Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pink/blue plastic-backed Pampers

Default Pink/blue plastic-backed Pampers

Awhile back I was going through some stuff in the garage and found an old stash of diapers in a box that I had forgotten about. I found a box of Pampers that were pink plastic backed, with little designs on them. The box is in rough shape, but there are three diapers in there yet that seem fine. Just wondering if anyone remembers these, and what years they were made? I kind of remember the "pink for girls, blue for boys" designs, but don't think they were around for very long?

Most likely mid to late nineties, I sort of remember them turning unisex around 98 or 99.

Pampersboy827

Yeah I've never really seen a lot of diapers from this era since this is when I was trying not to go poo poo or pee in my pants! (Kindergarten haha) hahaha

I believe they were from the late 80's or early 90's when pampers and huggies both made gender specific diapers for a few years

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the gender-specific Pampers were gone by the latter half of the 90's. I was in college at the time, and don't recall seeing them in stores. The Ultra Pampers for Girls and Pampers Phases for Her were some of my favorite diapers in the late 80's and early 90's, though. I was a bit of a diaper-sissy.

A couple of years ago, Pampers put out limited edition gender-specific diapers with designs by Cynthia Rowley (an apparently famous designer who I'd never heard of before). Unfortunately, these were only available through size 4, as I recall. They pop up on eBay every now and then, but are too small for even the most die-hard baby diaper users to bother with.

☺️ That sure brings back memories. I remember watching the American baby TV show, that was one of the commercials from about I would say 1987 through 1990 or so. Enjoy your diapers, love mommy

it seams like diaper companies are always coming up with a new gimmick to get people to buy their diapers
    like the Huggies jeans diapers or other limited time designs

Quote Originally Posted by wetatnight View Post
    I believe they were from the late 80's or early 90's when pampers and huggies both made gender specific diapers for a few years

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure the gender-specific Pampers were gone by the latter half of the 90's.
    I copied the below sentence from Pampers Wikipedia page. I appreciate that Wikipedia is not the most reliable of sources but large corporations normally employ people to make sure any media information is correct at all times. It does not give a specific date, but I remember that the switch back to unisex was fairly late, about 1997. Well It does not really matter, but they are fondly missed nonetheless.

The early 1990s also saw the introduction of gender-specific diapers in the Pampers brand; the product returned to unisex diapers towards the end of the decade.

Quote Originally Posted by DexxKizwizard View Post
    I copied the below sentence from Pampers Wikipedia page. I appreciate that Wikipedia is not the most reliable of sources but large corporations normally employ people to make sure any media information is correct at all times. It does not give a specific date, but I remember that the switch back to unisex was fairly late, about 1997. Well It does not really matter, but they are fondly missed nonetheless.
    Yeah, I saw that also. It may well have varied by market, though. For instance, Huggies are still gender-specific in Mexico and other Central and South American countries. I can only say that, by sometime '95-ish, my beloved girls Pampers were nowhere to be found in the stores I frequented.