Thread: Wildstar Thread

Cool Wildstar Thread

Considering Wildstar has been in closed beta for a while now and is nearing both open beta and launch, I feel that I should start a thread for this game.

Wildstar is an upcoming MMORPG created by Carbine Studios set on a planet called nexus, where a group of Exiled races fight against a large space empire for the right to live on the planet and uncover all of its mysteries. The planet used to belong to a race called the Eldan, but they have mysteriously vanished and left behind numerous traces of their existence.

The game will feature many core mechanics that MMO players will feel right at home with such as 5-man instanced dungeons, raids that go all the way up to 40-man, battlegrounds, arenas and open world PvP. Of course an MMO can't be successful without adding in new stuff, and this is where Wildstar seems to currently shine.

Just to name a few things off the top of my head:
    -layered content (EX: kill x number of a certain enemy, the game will prompt you to kill more of them within a certain amount of time in order to gain rewards)

-shiphand missions (instanced missions that you can do either solo or with a party. Much smaller in scale than adventures or dungeons)

-adventures (large open world 5-man instances where you can choose multiple paths of progression. as this is all a simulation and is not involved with the lore in anyway, carbine is doing some crazy cool things with adventures)

-warplots (not much information on these yet, but from the information that is given about them it seems to be a 40v40 pvp game mode where each side builds and protects their own "warplot". You can place defensive turrets, traps and even captured raid/dungeon bosses into your warplot to defend it.)

-housing (furnish a house and your lawn. lots of items. housing just by itself is amazing, but it's intimately tied into everything you do by giving you buffs, farms, mines and other neat things that help you on your journey)

I probably missed a bunch of things, but the information is out there and I'll link a few things further down in this post.

Here are all the DevSpeaks that have been released so far (in order). All of these explain an aspect of the game and how it relates to everything in the world of wildstar:

HOUSING
    WildStar DevSpeak: Housing - YouTube

MOVEMENT
    WildStar DevSpeak: Movement - YouTube

PATHS
    WildStar DevSpeak: Paths - YouTube

AIMING
    WildStar DevSpeak: Aiming - YouTube

CROWD CONTROL
    WildStar DevSpeak: Crowd Control - YouTube

ABILITY MECHANICS
    DevSpeak: Ability Mechanics - YouTube

WARRIOR (class)
    WildStar DevSpeak: Warrior - YouTube

ESPER (class)
    WildStar DevSpeak: Esper - YouTube

SPELLSLINGER (class)
    WildStar DevSpeak: Spellslinger - YouTube

STALKER (class)
    WildStar DevSpeak: Stalker - YouTube

MEDIC (class)
    WildStar DevSpeak: Medic - YouTube

ENGINEER (class)
    WildStar DevSpeak: Engineer - YouTube

CUSTOMIZATION
    WildStar DevSpeak: Customization - YouTube

ADVENTURES
    WildStar DevSpeak: Adventures - YouTube

And here are the Wildstar Flicks that they have released in order. I'm also including the original trailer:

DEBUT TRAILER
    WildStar Official Trailer - YouTube

PROTOSTAR HOUSING INITIATIVE
    WildStar Flick: Protostar Announces Nexus Housing Initiative - YouTube

MEET THE EXILES
    WildStar Flick: Meet the Exiles - YouTube

MEET THE DOMINION
    WildStar Flick: Meet the Dominion - YouTube

PATHS
    WildStar Flick: Paths - YouTube

DIRTY LITTLE SECRETS
    WildStar Flick: Dirty Little Secrets - YouTube

CLASSES
    WildStar Flick: Classes - YouTube

ADVENTURES
    WildStar Flick: Adventures - YouTube

So that's all I've got at the moment for the first post. If you're interested about the game feel free to post about it. Got any questions? I'll see if I can dig things up to answer them for you. If you're already interested in the game then I'd like to hear your thoughts on it and what you plan on doing once it releases.

I refuse to play it until they Find a different publisher , I will not play anything having anything to do with ncsoft. I've been burned by them for the last time.

Quote Originally Posted by Amaranth View Post
    I refuse to play it until they Find a different publisher , I will not play anything having anything to do with ncsoft. I've been burned by them for the last time.
    NCsoft is a publisher, they have nothing to do with the actual development of the game. As opposed to other NCsoft games, Carbine is backed by a bunch of industry veterans who worked on other MMOs as well as the golden age of vanilla/BC WoW. I have faith in these developers.

As far as I know, NCsoft just published a bunch of sub-par MMOs. I don't know if they involve themselves in the development process at all. It's not like we're talking about EA.

From what I've watched in game play videos, it doesn't really interest me at all. To me it's like they crammed Pre-Burning Crusade WoW into a Sci-Fi Guild Wars universe. Not saying this is going to be a bad game but NCsoft does not have a good track record when it comes to these things. I'll keep in open mind and keep checking back on this game to see if there's any cool features but so far it's just not doing it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nintendorox! View Post
    From what I've watched in game play videos, it doesn't really interest me at all. To me it's like they crammed Pre-Burning Crusade WoW into a Sci-Fi Guild Wars universe. Not saying this is going to be a bad game but NCsoft does not have a good track record when it comes to these things. I'll keep in open mind and keep checking back on this game to see if there's any cool features but so far it's just not doing it for me.
    I wholly agree with the whole "NCsoft does not have a good track record" argument people keep bringing up, but like I said in my previous post they are just the publishers. They have little to no say in the actual development of Wildstar. Also considering the level of community interaction that Carbine is involved with and their continued dedication to reveal their thought process behind their decision leads me to believe that their design philosophy is much better than any other MMO devs out there. Of course this is purely conjecture and we'll have to wait and see how Carbine handles themselves post-release. I stopped playing WoW a few years back and I've been looking for an MMO to take its place for a long time, and so far this is the only MMO that I've taken a liking to in terms of what it offers.

Also as for it being a pre-BC WoW in a sci-fi universe, you're off the mark on that one. While the Carbine dev team does feature some former blizzard devs who worked on vanilla & BC WoW, the game itself stands out by having a large host of new features to the game to keep it interesting. If you ever get interested I linked a bunch of videos in the OP that go into detail about some of the unique features that Wildstar is offering. To name a few: housing, adventures, paths & layered content.

Also I really should say this again just to stress it: NCsoft is just the publisher. Their track record is only determined by the individual successes and failures of the games that they publish. I have yet to hear of stories where NCsoft get in the way of development processes. Anyone hating on NCsoft should instead look towards the developers who made the games rather than the publisher.

I looked up some information about NCsoft and I will say that they're handling of login services and customer support seems to be really shoddy. I'll still support this game because I strongly believe Carbine has a great design philosophy going on with this game.

Then again I've also had horrible experiences with Blizzard, who in the past used to be a really strong company.
    Last edited by Nihlus; 02-Mar-2014 at 04:10. Reason: Merging posts

No, carbine is a subsidiary of ncsoft, and ncsoft will never get a dime of my money again until they sell the rights to my beloved City of Heroes so someone can bring back my paragon city. Odds are they will find any way they can to ruin carbine and the poor little underdog people know as Wildstar.