Thread: Deconstructed My First MAMs!

Default Deconstructed My First MAMs!

So proud of myself right now. I took apart my first set of MAMs. I bought 2 regular Nuk 5s to attempt modifying them on my own. I already had a MAM that I love and bought another set for $6 to take apart and use. So essentially doing it myself I am saving about $15-$20 on two of them. They should arrive in the mail today and I can finish by taking apart the Nuk 5s and putting them on the MAM shields.

*Lets out a happy squeal* I am soooo happy and excited. I bought one for myself and another for a friend. Today is gonna be a great day hehe

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140317_024211.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	20326Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140317_024216.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	20327

Congrats. How easy was it to take apart an existing pacifier? I've never thought about doing that, but it seems like if you're able to do it right, it could save quite a bit of money.

Not easy at all. I had read someone else's post that said use a screwdriver and somebody suggested a hair dryer. Well this little doesn't own any tools aside from a pair of needle nose pliers. I heated them up real well (2-3 times) with my hair dryer and than gripped the button with my teeth and poof popped right off. I know probably not best idea using my teeth but I used what I had available to me lol, beside I don't think I screw my teeth up worse than they already are. I tried to pry is off with something trick ruined the paci I did that with but this worked nicely considering how impossible MAMs seem to be to take apart :P

I have been modifying my own pacifiers for a while. Not that hard. Easiest way is if you do not need the Nuk mouth guard to stay intact. But yeah it save a ton of money.

If I ever get my hands on some Nuk 5s, I'll probably do what you're doing. It would definitely save some money. I'm also fond of the MAM shields.

By the way, love the avatar, FireFanatic. I love Stanley.

Yay! Another Stanley lover. That has by far always been one of my favorite cartoons. Ya the MAMs can be a real pain to take apart without ruining them but I think it was an even bigger pain trying to snap the buttons back on lol. The Nuk 5s however I don't think I could have pried apart and not damaged the shield without damaging the teat. So on the second one I made things easier and took this little wire cutter/plies things I have, carefully got them in between the guard and teat underneath in a way that wouldn't cut the teat and cut through the shield all the way across than just pried it open and popped the teat out. Took the little plastic piece out of the top of the teat and put it on my mam shield Now that I know better what I am doing should be much easier next time around. Very proud of myself for being able to figure it out and save about $15 for two of them. I will definitely be modifying my own from now on. Except for when I finally decide to get one in silicone, so far I have only seen those through PacifiersRUs and I like the feel of silicone much better than the latex ones. Plus silicone seems to stand up better to the horrible habit I have of chewing on my paci

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and Fetware on Ebay right now is selling plain white Nuk 5s for $15.95 with free shipping thats where I got mine from.

Quote Originally Posted by FireFanatic View Post
    Not easy at all. I had read someone else's post that said use a screwdriver and somebody suggested a hair dryer. Well this little doesn't own any tools aside from a pair of needle nose pliers. I heated them up real well (2-3 times) with my hair dryer and than gripped the button with my teeth and poof popped right off. I know probably not best idea using my teeth but I used what I had available to me lol, beside I don't think I screw my teeth up worse than they already are. I tried to pry is off with something trick ruined the paci I did that with but this worked nicely considering how impossible MAMs seem to be to take apart :P
    I figured out an easier way to take apart MAM pacifiers a while ago. Even made a video about it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1OQ_ITzjCk
    Much less strain on your teeth

I will have to remember that for future paci mods. Will be awhile though my back can't handle doing something like that right now so I try to refrain from being on the floor much