Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ageplayers vs Littles: The parallel with transsexuality

Default Ageplayers vs Littles: The parallel with transsexuality

I just had a very interesting idea.

Not long ago, we were having a discussion about different types of AB's, and some definitions related to them. One of the distinctions that came up was related to the way people feel about themselves in the role of a young child. Some AB's, like me, feel that they are role-playing because they enjoy it, but don't feel like they actually are a young child and wouldn't choose to actually become a child again if they could. Some AB's, however, DO see themselves as an actual child, just in a grown person's body. The definitions are somewhat unclear, but for clarity, let's call the people who like role-playing as a young child ageplayers and the people who feel that they actually are a young child littles.

Before we continue, let's dive into another world. There are men in this world who like to dress up like a woman, put on make-up, wear high heels and all of that stuff. They are called transvestites; most male transvestites identify as a man, but nevertheless really enjoy pretending that they are a woman. On the other hand, some biological men feel that they are actually women, born in the wrong body, and they often search treatment to actually, physically, become the woman they feel they are. They are called transsexuals, and they're significantly different from transvestites.

Now let's apply this to the situation in the AB world. Ageplayers, like transvestites, enjoy acting and dressing like someone they actually aren't. They love to play pretend. Sometimes it's sexual, sometimes it's not, but it's always a very important part of who they are. However, they don't mind going back to their everyday life, and they're not bothered by their everyday body.

On the other hand, littles, like transsexuals, actually want to be someone they're physically not. They feel that they are in the wrong body, and they want to adopt a completely different lifestyle from the one society expects them to have.

The point I am trying to make is this: Ageplayers are the AB equivalent of transvestites, and Littles are the AB equivalent of transsexuals.

At least, that's what I think. If I'm right, this means that my previous post about AB's, littles and ageplayers being pretty much the same thing was wrong. Also, if I'm right, it's probably important to make this a semi-official distinction, so everyone can find his or her place and understand each other a bit more. But of course, more research on the subject is needed first. Also, I'd like to know what you guys think. Brilliant idea, load of crap, or somewhere in between?

Quote Originally Posted by Albasion View Post
    I just had a very interesting idea.

Not long ago, we were having a discussion about different types of AB's, and some definitions related to them. One of the distinctions that came up was related to the way people feel about themselves in the role of a young child. Some AB's, like me, feel that they are role-playing because they enjoy it, but don't feel like they actually are a young child and wouldn't choose to actually become a child again if they could. Some AB's, however, DO see themselves as an actual child, just in a grown person's body. The definitions are somewhat unclear, but for clarity, let's call the people who like role-playing as a young child ageplayers and the people who feel that they actually are a young child littles.

Before we continue, let's dive into another world. There are men in this world who like to dress up like a woman, put on make-up, wear high heels and all of that stuff. They are called transvestites; most male transvestites identify as a man, but nevertheless really enjoy pretending that they are a woman. On the other hand, some biological men feel that they are actually women, born in the wrong body, and they often search treatment to actually, physically, become the woman they feel they are. They are called transsexuals, and they're significantly different from transvestites.

Now let's apply this to the situation in the AB world. Ageplayers, like transvestites, enjoy acting and dressing like someone they actually aren't. They love to play pretend. Sometimes it's sexual, sometimes it's not, but it's always a very important part of who they are. However, they don't mind going back to their everyday life, and they're not bothered by their everyday body.

On the other hand, littles, like transsexuals, actually want to be someone they're physically not. They feel that they are in the wrong body, and they want to adopt a completely different lifestyle from the one society expects them to have.

The point I am trying to make is this: Ageplayers are the AB equivalent of transvestites, and Littles are the AB equivalent of transsexuals.

At least, that's what I think. If I'm right, this means that my previous post about AB's, littles and ageplayers being pretty much the same thing was wrong. Also, if I'm right, it's probably important to make this a semi-official distinction, so everyone can find his or her place and understand each other a bit more. But of course, more research on the subject is needed first. Also, I'd like to know what you guys think. Brilliant idea, load of crap, or somewhere in between?
    Well more or less this is what I have been trying to say for about a year now. The only thing to point out is that transgender would be the correct word NOT transexual.

From my website:
    What Do We Mean When We Say "Age"?:
    “One is only as old as they feel...”

Lets start by breaking down some definitions:

"Age Identity"- a person's private sense, and subjective experience, of their own age. All societies have a set of age identities that can serve as the basis of the formation of a social identity in relation to other members of society. In most societies, there is a basic division between age attributes assigned to the different age identities. Society assigns age identities on the basis of one's chronological age and appearance. One's age identity is no more attached to their chronological age than gender or sexual orientation is to one's biological sex. Some mainstream examples of age identies are: baby, toddler, child, teen, young adult, adult, senior, and super senior. There are however, other age idenities outside the typical spectrum which are important to ABDL*s such as

"Assigned Age Identity/Age Group"- Socially constructed labels given involuntarily to individuals based on their outward appearance.
    Example: A male person appears to be about 45 years of chronological age, is labeled as a "middle-aged man".

"Mental Age/Mentality"- used in more of a clinical/legal sense to convey the equivalent level of one's mental function compared to others of the same chronological age.
    Example: A chronologically aged male of 45 years who has a mental age of 2 would most likely be described as being severely functionally impaired and unable to live independently.

"Chronological Age"- someone's age as counted from birth.
    Example someone born in 1990 is chronologically 23 years old in the year 2013.

“Age non-conformity”- defined most simply as behaviors and self-expression that does not conform to the social expectations for one’s assigned age identity.
    Example: Thumb sucking that continues past preschool.

“Age-dysphoria”- sadness and general sense of unease in individuals that feel that their age identity is not in line with their body or the way they are percieved by others. Individuals experiencing age dysphoria essentially feel that the world sees treats them as an if they were stuck in the wrong age.

So what do all these words mean? Ultimately the word “age” by itself is meaningless without context. Age non-conformity explains the motivations and behaviors of some individuals within the ABDL* spectrum very well. While a great number of ABDL*s consider themselves adults, and their ABDL* behaviors as simply a fetish, there are others withing the community who consider themselves to be outside the typical socially constructed age groups. For this subset of ABDL*s, there is a disconnect between their age identity and their physical body that leads to a phenomenon called “age dysphoria”. While there are some individuals who identify as babies/children 100% of the time, there are also age identity equivalents of the more fluid gender identities that exist such as: genderqueer, bigender, agender.... The author of this website himself identifies as agequeer because his behaviors and self-expression are a blend of different age norms and are quite fluid. Fluidity means essentially the same thing with regard to age as it does with gender with the exception of the fact that fluidity is no longer the opposite of being static. Static is the cultural norm for gender whereas for age it is not. The majority of the human race does not have a static age identity, instead it is for the most part a linear progression also known as “growing up”. Fluidity in an age related sense means moving between characteristics of age identities in no particular order.

So in a nutshell, saying someone else is "20 years old" doesn't really carry a lot of meaning. There are several different types of ages one can have and none of them have to match up with one another. Most importantly though, age identity is not always visible and only the individual can know with certainty what their own personal age identity is.

An Few Possible Examples Of Age:

Chronological Age: 21

Assigned Age Identity: Young Adult

Age-identity: agequeer

Mental Age: 28 (28/21*100= 138IQ)

Good post! I'm curious tho what is the difference between a little and a AB? From what i have learned a age player is some one who enjoys to dress up and play at a younger age.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong

Interesting you posted this. I've talked about the same thing with my cross-dressing friend before he went to basic training, he told me that he likes to dress and act like a girl and I opened up a little and told him that I like dressing and acting little. We talked for awhile about literally everything you said in this post. Though, I do feel like I could describe myself as "little" more than an "ageplayer".

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverSmall View Post
    Well more or less this is what I have been trying to say for about a year now. The only thing to point out is that transgender would be the correct word NOT transexual.
    I was actually not sure which of the two was correct. Not everyone seems to agree on the definitions of the two words... now, where have I seen that before? Anyway, thanks for the lengthy and thorough post, very interesting

Quote Originally Posted by mommyslittlewiatt View Post
    Good post! I'm curious tho what is the difference between a little and a AB? From what i have learned a age player is some one who enjoys to dress up and play at a younger age.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong
    Not everyone agrees, but AB is the most generally used term for everything related. It's kind of a misnomer, since most 'AB's' are actually more like adult toddlers, but nevertheless in my mind it serves as a catch-all term for all ageplayers, littles and people with related feelings. The word 'ageplayer' is possibly even more ill-defined, so I'm not really going to do over all the possible things someone could mean by it... but in the first post, I explained what I mean by it.

Quote Originally Posted by ShAd0w10 View Post
    Though, I do feel like I could describe myself as "little" more than an "ageplayer".
    Out of sheer curiosity: why?

I agree with shadow10
    After reading about the differences between a AB and little I feel more like a little then a AB.
    I read that a little is basicly some one who has felt like they were born with these feelings and feel like they are an adult with a child mindset that is grown up enough to deal with everyday life.

Iv always felt like i have had these disires since i was little like age 3 or 4 i remember trying to put on a diaper at day care and getting caught and I always wanted to play with the baby's and help feed them rather then play with kids my own age.even now I get emotionally attached to things like stuffed animals and friends .

Sorry albasion for kinda hijacking your thread i apologize, just wanted to answer.

I fought about this exact same thing for the first time a few months and thought that should post about it sometime, but yeah I agree completely with this comparison. Also by this definition I identify as an ageplayer.

Edit: Btw I also felt like using diapers or rather feel like a baby as early as 3 or 4 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Albasion View Post
    Out of sheer curiosity: why?
    Pretty much what Wiatt said.
    vvv

Quote Originally Posted by mommyslittlewiatt View Post
    I agree with shadow10
    After reading about the differences between a AB and little I feel more like a little then a AB.
    I read that a little is basically some one who has felt like they were born with these feelings and feel like they are an adult with a child mindset that is grown up enough to deal with everyday life.

Iv always felt like i have had these desires since i was little like age 3 or 4 i remember trying to put on a diaper at day care and getting caught and I always wanted to play with the baby's and help feed them rather then play with kids my own age.even now I get emotionally attached to things like stuffed animals and friends .

I like your analogy, and I think it works well. Rosalie Bent talks about this early on in her book, "There's a Baby In My Bed". Since the books deals with adult babies, she mentions age players in passing, and spends the entire discussion on adult babies, who regress. Regression is a genuine mental phenomenon, controlled by some deep seeded need, where age playing is more by conscious choice.