Accepting Yourself - And Your Liking Of Diapers

ADISC said:
Accepting yourself as who you are is difficult. Everybody across the globe has insecurities, secrets and some trouble believing that the "real" them will ever be fully accepted by their friends, family, peers and significant others. Everybody has secrets they feel will alter the way others think about them, and everybody has things about themself which they think are abnormal. It is these things which get in the way of self-acceptance.

So, what if the abnormal thing about you revolves around diapers? You may be an adult baby, a diaper lover, a babyfur, a sissy, a little girl, or a caretaker, but whichever of these you fall into it is likely that at some point in your past or present, you have been struck with the worry that this is not normal, that there may be something wrong with you, and that this is not a side of you that is easy to accept.

So, how can you begin to accept yourself as somebody who enjoys diapers?

Well, the first thing you need to accept is that wearing diapers is not wrong. It does not make you dirty or disgusting. It does not mean that you have an interest in real babies. It does not mean that you are some sort of pervert. It just means that you have found an object, or a way of regressing, which offers you something in return, whether that is sexual gratification, security, comfort, a stress-relief, or something else. So long as your interest in diapers is not causing you or anybody else harm, then it cannot be seen as wrong.

Once you have accepted that your interest is not wrong, then you need to come to terms with the fact that it is unusual. Enjoyment from wearing and using diapers is a little weird and outside of the norm. It is somewhat strange, but that is okay. Learn to laugh at yourself, and say yes, this is a little weird, and to people outside of the interest I probably do look odd dressed in a diaper, but so what? I like it, it harms nobody, it makes me happy and that is what is important.

Remember that everybody has strange and unexplainable interests; it's just that some are more publicly known about, and thus acceptable, than others. There are certainly stranger things to be interested in than diapers, which a quick Google search will prove.

Any interest will seem a little odd to those who don’t have it. For example, to me, having an interest in cars is completely unexplainable and I find them incredibly boring, but lots of people have an interest in cars that goes much deeper than just using them to get from A to B, and that's okay. Nobody thinks that's strange, even though a car is just a very expensive inanimate object.

Being interested in diapers is just the same - many people will find having an interest in diapers and other things they see as being for "babies" as strange. They don't understand it because they don't share the same interest, but that’s fine. Just because something is unusual does not mean it is wrong. Unfortunately, an interest in diapers is just not as mainstream as one in cars, but when you unpick the interest, and people’s reasons behind it, there actually isn’t much difference between an interest in diapers and an interest in anything else.

The third thing to realise is that just because this interest is strange does not mean you are on your own. You are by no means the first person to have this interest, and you are not the first person to feel like you do. Lots of people share an interest in diapers with you; it's just that because this subject is considered taboo hardly anybody talks about it unless it's behind the safety of a computer screen. There are hundreds of other weird fetishes and interests out there as well, and although the majority of people you meet won't be adult babies or diaper lovers, a proportion of them probably do have some other fetish or interest that, were they to tell you about, you would find weird.

Realising that you are not alone, and finding other people who share your interest, will really help. The fact that you are here on the ADISC website is great, and if you are struggling to accept yourself and haven’t already done so, sign up and become a member. Talking to other people here will really help you to realise that there are other regular people who like diapers, and that the vast majority of us are people with regular jobs, friends, families, partners and, perhaps most importantly, lives and interests outside of diapers.

Whilst it is always comforting to meet other people who share your interest in diapers, and to finally have people who you can confide in about this side of yourself, the best way to begin accepting yourself is often to find people who you share interests with outside of diapers as well, and it is possible to strike up such relationships on these forums. Have a look on the introduction and off-topic boards and see if you can find anyone with similar interests, look in the groups section of ADISC and join some groups which match your other interests, say hello to them, and perhaps send a PM or visitor message. ADISC also has quite an active chatroom, where the topic is usually completely unrelated to diapers, and this is a good place to begin to meet people.

In these ways you will be able to find people who share your diaper interest, but with whom you can talk to about things outside of diapers. Of course sometimes you will talk about diapers and other things related to your interests, but it is the conversations about regular things – films, TV, school and their interests – that will likely help you to realise that liking diapers is something you share with a lot of other regular people. This will help to reaffirm that, just like these people, you are just a regular person who happens to like diapers. Once you begin to see other people who like diapers as friends, and realise that they are just regular people like any other friends you have outside of this community, it will be much easier to accept yourself as a regular person who happens to like diapers as well.

As you try to come to accept your interest in diapers, it is important to keep reassuring yourself that this is who you are. You likely did not choose this interest, and it is probably not something that you can change, and, it not something should you have to do. It is not abnormal to have a fetish or interest in something. Some fetishes/interests are of course more common than others, but that doesn't make yours wrong or weird. You will probably have this interest forever. There may be times in your life when your desires to wear diapers and other things revolving around this interest become stronger, and there may be times in your life where they go away for a while, but there is no point trying to fight or suppress this side of yourself, as such will only make you unhappy. Embrace the fact that you have this interest, and that it is part of what makes you you.

There may, of course, be times when you are really struggling to accept this side of yourself, or where you feel like it is becoming a problem. In these cases, seek help. There will almost certainly be members on ADISC who have felt, or still are, feeling exactly as you are. There will be people who are able to offer advice specific to your situation. At these times use the community to your advantage, and know that accepting yourself as somebody who likes diapers does get easier; part of accepting who you are will come just through the experience and insight getting older brings with it.

Finally, understand that there will always be people who will not accept or understand this interest, but that does not make you in the wrong. There are people who just will not accept people who are different from them, and most minority groups, including homosexual people, single parents, people with disabilities, and people from ethnic minorities, have to deal with those who will treat them with contempt and with a lack of respect and those who will say all kinds of ill-informed and unkind things. There will likely always be people who refuse to understand why an adult would like diapers, who think it is wrong or disgusting. There will likely always be television shows and other parts of the media which make fun of us or portray us in a negative light. However, bear in mind that these people do not know what they are talking about. As difficult as it may feel to come across an internet post portraying us badly or ridiculing us, learn to ignore it. Realise that they simply don’t know what they’re talking about.

You know that what you are doing is not wrong. You know that what you are doing harms nobody. You know that you are not alone. You know that there are thousands of other regular people, just like you, out there. You know where you can turn when you need advice. You know that this is just a small part of what makes you, you, and as long as you know all of that, accepting yourself, and ignoring what others say, shouldn’t be too hard.

102-1-lion_cat.jpg

Thank You for sharing this Post.
As someone who has to wear diapers (medical), I can't find myself accepting it, much-less 'Enjoying' it (as a fetish/kink).

I honestly wish I could.
I can make jokes (oh, the jokes!). I can snipe at myself, or pretend it doesn't truly hurt me (as-in discussions with my Dr.(s))...

But it does.

It shames me beyond all logic and reason, and I avoid socializing to the fullest extent life will permit.

I kinda envy folks who find wearing/using diapers 'Fun'... I truly do.

Reactions: Deleted member 47221
PaddedStag said:
As someone who has to wear diapers (medical), I can't find myself accepting it, much-less 'Enjoying' it (as a fetish/kink).

I honestly wish I could.
I can make jokes (oh, the jokes!). I can snipe at myself, or pretend it doesn't truly hurt me (as-in discussions with my Dr.(s))...

But it does.

It shames me beyond all logic and reason, and I avoid socializing to the fullest extent life will permit.

The shame you feel is exactly the same we feel, maybe even worse us because a dl can sometimes believe we choose to love diapers (we don't choose it any more you chose). The real problem is NOT you though (or us). It's general society telling us that it's wrong for any adult to wear a diaper- for any reason. That wearing a diaper is an immoral form of pedophilia. And that incontinence absolutely must be "cured" no matter the cost.

Obviously we all know that's just wrong, but it take a lot more for us to truly take it to heart. It takes a lot to ignore those misgivings, and realize the truth behind it all. Though honestly it "should" be easier for you since it's easier to justify a physical disability than it is to justify a mental need.

Would you hate yourself for needing a bandaid when cut? How about a cast when you have a broken bone? Glasses, hearing aid, or any other device for that matter? So then WHY hate youself for needing diapers?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: LittleDiaperDreamer, Dinotopian2002, freedom69 and 3 others
I gave up wandering why i like diapers and have actively train myself to become a bed-wetter as an adult despite never ever wedtting the bed while growing up..... I find it funny that I'm extremely proud of something that most normal people would be completely humiliated if it happened to them and would do anything to prevent it from happening again

Reactions: Newbe20
PaddedStag said:

I honestly wish I could.

But it does.

Hey there,

I think you need to go easy on yourself, you have a medical condition and no one should think you less for it. If they do it's just the worse form of prejudice.

Once you understand that anyone who thinks less of you because of this are in reality a far worse person than yourself, then maybe you can begin to shield yourself from the shame that you feel and realise that you shouldn't feel ashamed of your medical condition, or allow it to hurt you.

Perhaps what you need is a therapist, if your incontinence is hurting your self esteem and well being.

Hope you feel better soon,

Lewis

robertabdl74 said:
I gave up wandering why i like diapers and have actively train myself to become a bed-wetter as an adult despite never ever wedtting the bed while growing up..... I find it funny that I'm extremely proud of something that most normal people would be completely humiliated if it happened to them and would do anything to prevent it from happening again
As a former bedwetter, I'm quite keen how you 'trained' yourself to wet the bed, not that I would do it, it'd be very inconvenient.

Do you drink lots of water? Start peeing half asleep then fully asleep? How? I've literally had dreams where I would be peeing, feeling like I'm peeing, and nothing would've happened.

It tuck years..... At first. Just getting comfortable with wetting my diapers in bed. At first it would take like 20-30 min just to relax and pee.... Then after alot of practice I could just wet my diaper in any position at the slightly need to pee......it just got easier and easier. Then. After years of training started haveing trouble remembering if I woke to wet...... Weird thing is if I don't where a diapers to bed. I will not wet.... But wake up with a wet diaper and empty bladder if I do

Reactions: Newbe20
At least now I know I am not alone in having had trouble with accepting the rest of my days will be spent like a toddler.

I suffer from OAB or over active bladder syndrome caused by suspected neurological damage from past epilepsy that I suffered from in 1992/1993 a s an adolescent and as a result have been partially incontinent ever since 2010, after I turned 30 years of age.

I have since come to terms with the fact I will be diapered almost 24/7 and it dosn't bother me anymore and given my body is trying to say I should never have been 9ut of diapers in the first place I don't have any issues other than trying to survive in a society that still is mainly hudgely ignorant of pepole with hidden disabilites as I also suffer from life long isdues with severe autism.

However writing this whilst in bed wearing diapers is comforting to know there are other pepole like myself who are not abdl's or out of their minds, sorry if I offended anyone this is just my point of view.

Yours sincerly
Chinababy888.

Oh it was painful but I had to accept myself 2 other times as being a trans girl and a lesbian

I totally agree. I have loved diapers all my life. For me it is comfort, security, and practical. I never need a bathroom, nor do I go out of my way looking for one. I accepted that as a teen and have been happy for doing what makes me feel good.

Reactions: Diaperboy1, PaddedRita, Napincolove and 2 others
I've been wanting to wear diapers all my life and I only just have a chance in the last 2 years when I found out that I can order diapers discreetly. At least I don't need a toilet during the times that I'm wearing a diaper.

Thanks for this. I’m incontinent, but like many ABDL’s I’ve wrestled a lot with wearing diapers for my condition, which has progressively worsened. It’s taken me a long while to embrace them, rather than just see them as a medical device.

More recently I realised I have developed a DL side and my diaper use is for comfort as much as it is for my incontinence. I began to feel more ashamed and guilty, until it became my darkest secret that I was using diapers as a comfort blanket. I felt even more useless.

But then I remembered that I deal with severe chronic pain from the waist down. And even the painkillers I get don’t touch it that much. So if my diapers give me pain relief that can’t be a bad thing. Even if it’s awkward to admit it. My best friend has seen the effect a thick diaper has on me and I’m much more relaxed that usual. So if a thick diaper can keep me dry AND provide pain relief then diaper me up!

I’m trying to muster the courage to date again. However, I’m worried about how possible partners will see me, considering I have a couple of disabilities to deal with. To make matters worse, there is a lot of stigma, not only to incontinence but also to my other main illness. As such, finding someone who can accept both of them isn’t easy.
But I’ve dated before, so I can do it again.

Breathe Deep, Seek Peace
Dinotopian2002

Very well written. I agree with everything you have said. Owning an ABDL Supply store I get to meet so many different ABDL's In various stages of self acceptance. I say pretty much the same things that you have written here.

A very interesting thing to read is the Cass Theory of identity formation and acceptance, It was written by Vivien Cass a physchologist based in Australia. Developed initially for gender identity in regards to homosexuality.

There is 6 steps someone will go through to reach self acceptance.

I find if you just put on a diaper and wear them all the time as you feel the need to, they are not on your mind as much and you live a happy life. You head isn't consumed by the thought of diapers.

Reactions: Seabass743 and Allygirl15
Calico said:
I find if you just put on a diaper and wear them all the time as you feel the need to, they are not on your mind as much and you live a happy life. You head isn't consumed by the thought of diapers.
This is quite true. I found that this was especially true the first few times I wore to bed. It was so exciting/stimulating (not sexually) and different that I found it difficult to sleep. However now I've gotten used to it and still love it just as much but get to sleep just as usual and can sleep through the night. I also found that if I wear on a regular schedule (one or two nights a week) it helps keep any intrusive thoughts or desires out of my head when I'm doing other things

I ware nappies because I like to

Reactions: Sidewinder
Just about everybody, the whole world over has elements of themselves that they like and thus, wouldn't want to change in any way, shape or form and elements of themselves that they dislike and wish they could change if they could, but can't. Part of any kind of acceptance (even self acceptance) is taking all those elements in stride, the good with the bad.

And it is said that the whole is worth more, than the sum of it's parts.

And just because it's not easy, doesn't mean it can't be done.

Heck, I know there are certain aspects of myself that I don't really like, that I wish I could change, but I know that I can't and am just going to accept that, whether I like it or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lewis Badger
That was Awesome .truly love it I wish the words would come much early in my life.

Becoming an AB/DL helped me to finally come to terms with my sexuality and today I came out to my parents.

casualdiaper said:
Becoming an AB/DL helped me to finally come to terms with my sexuality and today I came out to my parents.
When you came out to your parents, how did they react?

Back