Taking Measurements for Clothing

Mandy

Est. Contributor
Many threads are posted on ADISC to ask for advice on sizing for AB/DL items. A few minutes could save the hassle of wasting money because you bought diapers that were too big, or having to ship back your order because your clothes are too small. Having proper measurements can save time and money.

Supplies

You will need:
- A fabric measuring tape
OR
- String or yarn and a ruler

Fabric measuring tapes can be found at most stores in the sewing or crafting section. I've even found them at local grocery stores. If you have anyone in the house big into dieting or sewing you are very likely to find one at home. They usually range between $1-$2. If you are planning on buying custom AB clothing this would be a good investment as keeping accurate measurements is helpful to you and whoever is making your clothing.

If you are using a string and ruler, hold your placement of where the two ends meet and lay it down next to a ruler. Make sure the string is not too taught or loose. You can even mark your spot with a different colored marker to make sure your measurements are more accurate.

Taking Measurements For Diapers

For proper fitting you will need two very important measurements: waist and hips. For males waist and hip measurements will usually be very close, however most females have larger hips than their waist.

Waist:

Take your measuring tape or your string and keep it at the top of your hip bone all the way across.

Hips:

Measure the widest part of your butt. Make sure that it is the widest part and that it is even all the way around.

Measuring is not as complicated as it seems. Take the larger of the two numbers and use that one to determine your diaper size. Boys should note that for the most part waist size will be very similar or the same as pant size.

Taking Measurements for Custom Diapers or Diaper Covers

213-1-sizechart.jpg

Photo credit: ChangingTimesDiaperCo.com

If you use cloth diaper or diaper covers such as plastic pants you may require a few additional measurements in addition to the ones above. It is also important to note that if you are taking your waist or hip measurement for a diaper cover to take these measurements with a diaper on.

Leg:

To ensure that your plastic pants do not leak out of the leg hole it is important to make sure they have a snug fit around the inner thigh. The leg gather of a diaper cover would sit at the joint of the leg. This area is where your leg meets your body, or in other words, closest to your groin. Just as before, go all the way around keeping a comfortable and straight line.

213-2-Custom_Made_Measurement.jpg

Photo credit: CosplayStation.ca

Some of you are ABs who would like some babyish clothing. Most premade items such as shortalls and onesies only ask for measurements such as trunk length and chest, but there are some additional measurements needed for custom orders.

Chest:

Take your measuring tape and hold it around your chest from armpit to armpit. This should be the fullest part of your chest. As with the other measurements try to keep the line as even as possible the complete way around.

For women: this can be a little trickier depending on what you wear under your clothing. I know I wear sports bras or binders to compress my chest, if this is the case for you too, put on your bra or binder and take the measurements in the same manner as above. If you wear a bra you must take two measurements. First, take a snug measurement right under your bust; if you've ever taken measurements for a bra you should be familiar with this. Then, take another measurement around the fullest part of your bust. The average of these two numbers should be your chest size.

Trunk Size:

Trunk length is usually either the measurement between your shoulder and crotch or your neck to crotch. This is used for onesies and rompers, however, some shops will only provide a height measurement in their sizing chart. For this be sure to check with the website of whomever you are ordering to see which measurement they require. They are very picky and will usually provide a diagram for the measurement.

Neck:

This is probably the most commonly miscalculated measurement. Most assume that they can take their tape or string right around their neck, which isn't the case. Locate the cavity in your collar bone at the bottom of your neck, at shoulder height. It should feel like a small “v” indentation. The proper way to take your measurement is start and end in that cavity. This is your accurate neck size.

*Note* if a website asks for a trunk measurement from neck to crotch, this would be the spot from which to take the measurement.

Points to Remember

When taking measurements it is important to keep the tape snug but not too loose nor too tight. Stand up as straight as possible to prevent slouching and stay as relaxed as possible. Sucking in your stomach is not going to help you.

If you are taking your waist or hips measurement for clothing that you will be wearing over diapers, you should wear diapers while taking the measurements. If you do not, your clothing will be way too snug and will not accommodate for those days when you want to double up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: CrayonRocket, ChibiDolly, omegacommand and 1 other person
Mandy said:
Many threads are posted on ADISC to ask for advice on sizing for AB/DL items. A few minutes could save the hassle of wasting money because you bought diapers that were too big, or having to ship back your order because your clothes are too small. Having proper measurements can save time and money.

Supplies

You will need:
- A fabric measuring tape
OR
- String or yarn and a ruler

Fabric measuring tapes can be found at most stores in the sewing or crafting section. I've even found them at local grocery stores. If you have anyone in the house big into dieting or sewing you are very likely to find one at home. They usually range between $1-$2. If you are planning on buying custom AB clothing this would be a good investment as keeping accurate measurements is helpful to you and whoever is making your clothing.

If you are using a string and ruler, hold your placement of where the two ends meet and lay it down next to a ruler. Make sure the string is not too taught or loose. You can even mark your spot with a different colored marker to make sure your measurements are more accurate.

Taking Measurements For Diapers

For proper fitting you will need two very important measurements: waist and hips. For males waist and hip measurements will usually be very close, however most females have larger hips than their waist.

Waist:

Take your measuring tape or your string and keep it at the top of your hip bone all the way across.

Hips:

Measure the widest part of your butt. Make sure that it is the widest part and that it is even all the way around.

Measuring is not as complicated as it seems. Take the larger of the two numbers and use that one to determine your diaper size. Boys should note that for the most part waist size will be very similar or the same as pant size.

Taking Measurements for Custom Diapers or Diaper Covers

213-1-sizechart.jpg

Photo credit: ChangingTimesDiaperCo.com

If you use cloth diaper or diaper covers such as plastic pants you may require a few additional measurements in addition to the ones above. It is also important to note that if you are taking your waist or hip measurement for a diaper cover to take these measurements with a diaper on.

Leg:

To ensure that your plastic pants do not leak out of the leg hole it is important to make sure they have a snug fit around the inner thigh. The leg gather of a diaper cover would sit at the joint of the leg. This area is where your leg meets your body, or in other words, closest to your groin. Just as before, go all the way around keeping a comfortable and straight line.

Some of you are ABs who would like some babyish clothing. Most premade items such as shortalls and onesies only ask for measurements such as trunk length and chest, but there are some additional measurements needed for custom orders.

Chest:

Take your measuring tape and hold it around your chest from armpit to armpit. This should be the fullest part of your chest. As with the other measurements try to keep the line as even as possible the complete way around.

For women: this can be a little trickier depending on what you wear under your clothing. I know I wear sports bras or binders to compress my chest, if this is the case for you too, put on your bra or binder and take the measurements in the same manner as above. If you wear a bra you must take two measurements. First, take a snug measurement right under your bust; if you've ever taken measurements for a bra you should be familiar with this. Then, take another measurement around the fullest part of your bust. The average of these two numbers should be your chest size.

Trunk Size:

Trunk length is usually either the measurement between your shoulder and crotch or your neck to crotch. This is used for onesies and rompers, however, some shops will only provide a height measurement in their sizing chart. For this be sure to check with the website of whomever you are ordering to see which measurement they require. They are very picky and will usually provide a diagram for the measurement.

Neck:

This is probably the most commonly miscalculated measurement. Most assume that they can take their tape or string right around their neck, which isn't the case. Locate the cavity in your collar bone at the bottom of your neck, at shoulder height. It should feel like a small “v” indentation. The proper way to take your measurement is start and end in that cavity. This is your accurate neck size.

*Note* if a website asks for a trunk measurement from neck to crotch, this would be the spot from which to take the measurement.

Points to Remember

When taking measurements it is important to keep the tape snug but not too loose nor too tight. Stand up as straight as possible to prevent slouching and stay as relaxed as possible. Sucking in your stomach is not going to help you.

If you are taking your waist or hips measurement for clothing that you will be wearing over diapers, you should wear diapers while taking the measurements. If you do not, your clothing will be way too snug and will not accommodate for those days when you want to double up.
thanks this helps

Also consider if wearing bulky more absorbent diapers or if you double diaper up to compensate for this.
Make sure that you have adequate room in the crotch to completely contain a diaper to prevent leaks or
at least contemplate wearing diaper covers usually a size bigger than the diaper size. Thus CROTCH WIDTH
plays an important part.
If you do make an error in ordering on the small side plan on using those diapers as liners inside a well fitting diaper.
You may get mileage out of those if a light wetter perhaps replacing just the smaller liner instead of the whole diaper scheme.
If too large you could scissors trim the excess to be a sort of loin cloth (liner) worn with a tight fitting panty.
Don't despair if you goof all is not lost - you don't have to return for a size correction - trash or charity offering.
First time ordering from a firm - request a complimentary sample or only buy a two pack.

Those measurements remember the Carpenters Rule of measure twice and cut once - it would be a good idea to
do just that measure twice ! In addition the carpenters measure a metal measuring stick do not use it to measure
body dimensions - use a string tape or flexible rule and apply that to the firm ridged metal. The metal strip does
not mold itself to the body like a string or tape - but does give measurements.

Factor in any s-t-r-e-t-c-h elastic spandex in your choice of diapers and how tight fitting your outer clothing maybe.

Need more help there is always this forum and others and the manufactures - avoid costly embarrassing mistakes -

Ah er does this diaper make me look too fat ? LOL !

Mandy said:

Lol @ girls who wear waist-high skirts. And that part of the pic doesnt really make logical sense lol.

No but really, this is a nice and informative thread, thanks.

Reactions: babylock1
So, if a pair of pants, romper, shortalls, diapers, etc, that I’m looking at only lists Waist measurements, I should instead use my larger Hips measurement to compare to the size chart? :0c

And if the stated Waist size range on the chart is smaller than my Hips number, and no Hips range/limit is provided, should I presume they won’t fit?

CrayonRocket said:
So, if a pair of pants, romper, shortalls, diapers, etc, that I’m looking at only lists Waist measurements, I should instead use my larger Hips measurement to compare to the size chart? :0c

And if the stated Waist size range on the chart is smaller than my Hips number, and no Hips range/limit is provided, should I presume they won’t fit?
for nappies/diapers it is better to use your hip measurement as the final factor as the size you get, for example if you have a waist in the M size and hips in the L size you should go with size L.

for clothes most people don’t have completely straight waist to hips, so in all clothes the hip measurement is bigger than the waist measurement somewhat, but if you are concerned about your hips not fitting then going up a bigger size is definitely a good option. it depends on the seller but some you can contact to ask for the hip measurements for sizes or ask if your hips will fit into the size you want to get, especially smaller businesses like on etsy will usually answer.

Here is another way to view this - - -
The WAIST is most always smaller than the HIPS
In order for a waist fitting garment to pass over the larger hips is by having a larger opening at the waist -
Be it a zipper panel button opening a elastic pull-on (over) waist band or so much as a wrap skirt (kilt) effect.
The garment having passed over the hips is then made smaller - closing to fit the waist - - -
If this is not done the garment will simply fall down over the hips.
Diapers are in the category of either being a pull-on (over) the hips to fit the waist -OR-
having wrapping ends over a center rear waist thru the crotch to the front fastening point.
The waist or high hip point is secured by pins or sticky tape tabs.

Diaper Packages are labeled with measurements - these vary by manufacturer - - -
Trail and Error in buying the size that fits you well is best done in single small purchases.
That noted then you have a starting point - between sizes - betwixed bothered bewildered the
preference may tend to size up to ensure having enough diaper to hold the dam back from bursting - ah er leaking !
Now of course having extra diaper bulk material may result in difficulty keeping everything in check in tight fitting clothing.
Also consider what leak proof garment (plastic diaper covers) you will need if necessary and in larger double diapered cases.

Don't be off to buying the wrong size of diapers without doing some research - diapers are not cheap -
While you can made do with either wrong size - your leak containment may not meet your expectations.

By now you should get the jest of this and be off to experiment on you own - - - - -

Another challenge with clothing is different sizing schemes. EU, UK, USA, Asia all use different measures of what is small / medium / large et cetera (and some use centimetres, while others use inches). For a teeshirt, you can try it on and return for a refund if the wrong size, but for intimate clothing, you can't do that, so double check and if in doubt just order one item before you splurge and empty the bank account.

Now with nappies / diapers, it is easier, because for almost all brands you can get samples of one or two to try before you buy a pack or case. I always recommend doing this when you're buying a new style or brand.

However I did once accidentally order large when I needed medium. Fortunately realised as soon as it arrived, and didn't open the pack. Able to send it back fully sealed in original packing and reorder.

Hope this helps!

Back