Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car trip tips?

Default Car trip tips?

I'm sorry if this is a repeat, but I've been browsing the forums and can't find an answer to a driving question!

In a few weeks I'll be driving 3 hours alone to another town, boring drive, not clean stops and last time I went I ended up with wet pants by the time I got to my destination.

Hence! I'm going to wear one of my night nappies. So I was just wondering if plastic pants and compression shorts would help avoid leaks? Or just plastic pants? I'm a girl so worried bout it coming out leg holes.

Any advice appreciated

Unless you have bad diapers or wet an awful lot I wouldn't worry about leaks on a 3 hour drive. 3 hours isnt that long and is probably 1-2 wettings.

I've never had problems with leaks but plastic pants probably would get the job done if you are really worried about it.

3 hour drive.. a night diaper should do fine. Longer i would wear plastic pants over a try just in case. Bloomer style ones seams to work best when sitting IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Orcaway View Post
    Unless you have bad diapers or wet an awful lot I wouldn't worry about leaks on a 3 hour drive. 3 hours isnt that long and is probably 1-2 wettings.
    That depends entirely on fluid consumption really. I could need to use the bathroom between 0 and 3 times in a 3 hour period depending on what and how much of it I drank around that time.

As a male, I've leaked out the leg holes every single time I've tried to wet in the car (luckly I have leather seats). It's basically a perfect storm of sitting at the worst possible angle combined with pressure against the part of the diaper that's being stressed out the most. I have no idea how the seating angle would work with female anatomy, but I'd definitely at least put a towel on the seat. Compression shorts would be a definite no, and plastic pants (the further down the legs they went the better) would be a maybe. The reason being that I'd want to keep the bulk to a minimum to keep the car ride as comfortable as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by irnub View Post
    That depends entirely on fluid consumption really. I could need to use the bathroom between 0 and 3 times in a 3 hour period depending on what and how much of it I drank around that time.

As a male, I've leaked out the leg holes every single time I've tried to wet in the car (luckly I have leather seats). It's basically a perfect storm of sitting at the worst possible angle combined with pressure against the part of the diaper that's being stressed out the most. I have no idea how the seating angle would work with female anatomy, but I'd definitely at least put a towel on the seat. Compression shorts would be a definite no, and plastic pants (the further down the legs they went the better) would be a maybe. The reason being that I'd want to keep the bulk to a minimum to keep the car ride as comfortable as possible.
    I agree with this totally.

One thing I've found as a guy is that it's very difficult to wet while driving because my leg is tense from pressing the pedal. I don't know if it's much different for a girl. If you can cruise control or wet at a stop light, it will probably be easier for you. Unless I'm just not relaxed in general and need to learn to let it go while driving. Who knows.

I don't think I've ever managed to wet while the car is moving. My theory is that the necessary concentration and concern for maintaining full control is inhibiting, rather than the physical posture, but whatever the reason I don't think the previous poster and I are alone in this. It would be really interesting to know whether girls get on better with wetting at the wheel as they usually wet more freely anyway. There's always the option to pull over and stop the engine while you wet, which should bypass any difficulties other than the effect of the seating position on the diaper performance.

I agree about it being a leak-prone position although in three hours you're not going to have more than a few average wettings which any decent padding should absorb without leaks. Bloomers would direct the leaks onto the floor if you're worried about the upholstery! Watch out for anything that will restrict your blood circulation though - tight leg elastics are not a good idea if you are sitting in one position for a long time.

Here in the UK our professional drivers' rules require every driver to take a break after a maximum of 4.5 hours and that is the longest I have ever driven non-stop, even when not driving under the rules. If only I could wet while on the move, padding would be a great help for those long stints, possibly more so for a girl who might have to use the bathroom more often anyway. As I have to pull over before I can let go in my diaper, in reality there's not quite the same level of advantage.

Good luck with your trip anyway, if nothing else it's a great excuse to pad up!

while driving long distances, like to my mom's place (5 hours) I like to keep my mouth busy, drinks, sunflower seeds, tough beef jerky.
    I'm usually using an Abena L4 whilst driving, and find I have to change by hour 3, though I usually stop every other hour to stretch my legs for 10 minutes or so. I have found posture is quite important. while driving, my bladder tends to over fill and flood, unlike whilst standing, when it is an automatic drip

Can you get a bambino Bellissimo? If so, those will hold up all day with no leaks and you won't have to wear compression shorts or plastic pants.

Quote Originally Posted by beeeblebum View Post
    I'm sorry if this is a repeat, but I've been browsing the forums and can't find an
    answer to a driving question!

In a few weeks I'll be driving 3 hours alone to another town, boring drive, not clean stops and last time I went I ended up with wet pants by the time I got to my destination.

Hence! I'm going to wear one of my night nappies. So I was just wondering if plastic pants and compression shorts would help avoid leaks? Or just plastic pants? I'm a girl so worried bout it coming out leg holes.

Any advice appreciated
    - - - Updated - - -

My OAB is so weak I can pee while driving, running almost anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Paxe View Post
    I don't think I've ever managed to wet while the car is moving. My theory is that the necessary concentration and concern for maintaining full control is inhibiting, rather than the physical posture, but whatever the reason I don't think the previous poster and I are alone in this. It would be really interesting to know whether girls get on better with wetting at the wheel as they usually wet more freely anyway. There's always the option to pull over and stop the engine while you wet, which should bypass any difficulties other than the effect of the seating position on the diaper performance.

I agree about it being a leak-prone position although in three hours you're not going to have more than a few average wettings which any decent padding should absorb without leaks. Bloomers would direct the leaks onto the floor if you're worried about the upholstery! Watch out for anything that will restrict your blood circulation though - tight leg elastics are not a good idea if you are sitting in one position for a long time.

Here in the UK our professional drivers' rules require every driver to take a break after a maximum of 4.5 hours and that is the longest I have ever driven non-stop, even when not driving under the rules. If only I could wet while on the move, padding would be a great help for those long stints, possibly more so for a girl who might have to use the bathroom more often anyway. As I have to pull over before I can let go in my diaper, in reality there's not quite the same level of advantage.

Good luck with your trip anyway, if nothing else it's a great excuse to pad up!

I think you'd be safe wearing a diaper and a pair of plastic pants. The diaper might be enough to take care of everything in a 3 hour drive, but just to play it safe; I'd still wear the plastic pants. Because you'll be in a sitting position, it's possible that the diaper might not be able to absorb properly and leak. So I'd recommend wearing the plastic pants as a "just in case".

For a trip like that my Abena Abriflex Premium 3 have worked just fine all by themselves. No plastic pants or booster needed. I love driving in a warm, wet and bulky diaper!