Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deciding to get a new car

Default Deciding to get a new car

Well I recently started thinking I love my mustang is getting up there in years (22 to be exact) its time for something newer. I have decided o. The 2014 Dodge Challenger. But what I cant decide is do I get the v6 automatic, or the 5.7 hemi 6 speed manual challenger R/T. In one hand im giving up a v8 5 speed mustang on the other the v6 has equal if not a hair less power. The part that really has me hung up is the transmission. Can I really bring my self to get an automatic muscle car? So I would like advice on that.

This is a ridiculously limited amount of information to give advice on.

What does the monthly breakdown of your bills look like? How flush with cash are you that you're not considering cheaper and used alternatives?

I would go manual trans but thats me. I had a subaru forester that I traded for a ford f150 cause I needed towing power and I miss my 5 speed. alot actually

Quote Originally Posted by w0lfpack91 View Post
    Well I recently started thinking I love my mustang is getting up there in years (22 to be exact) its time for something newer. I have decided o. The 2014 Dodge Challenger. But what I cant decide is do I get the v6 automatic, or the 5.7 hemi 6 speed manual challenger R/T. In one hand im giving up a v8 5 speed mustang on the other the v6 has equal if not a hair less power. The part that really has me hung up is the transmission. Can I really bring my self to get an automatic muscle car? So I would like advice on that.
    I think the most important part would be a test-ride.... go to a dealer and take both for a spin.
    Honestly, nothing will give you a better deciding factor than personally having tested each car on your list.

Now personally, I would rather NOT go with a automatic transmission. Frankly speaking, it does puzzle me why anyone would get a muscle car and then go with an automatic transmission.
    Isn't the ability to manually shift gears the old fashioned way a big appeal to anyone who loves cars, motors, etc? to any gear head?

Don't get me wrong, I curse my manual transmission about every single time I sit in one of those freak-traffic-jams where you'll stop&go every few seconds... after two hours your foot wants to commit suicide.
    Automatic transmission has its merits. But it isn't a lot of fun, and it certainly doesn't give me the amount of control I'd love.

Well, certainly modern double-clutch automatic transmissions with flappy paddle style shifters is neat.. and can be really satisfying to use - the shifting becomes incredibly fast once you've got the hang of it.
    But aside from those things, standard automatic is just plain boring.

it deprives you from the pure pleasure of revving up the (warm) motor to it's higher end RPM range and doing all sorts of fun starting with first gear

Also what you really should keep in mind and see for yourself is if you can actually get on common terms with the newer dodge and mustangs interior.
    Personally, I can't. Way too much plastic... to many lights and stuff.
    For me the classic old mustangs or an old challenger: any day over any of the new models.

Give your old car some TLC... don't give it away, you'll hate yourself in 10 years.

And last but really not least: economics...
    Unless you're so well off financially that you simply don't care, I'd take a close look at the figures.
    meaning, how many kilometers (miles) do you do per year on an average take...
    how do you drive? (mostly city roads or long distance)...
    How's the fuel-economy... trust me: 1l / more or less per 100km will make a difference on 50'000+ km per year.
    How's insurance, etc...
    pricing for the usual suspects (break parts, filters, etc...).

Last but not least: is it going to be your only car or is it your fun-ride?
    Personally if it's a fun ride, the economics are really second-rate interests at best... if you take it for a spin on the weekends, or stuff like that. Basically when you know that you'll only make low mile-numbers per year and if it's not your main car, then its more important that you ENJOY the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by AEsahaettr View Post
    This is a ridiculously limited amount of information to give advice on.

What does the monthly breakdown of your bills look like? How flush with cash are you that you're not considering cheaper and used alternatives?
    i have already got a quote on the most expensive option of the two for both loan and insurance and while it puts a dent in my free spending money, doesn't affect my day to day at all and even still i will still have around 150-200 extra a month for emergencys plus my savings if stuff gets tight. so i have the extra money to afford both im just at a loss over economy Vs power i am not good at predicting future economys. it is a car i intend to keep the rest of my life as it will be my first New car.

i just want to hear what other people will say on the matter of the Automatic V6 vs. the Hemi V8 and manual. pros and cons i may be too blind and prejudice to see. i am a very "american" point of veiw on cars, the bigger the better so i am inclined to the larger of the two options but i would still like to consider even that which i can not see on my own.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by EPO1 View Post
    Give your old car some TLC... don't give it away, you'll hate yourself in 10 years.
    its not so much im giving it away im retireing it to a younger generation. it needs a motor rebuild and the tranny needs rebuilt as well, The Syncros are almost gone. i am parking it aside and it will be my brothers when he comes of age, HE will rebuild it him self over the years (with my Help) but he wants it so He will pay for it. i set him up on an allowance system allowing him to earn a total of $150 a week to go twords Car Parts to fix it. my goal is that by the time he's old enough to drive it, he will have a sense of pride and caution to go with it. that car will do 120 in 3rd gear and still has 2 more to go so its fast. i can hope that his time building it and planning it will temper his foot and allow him to respect it and what it can do.

- - - Updated - - -

Last but not least: is it going to be your only car or is it your fun-ride?
    Personally if it's a fun ride, the economics are really second-rate interests at best... if you take it for a spin on the weekends, or stuff like that. Basically when you know that you'll only make low mile-numbers per year and if it's not your main car, then its more important that you ENJOY the ride.
    um it will be a daily driver for spring and summer only. it will never see a winter day unless there is NO other option.

i still have an old beater truck for the bad months.

i have already got a quote on the most expensive option of the two for both loan and insurance and while it puts a dent in my free spending money, doesn't affect my day to day at all and even still i will still have around 150-200 extra a month for emergencys plus my savings if stuff gets tight. so i have the extra money to afford both im just at a loss over economy Vs power i am not good at predicting future economys. it is a car i intend to keep the rest of my life as it will be my first New car.

i just want to hear what other people will say on the matter of the Automatic V6 vs. the Hemi V8 and manual. pros and cons i may be too blind and prejudice to see. i am a very "american" point of veiw on cars, the bigger the better so i am inclined to the larger of the two options but i would still like to consider even that which i can not see on my own.
    In 16 years "on the road" with both motorcycles and cars, I have NEVER leased or "financed" a car / motorcycle... not once. And I'll never do.
    Being able to AFFORD it means you can BUY it. (as in fully paid).

There's a lot of cars I'd like to ride - but especially at 22 - I'd be very very cautious about basically getting in debt (owning money to a financial institution), especially for a car.
    My rule always has been: if I can't afford it, I don't buy it.

Personally I have a huge dislike for todays way of financing everything with monthly installments so that every joe and jill can "afford" everything.
    200 Extra? as in 200$ ? "extra"? sorry - but you will regret having just 200 "extra" when you finally need money for something important.

I'm not responsible for your decisions... I'm just saying that you venture down a path that has a lot of hidden problems.

Question yourself: do you NEED the most expensive edition out there?? WHY?
    Make the math: HOW much do you pay extra for financing the car (there's no such thing as a 0% leasing or financing without any interest... either you pay fees, or you pay premium on the actual product, where as with a full payment you'd probably get a damn high reduction on the actual price - but in business, flip it as you want, financing ALWAYS comes at a cost (interest) and it's never small.... a good salesmen will make you believe that it's zip.... but it never is.
    Also strictly make the math, how many miles a year do you make on an average... how long is the car going to last (under best conditions)... KNOW that it looses approx. 15-20% resale value the VERY moment you drive it off the sales-yard.
    HOW Long are you going to pay the monthly installments... I've seen it happen one time to many that basically the car was "worn" out before the payment was over.
    Or you're forced into some kind of early "upgrade" (usually at some cost) to avoid this.
    Calculate HOW LONG it would take you to save the money for such a car on your own, so you could make a full payment. IF you don't believe you could possible save the money, then really DO NOT get the financing...
    IF you can save the money, save it, buy the dream car later as soon as you can afford it.

Also worth looking into: used market, for almost-new, demo / show cars, etc... if you know how to look for them, you can get "your" car for prices you wouldn't believe in mint condition with only a few miles, but often easily 25-50% off from what you'd pay for a brand new one.

The basically only exception for a leasing is if you can lease it on your company's name and thus make the whole thing completely deductible from your tax numbers... but even then, it can be a close call.

I KNOW how TEMPTING it can be for any gearhead to get a damn nice ride.... but really be sensible here.

Also strictly make the math, how many miles a year do you make on an average... how long is the car going to last (under best conditions)...
    im a Mechanic i can keep it going for the remainder of the time its on the planet for 1/4 of what it would cost the common man.

it wont be financed in the traditional sense. i will have full paid cash in hand when i go to the dealer. it will be loaned through a city workers Credit union. at extremly low intrest rate (atleast for my credit)

#2 it goes twords building my credit back up the payment will come out automaticly as in i will never see it.

#3 the most expensive edition is over $50,000 the one i am looking at is almost half that.

#4 I never intend to sell it so resale value is not even factored in at this point or any point ever.

i also have a savings account with a hair over $200,000 while yes i can just pay cash but at the moment building up credit is more important. if it ever gets to the point where i need intervention i have the cash to pay it off out right and still recover financially.

i have the finances worked out COMPLETELY. i just need advice on what would be the better deal down thee road.

#4 I never intend to sell it so resale value is not even factored in at this point or any point ever.
    I don't entirely agree with this. While it may not matter in the sense of the cycle of buying and selling a vehicle for your primary transportation, valuation of assets is important for long-term financial planning any time you're spending a significant amount of money. You may not be planning to sell it but there's inherent value of gaining assets when you turn in cash.

That said, if you're getting a vehicle for modding, which it seems you are, it's going to keep a good degree of value. Not to the traditional used car market perhaps but it's going to continue to be worth a fair amount of money nonetheless.

- - - Updated - - -

In 16 years "on the road" with both motorcycles and cars, I have NEVER leased or "financed" a car / motorcycle... not once. And I'll never do.
    Being able to AFFORD it means you can BUY it. (as in fully paid).
    I disagree. At no point in my life have I ever had enough money to purchase a car. Yet without a car I'd never have been able to get a job as I'd have no way of getting to or from it. Financing is literally the best method of buying a car for the vast majority of people.

In my opinion the six speed manual with the V8 would be the more entertaining option, the challenger is a nice reincarnation of the classic, that has a tastefully done interior and exterior. I would say go for the one that you want, I am against any automatic transmission no matter how well done (With exceptions being those who are disabled and such). I say if you can afford it, go ahead and do it The snarl of that v8 going through the gears is lovely

If it was me I would go with the V8 with a manual. Auto transmissions irritate me as the never shift when I want (although I've only driven about 2 different vehicles with autos vs 10 plus with manual).