Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: exotic animals as pets

Default exotic animals as pets

What are your opinions on exotic animals as pets? I'm talking about monkeys, tigers, and any other animals that are qualified as exotic and require a permit.

My opinion is that most animals that are wild, shouldn't ever be kept as pets (even though they may seem very cute and tempting to keep as pets). I know someone who owned a monkey once, but I heard when they turn adults, they can turn on you easily.

I believe you're right diaperedbabygirl. I've heard many stories of monkeys growing up and becoming vicious. They also smell like you wouldn't believe. I'm a strong believer that animals should live in their natural habitat, or at least, in the wild. I think there are certain species that are being saved because countries like the U.S. have created refuges for them. Some rhinoes have been hunted into near extinction, and so if we don't build refuges for them, they will disappear from the earth. Man's stupidity makes me sad.

Animals should live in the wild. These are wild animals, y'know?

But, who knows, maybe this may be the start of the domestic wild animal? I hope not, but that's how we got house cats and dogs, isn't it?

It makes me sad when I go to zoos sometimes. I went to the Washington Zoo, and there was a sloth bear (something like it) just pacing up and down, with overgrown claws. It was very disturbing.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I believe you're right diaperedbabygirl. I've heard many stories of monkeys growing up and becoming vicious. They also smell like you wouldn't believe. I'm a strong believer that animals should live in their natural habitat, or at least, in the wild. I think there are certain species that are being saved because countries like the U.S. have created refuges for them. Some rhinoes have been hunted into near extinction, and so if we don't build refuges for them, they will disappear from the earth. Man's stupidity makes me sad.
    Yea, I hate to hear about them hunting down and killing poor animals, this is why so many species are turning endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Animals should live in the wild. These are wild animals, y'know?

But, who knows, maybe this may be the start of the domestic wild animal? I hope not, but that's how we got house cats and dogs, isn't it?

It makes me sad when I go to zoos sometimes. I went to the Washington Zoo, and there was a sloth bear (something like it) just pacing up and down, with overgrown claws. It was very disturbing.
    I never heard of a sloth bear...maybe you're talking about a sloth? Those are known to have long claws. But I hate to see animals living in cages like that. Yet in some ways, it's ok for certain species to be in captivity sort of, if they're endangered species. Yet in captivity animals don't live as long I heard.

I'm perfectly alright with exotic animals as pets as long as several conditions are met:

1) The animal is unable to live or function on their own in the wilderness any longer (i.e., due to an injury or birth defect that would otherwise keep them from fending for themselves);

2) Local, state, and federal regulations are met before doing so to ensure that someone actually can have the exotic animal as a pet, or to ensure they've gone through the proper legal procedures to care for one;

3) The owner has been certified to have advanced knowledge of the proper care, feeding, and treatment of the animal.

I don't really care. There will be one less species of fatass rhinos, big whoop. If I'm hungry, and it's me and a rhino, I'll eat him, even if he's the last rhino on earth.

Countdown

I'm okay with it, as long as the animal doesn't injure or kill anyone. Then it becomes a problem. If the owner can properly take care of the exotic animal, then by all means, take is as a pet.

Depends on the pet, I suppose. One of my good friends has a pet python. Her name is "Crush" and while she was a baby when he got her, she is almost 2m long now 'n quite large...she has upgraded from eating mice to eating...umm...larger creatures (I won't let him tell me what he feeds her, 'cause I really really REALLY do NOT wanna know!)! I personally wouldn't want a snake, although I've often thought I'd like a tiger...I just couldn't possibly care for one the way it would require.

Quote Originally Posted by Abigail View Post
    I don't really care. There will be one less species of fat ass rhinos, big whoop. If I'm hungry, and it's me and a rhino, I'll eat him, even if he's the last rhino on earth.
    This coming from someone against abortion O.o weird. IMHO.

Eh but I;m the same way I'd eat the endangered animal. They are quite a delicious treat.

But anyway I have a pet cow. :P And geese and some Barbados and pet chickens does that count.

I want to get a fox as a pet.(Is a bitch though and requires a good bit of land((Which I have.))) They are very sly and cunning but if taken proper care of and raised from birth they are not as vicious as a wild adult one. Although the ones that I can legally get have problems because of inbreeding and other issues.

I agree with Rance about knowing the proper ways to take care of the animal. And seeing as how I want a fruit bat when I have a house of my own I want to learn as much as I can about them before getting one.