Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone afraid of the dark?

RainbowShy

Default Anyone afraid of the dark?

I was just curious to know how many of us fear the dark. My mind often plays tricks on me, and it causes my anxiety to rise. I get these ideas that something is going to pop out of the darkness. x_x I don't have any plug-ins to hold a night light, so I keep my laptop and TV on instead.

What about you guys? Are you afraid of the dark? Do you have a nightlight or something else to help with your fear?

I'm terrified of the dark and never sleep without a nightlight if I'm alone. The only time I sleep without one is when I go to conventions, because I am sharing a hotel room with three other people. But I find I don't need one then, anyway, because I feel safe having three other people in the room with me. At home, however, even though there are other people in the house, I'm alone in my room, and then I have to have a nightlight. I also sleep with two cats, both of whom alert me any time they hear footsteps outside my door, so they're like a back up alarm, heh.

(Sometimes, if the fear is really bad and I can't sleep, I use an app on my phone that plays a variety of noises designed to help you sleep. I usually go with something water-based, like rain or a waterfall or the ocean. I find it drowns out the usual "house noises" that can sound creepy in the dark and helps my mind get to a more relaxed locale. )

I am sometimes. :c It's usually after I've been looking up creepy stuff on the internet or watching a creepy show... I just get worked up. Sadly I don't have a nightlight, and I don't have cable for my T.V., and I don't want to run my laptop down at night so I don't really have anything to make the baddies go away! Except my plushies. If I surround myself with them it helps sometimes. c:

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KatieBear View Post
    (Sometimes, if the fear is really bad and I can't sleep, I use an app on my phone that plays a variety of noises designed to help you sleep. I usually go with something water-based, like rain or a waterfall or the ocean. I find it drowns out the usual "house noises" that can sound creepy in the dark and helps my mind get to a more relaxed locale. )
    I like that idea! I'm gonna do that next time...

Sometimes.

When I was a kid I was scared of the Borg from Star Trek assimilating me in the basement if I turned out the lights (I think I watched "The Best of Both Worlds" and had a "Borg Nightmare"). I was always afraid something was watching me that I couldn't see. And I used to get freaked out sometimes by low tree branches that looked like shadowy tentacles...
    I slept with a NIght Light until I was 5 or 6 I think, and I've always been a little edgy in the dark, but it's not like a phobia.

RainbowShy

Quote Originally Posted by KatieBear View Post
    I'm terrified of the dark and never sleep without a nightlight if I'm alone. The only time I sleep without one is when I go to conventions, because I am sharing a hotel room with three other people. But I find I don't need one then, anyway, because I feel safe having three other people in the room with me. At home, however, even though there are other people in the house, I'm alone in my room, and then I have to have a nightlight. I also sleep with two cats, both of whom alert me any time they hear footsteps outside my door, so they're like a back up alarm, heh.

That's usually how I am. At the anime con I go to, I stay in a hotel room with my parents. They usually turn the bathroom light on and crack the door some. Though, it's not because of me, but in case one of us has to get up during the night to go or to have a snack or something. I usually have the TV on all night too. I can't sleep without watching TV or having my laptop on. I got lucky last year because we got a suite. So, my parents got to have their own area and I had mine. I slept on the couch and kept on a small light in the room I was in that didn't bother them where they were.

Nope, haven't even wanted a nightlight since my early 20's, doing graveyards, and trying to sleep when everything is going on about me (I remember one week where the subdivision I was in decided to trim the trees, a week of hearing chainsaws, still gives me the willies after watching the Texas Chainsaw Massacres). I learned to much like the dark, after feeling like the main charactor from 'Insomnia' to the point, even though I haven't done shift work in, like 15 years, my bed cubby remains almost pitch black. even in the middle of the day. kinda comforting nowadays.

I was ruined as a little kid, living for several years with no electricity, aside from getting up and feeding the animals, and making the hike to school (5 mile walk to the bus stop, another 30 to the school, really and truly, and this was in the '80s) and going about with either a flashlight or starlight. I learned to like the night. Main exception is camping in bear country.

Well,

Not necessarily dark...more just no ability to see around...Having good awareness...

Ive stayed at my current gf apartment...no sleep for me...too much commotion and no way to see what's going on...

I've lived in the country, used to work security, just been ingrained in my head...

At home I have lots of cameras with motion detection and most are full third gen night vision so I can see very well...plus sensors in the ground for visitors, welcome or not...

Yes I'm paranoid...but also live alone in the sticks...my house burnt a few years back...no one noticed till I got back...

But, yes I've always been concerned of the unknown...and the dark expands it...

So, I feel it is an ingrained fear from our lower brain, similar to startling, and like...it's kept us safe when we aren't top of the food chain...which we aren't all the time...

Quote Originally Posted by Bartolome View Post
    Sometimes.

When I was a kid I was scared of the Borg from Star Trek assimilating me in the basement if I turned out the lights (I think I watched "The Best of Both Worlds" and had a "Borg Nightmare"). I was always afraid something was watching me that I couldn't see. And I used to get freaked out sometimes by low tree branches that looked like shadowy tentacles...
    I slept with a NIght Light until I was 5 or 6 I think, and I've always been a little edgy in the dark, but it's not like a phobia.
    I think the Borg were one of the scariest threats from all the Star Trek series.

As for me, I thrive in the dark because I'm a werewolf, as everyone knows. I love to hunt in the moonlight, waiting for some foolish soul who thinks it's enjoyable to go out for a night time stroll.

More seriously, when I was a college student, but during the summer, I used to go run through the woods late at night, on the prowl. It's incredibly exhilarating, sniffing the night air and wondering what else is out there with you. Are they also a predator? At night, I sleep like a log. I have a security system and a noisy dog, as well as a 9mm. i think I'm safe.

I'm a little bit scared of the dark, perhaps ''uncomfortable'' is a better word choice. I sleep with a nightlight. However, being outside in darkness doesn't bother me. Basically, if I'm inside and I can at least make out the profiles of the stuff around me, I'm okay.