Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's a good diaper to take on and off?

Default What's a good diaper to take on and off?

I've been wondering about this and I'd like to know if anyone has any input. When I wear diapers, I like to wear diapers that are larger, thicker, and plastic backed. I also don't particularly like briefs, but do sometimes wear them.

However, I don't always go in a diaper when I'm wearing it, for various reasons. Sometimes I'm wearing one to bed and don't plan to shower in the morning (I have eczema so showering isn't an every day thing). Sometimes I'm going to go out later and don't want to have to deal with cleanup. Maybe I'm making dinner and don't want my diaper to get saggy. Etc. So in these situations I usually just wear my diaper without using it. When I'm done I'll take it off and slip it under my bed for later.

The problem is that once you take a diaper off, it will never ever fit as snug as when you first put it on. Not even close. Briefs (pull-ups) are good in this regard but I'll be honest that I don't really like them- they're always thin and cloth-backed. Does anyone know a diaper that's good for taking on and off that isn't a typical pull-up? If not, what's the best pull-up out there that I can buy?

There are a couple possibles.

The first is Tena Super. The tapes on them are quite incredible - you can actually take them off and refasten them hours later if you wish to. I've been able to remove them and put them back on again. They're also pretty thick too; not Abena-level, but several cuts above any pull-up brand. The only downside is that they're cloth-backed, so if you're hard and fast about plastic-backed, this won't work.

The other would be a diaper with a two-stage tape system, like Tranquility ATN or Abena M4/L4s. The tape is in two "stages": there's a sticky blue tab with the actual tape on top. The first time you do up the diaper, you'll push down the blue tab. Then, you can actually unpeel the tape on top, and leave the blue tab where it is, but re-stick the tape. So you could pull down the diaper, put it on again later, and adjust the fit using the tape on top. The two brands I named are both plastic-backed too.

I hope one of those works for you!

I use diapers in much the same way, +1 Tena. I've only ever used Tena Slip Maxi and ultima so don't really perceptive to compare but I'm able to fasten and peal the tabs for about 3 nights before they lose their sticky or the tabs brake away.

(I have eczema so showering isn't an every day thing)

First get a spray bottle and add a little bleach and spray your self down every bath. wait a couple minutes then rinse.

After the shower pat down damp but not dry and use a good Cetaphil moisturizer. Apply a moisturizer within 3 minutes after bathing to “lock in” moisture.

Eczema bleach bath: Can it improve my symptoms? - Mayo Clinic

Eczema patients need frequent bathing, not just to clean off bacteria but to rehydrate their parched epidermis. many of us carry Staph aureus on our skin

Quote Originally Posted by AEsahaettr View Post
    I've been wondering about this and I'd like to know if anyone has any input. When I wear diapers, I like to wear diapers that are larger, thicker, and plastic backed. I also don't particularly like briefs, but do sometimes wear them.

However, I don't always go in a diaper when I'm wearing it, for various reasons. Sometimes I'm wearing one to bed and don't plan to shower in the morning (I have eczema so showering isn't an every day thing). Sometimes I'm going to go out later and don't want to have to deal with cleanup. Maybe I'm making dinner and don't want my diaper to get saggy. Etc. So in these situations I usually just wear my diaper without using it. When I'm done I'll take it off and slip it under my bed for later.

The problem is that once you take a diaper off, it will never ever fit as snug as when you first put it on. Not even close. Briefs (pull-ups) are good in this regard but I'll be honest that I don't really like them- they're always thin and cloth-backed. Does anyone know a diaper that's good for taking on and off that isn't a typical pull-up? If not, what's the best pull-up out there that I can buy?
    Have you tried buying some tape, and, when the tapes on the diaper fail, retaping it with the external tape?
    A reel of tape is much cheaper than additional diapers.
    You can also buy certain kinds of tape (e.g: carpenter's tape) which tear very easily when pulled the right way, so even a taped diaper is easy to remove.
    This also means you don't have to choose between a good diaper, and a diaper that has reusable tapes. You can have a good diaper with external tape for refastening.

Have you considered cloth diapers? While they may feel odd, they're made to be washable / reusable, and generally use pins or fasteners, not tapes.

Personally, if I was in your position, I'd be inclined to look into possible treatments for the eczema.
    Not being able to shower every day sounds quite inconvenient, even if you aren't padded. What if you have a row of hot days?
    Do you suffer through not being able to shower, or do you shower but suffer through the eczema?
    It might be worth seeing a dermatologist, if you haven't already. I'm guessing you have already.

Any diaper with a plastic front tape landing zone is much easier to untape and retape multiple times. Consider such diapers as the new Wellness Superio Signature and Tena Slip Maxi.

Any plastic-backed diaper with double tapes but no plastic front landing panel will have a very limited retaking ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
    The other would be a diaper with a two-stage tape system, like Tranquility ATN or Abena M4/L4s. The tape is in two "stages": there's a sticky blue tab with the actual tape on top. The first time you do up the diaper, you'll push down the blue tab.
    I've been using these as my "special" diapers for years, I know exactly what you're talking about with the blue tabs, and I had no idea they could be retaped. Awesome!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by anned View Post
    After the shower pat down damp but not dry and use a good Cetaphil moisturizer. Apply a moisturizer within 3 minutes after bathing to “lock in” moisture.
    I have a similar routine. The bigger issue is that after wearing a wet diaper for a few hours, I'm not going to feel clean without a long, hot shower.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Moo View Post
    Have you tried buying some tape, and, when the tapes on the diaper fail, retaping it with the external tape?
    A reel of tape is much cheaper than additional diapers.
    You can also buy certain kinds of tape (e.g: carpenter's tape) which tear very easily when pulled the right way, so even a taped diaper is easy to remove.
    This also means you don't have to choose between a good diaper, and a diaper that has reusable tapes. You can have a good diaper with external tape for refastening.
    The issue actually isn't my waist. It's around my legs where it's no longer tight after I take a diaper off and later put it back on.

Have you considered cloth diapers? While they may feel odd, they're made to be washable / reusable, and generally use pins or fasteners, not tapes.
    That's on a list of things I want to do eventually but need the money for. I don't wear often enough to justify the investment at this point in time.

Personally, if I was in your position, I'd be inclined to look into possible treatments for the eczema.
    Not being able to shower every day sounds quite inconvenient, even if you aren't padded. What if you have a row of hot days?
    Do you suffer through not being able to shower, or do you shower but suffer through the eczema?
    It might be worth seeing a dermatologist, if you haven't already. I'm guessing you have already.
    I've seen a regular doctor and will see a dermatologist at some point. The problem is that the only really good treatment that I can't get on my own is topical corticosteroids which are really only to control severe breakouts (you can't use them habitually). The only alternative to that is topical creams, behavior and dietary changes.

The "good" news is I can shower as much as I want if it's cold. The problem with that is that I don't feel like a 3-5 minute cold quickie shower gets me clean again after sleeping in a wet diaper for 8 hours. It probably does but I still feel icky.

You could just do what I do, re-tape the diaper with duct tape. I personally like to use the avengers tape my Walmart carries. Safety pins could also work.

Sorry to hear about your eczema, by the way. That must suck. :/

Sometimes I get lucky with Bambino diapers. I can side the diaper down and pull it back up with no problems. It does get loose around my waist at the top of the diaper but the bottom of the diaper hold quite good. Yes duct tape does work too. Also the plastic 3M film tapes work really well if you want a snug tight fit.

Cherub

When using diapers that have the blue & white refastenable tape tabs and I will be wearing the diaper again here is what I do most of the time.

I will diaper up as normal, putting the tapes where they need to be to get a good fit. Then when I take the diaper off, I will peel the white tape tab off leaving the blue tape tab on the plastic backing. OF course I fold the white tape tab back onto the landing area (where it was when the diaper was opened the very first time).

Now here's my little trick. I already know the blue tape tabs are in the perfect place for me to get a good fit. I will lay the diaper flat. Get a strip of duct tape and place it over top of each of the blue tape tabs. In effect, this will give the white tape tabs a landing area that will have been reinforced by the duct tape. You can fasten and remove the tape tabs as often as you want without worrying about tearing the plastic backing. Once the tabs no longer stick, just cut them off and use a small piece of tape in its place.

This way, you can re-wear the diaper as much as you want.