to have someone chew them out over deadlines and budget.

Above that are pure managers with little or no actual technical background. People who graduated with an MBA, started out as low level managers and worked their way up. They barely grasp the technical nature of what we do down here. It's all just spreadsheets and numbers to them (which that high up is probably necessary). Also a completely different attitude. I usually feel more like I'm answering to them rather than working with them. The fact that I would have to deal with these guys on a more regular basis is seriously one of the things that has kept me perusing more leadership type positions (I'm currently a team lead, which where I work is basically a developer with some added chores and slightly more visibility).

A boss is like a diaper, always on your ass and usually full of shit!
    My boss hates me because I'm not a born again Christian like him, his boss owns the company, got it from his father, and is running it to ruin.

Quote Originally Posted by Nam Repaid View Post
    A boss is like a diaper, always on your ass and usually full of shit!
    My boss hates me because I'm not a born again Christian like him, his boss owns the company, got it from his father, and is running it to ruin.
    that must suck man reminds me of the time i first started my job last june my co worker asked me what i think of Jehovah's Witnesse while i told her that i was a atheist and that i shut the door on them guess what? She said she was one of them we have had many words since then and sometimes it can get weird but for the most part we get along

How ironic that religion is brought up at your workplaces, where of course it shouldn't be. I on the other hand, am a Methodist minister of music, where religion is my job. I have a wonderful minister for my boss, but in many ways, the entire congregation is my boss. Pleasing everyone is one tough gig, but I seem to manage.

There's a guy I work with who thinks he's my boss. He was recently promoted to a supervisor position, and I was trusted with the "pleasure" of teaching him how to be a proper team lead, but he has no shred of common sense and refuses to learn anything I try to teach him. Some people are just unsuited for a team lead position and you just have to stomach through it, because you can't really tell another manager if they're just trying to do their job. If they're doing something objectively reprehensible, that's a completely different story.

Quote Originally Posted by ClandestineWing View Post
    Some people are just unsuited for a team lead position
    i'll second that.
    even though i can do supervising or managing, technically, a crucial element to being in a position of respect is to able to command that respect, naturally; as a midget, i don't, i have to earn it.

and aside from a few immediate shopfloor superiors, i can honestly say that i've never had a good boss. every one has has either bad at managing or an outright lawbreaker putting people's lives and livelihoods at risk. and if you think i'm exaggerating: of the five permanent jobs i've had, four went bust due to bad or mis-management (been made redundant three times) and i was injured out of my last job due to my employer's lawbreaking. (all told, i've had more than a hundred jobs, but most were temporary).

Quote Originally Posted by zackiepooh1992 View Post
    do you have boss that you like or don't? My morning boss is amazing my boss from 2.00pm to 4.30pm is a nightmare
    In my case it would be an impossible nightmare if my boss would suck / if I didn't like him...

(I'm my own boss )

Quote Originally Posted by EPO1 View Post
    In my case it would be an impossible nightmare if my boss would suck / if I didn't like him...

(I'm my own boss )
    Sweet that must be nice!!

Quote Originally Posted by zackiepooh1992 View Post
    Sweet that must be nice!!
    Like everything in life it has it's pros and cons.

Running your own business comes with a whole set of unique problems - starting with a work-load that will not easily be matched by anyone in a hired job position.
    It comes with the FULL responsibility for EVERYTHING in your business...
    There's no guaranteed pay - if it's a shitty month, you'll earn "shitty"... if it's a good one, you'll have to wisely set aside something for the low-downs.
    If you're sick you keep working, unless you can't walk anymore... there is insurance coverage - but most just kicks in after like 30 days or more (anything lower is just far too expensive).... so if you have that cold - there's no use in calling HR and telling that you won't be in for the next two days but still get paid.
    If you want to go traveling (vacation) - you not just have no pay during that time, but you still have all the ongoing costs plus there's hardly new work coming in if you're not there to write quotes, send invoices and get work done. so it becomes a LOT more difficult to get away from the business.
    ...... and if you have employees, well it's another topic ...

It has its positive aspects too... otherwise I woulnd't be doing it.
    you get to pull the strings - make all the decisions, you're the one responsible - which is nice.
    you build something up from the ground, shape it according to your own ideas and ideals.
    if you're successful it really feels rewarding - seeing your own company strive is incredibly nice.
    If you don't have a pressing full schedule, you can take a day off and need not to ask anyone...
    for example during the motorcycle-season here, I often just get on my bike whenever I feel like, take a 4hrs to 2-day trip to anywhere... and I need no ones permission... stuff like that is cool. but if the schedule is full, well there's no room for "extras".
    you decide HOW you work - how you do your stuff... you follow your own ethics, your own logic, your own decisions, etc...

ultimately if you don't have the stamina and self discipline to work hard without someone else telling you what to do, you will fail.