Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: affordable care cost

marquis

Default affordable care cost

Hello folks I am just wondering if any ones health insurance costs have been lowered since the inception of the aca. Mine have risen to almost 100.00 more a month than what I was previously paying and now have a deductible that has quadrupled. I personally know of only one person out of hundreds whose monthly cost has decreased but that also came with a sharply increased deductible. I also live in n.y. which is one of the states where all the politicians were claiming costs would lower, so is there anyone out there whose cost is now lower?

I don't understand why you would have to pay more. Don't you have your current health insurance or did your business get rid of theirs so all their employers could sign up for ACA?

marquis

the plan we had is no longer available and the only plan remotely close was the one I chose

Quote Originally Posted by marquis View Post
    the plan we had is no longer available and the only plan remotely close was the one I chose
    You were lied to every one is needed to go on exchange's and yes it is going up .
    They needed 89% for it to work .

Quote Originally Posted by marquis View Post
    Why is it no longer available?

Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    Why is it no longer available?
    A lot of plans were modified or eliminated because they didn't offer adequate protection under the ACA. The ACA set a lot of regulations for minimum coverage per type of plan. You might have heard some bizarre statistics a few months back that 40M plans were being cancelled (or something along those lines) due to ACA regulations. Just about every plan in the country had to be tweaked in some way or another to become compliant.

Note that for all we know, OP's old plan was worth toilet paper.

But it worked for him and gave him what he believed he needed. His new plan is likely to have a whole bunch of things that he doesn't need but still has to pay for. That's what the main problem is.

Quote Originally Posted by foxkits View Post
    You were lied to every one is needed to go on exchange's and yes it is going up .
    They needed 89% for it to work .
    I'm not sure where you pulled that from. I kept my employer insurance, completely unchanged (barring *extremely* minor premium increases, which were not due to the ACA, but due to our rates staying flat for the past three years - I'm now paying about $2 more per week now than I was before). Almost everyone I know is still on their employer-provided insurance - the only people I know of who got insurance off the exchanges are those whose employers don't provide health insurance (exempted small business, or they are only part-time employees, etc), or those who already were purchasing their own. Most existing plans were tweaked or in my case even went unchanged as they already complied with the requirements of the ACA.

The main benefit most people are going to get from the ACA are group discounts, the same kind of discounts I get from having a BCBS employer-provided plan. Before the ACA, buying insurance on your own was extremely cost-prohibitive - no group discounts. Stifled small businesses - am I going to risk starting up my own business if I have to sink a significant portion of my income into health insurance? Keep in mind start-up businesses often take several years to turn a reliable, significant profit, too - that's one more unknown taken out of the equation.

State to state it is going to vary, of course, and some states are being ridiculously asinine about it, which is only going to serve to prohibit easy access and lower costs there.

Quote Originally Posted by incontinentGM24 View Post
    But it worked for him and gave him what he believed he needed.
    And that's the core of the problem. When you buy a cheap garbage plan and get sick, it's everyone else that winds up paying for it. "What I believe" I need is irrelevant, because when I get sick, everyone else is getting sacked with the burden. That's why our per capita health care costs are currently about three times that of any other developed nation, for the same standard of care.

My employer kept our coverage, co-pays and costs the same as last year due to our current provider setting a short deadline to resign. After that announcement they said that if the company can cut costs next year by pushing us out on Obamacare and eliminating company provided insurance they will even if it means cutting our hours as medical benefits have become their largest overhead expense. I think and hope the rules of Obamacare will not allow that.

BTW We pay $15.00 per week towards our $3000.00 deductible plan with preventative 100% paid and 80% up to $750 dental.

I pay $45 per week for Blue Cross/Blue Shield through the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program. $20 copay for primary care visits, coverage begins from the first dollar and there's a $5,000 annual out-of-pocket cap.

Lots of people don't think they should have to pay for health care "things they don't need" - right up until they really need them. None of us have a clue what health care things we're going to need tomorrow, because our health can go from absolutely perfect to completely fucked just like <that>, with no warning or reason.
    Last edited by polarbaby; 10-Feb-2014 at 16:22.