Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Readiness for Death.

Error404

Default Readiness for Death.

Now, I'd like to preface this thread with saying the following:

I don't want any emoness in here, this is not a thread to rant nor a thread to say how bad your life is and why you want to die, it's simply here to discuss the following. I'd also like to try and avoid and religious theology. If I want that I'll just go read most ANY OTHER thread in Mature Topics.

Now, topic!

If you are genuinely happy and at peace, is it wrong to be ready for death at any moment? See, now, without putting on the whole sob story of my life, I generally think I am a very happy go lucky guy with a peaceful and loving demeanor, but should I die on the operating table tomorrow with a chance at coming back, I'd probably prefer they not revive me.

I can't say I understand why they wouldn't. Death has never scared me, be it however painful or painless it shall be for me. The prospect of a heaven or hell doesn't scare me either and the whole life after death thing to me is just a possibility, nothing more.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is:

Is it natural to be ready for death at such an early age?
    If you are happy and at peace, are you already ready for death?
    If so, do you know why?
    Does the prospect of death scare you or excite you?

Discuss.

You raised a number of interesting points however one thing confused me. You said:

but should I die on the operating table tomorrow with a chance at coming back, I'd probably prefer they not revive me.
    Does this mean that you would not want to e given life saving medical care? For example if you slipped into a coma and the only way keep you alive (and give you any chance of waking up) was to insert an feeding tube into your body - you would be opposed to it?

Does this extend to other death causing conditions? If you came down with cancer would you refuse chemo?

Error404

Quote Originally Posted by Tsendo View Post
    You raised a number of interesting points however one thing confused me. You said:

Does this mean that you would not want to e given life saving medical care? For example if you slipped into a coma and the only way keep you alive (and give you any chance of waking up) was to insert an feeding tube into your body - you would be opposed to it?

Does this extend to other death causing conditions? If you came down with cancer would you refuse chemo?
    Yeah, I probably would. Unless I had kids or a wife at the time, then yes I would. I just see it as what will be will be. If I came down with it now, I'd accept it and not fight it. I'd only fight it just because I'd rather not have my children/wife go through the pain of the loss.

You seem to have a faith in destiny that I cannot identify with.

On an unrelated note, you said that you would fight to stay alive if you had a wife or kids who depended on you for their happiness. Does this mean that your feeling of contentment towards death comes from not having strong enough ties to this world? If you somehow found something that you were able to care immensely about, does this mean that you would no longer be content to die?

Error404

You seem to have a faith in destiny that I cannot identify with.

On an unrelated note, you said that you would fight to stay alive if you had a wife or kids who depended on you for their happiness. Does this mean that your feeling of contentment towards death comes from not having strong enough ties to this world? If you somehow found something that you were able to care immensely about, does this mean that you would no longer be content to die?
    Well...To give the long story. When I was young (7), I was hit by a car breaking my leg in two places, medically known as a compound fracture. My first surgery went wrong and I died on the operating table for 4 minutes, 12 seconds. (I'm aware I'm not 'registered' dead). This didn't heal properly so I had to go in for surgery again. Once again I died whilst under anesthetic. This time it was only 3 minutes 17 seconds. I had to go down for ANOTHER operation because it still didn't set properly. Fortunately, that was a complete success.

Summary of the above. I died twice. I retained full and complete memory of my 'deaths' and it was the most beautiful thing I can ever recall in all of my life. I remember feeling that perfect toasty warm you get every once in a while when you wake up, combined with a faded light 'kaleidoscope' that pulsated with beautiful hypnotic colors. It COULD be described as a tunnel, I suppose, that pulsated, as many said. But I never once remember a light calling me into it as so many before have memorized.

Ever since that day. I've not feared a thing. Disease, death, pain, loss, hunger. Every fear I have. Just gone. It used to take 7 grown men to hold me down for shots, and after dying, I just don't ...Care. To put it simply.

My friend once theorized on my large lack of emotion that it's possible my body was getting me ready to actually die, and through such, a good deal of my cognitive social functions including my emotion just...Turned off.

But, yeah. I suppose if I had something I could solidly link myself to, like my own family, then I guess I'd have something I'd WANT to care for, thus giving me a reason to live. I'm not depressed in any manner nor do I WANT to die. I just see death as another thing that can just happen instead of something I actively aim to prevent. Granted. I won't do stupid life risking stuff just because I can, I will preserve myself with my own honor and dignity but if I was to come down with a life threatening illness, I'd more than likely let my body do its' best, because I know, deep down inside, that if I'm really meant to live, then I'll live. I've survived 7 suicide attempts and two actual deaths on the table. I'm now a happy (unmedicated) person at total peace with himself. I just often question my own theory, because I can clearly see that most people fear death and it leaves me wondering....Why? Is it because they fear the unknown? I can understand why religious people fear death, but how does an agnostic take it? One who truly has no religion nor belief in such.

Personally, I can't even begin to understand the idea of accepting your own death. A wife or children aren't the only connections to you that would be hurt by your death. There are your parents, your friends, even co-workers or people you go to school with would be effected. There's so much to do in the world, and so many ways to help better it - I can't understand why anyone would be willing to accept an end to that. That's just my personal view, though.

Personally, I am not "ready" for my death. Even though I have to accept that I must die one day, I would not welcome it. I don't want to leave this world without having done something to better it, at the very least. For another thing, my life has been saved once (in my eyes) - I need to appreciate that and give meaning to it. (If you want the story, PM me. I'm already sorta rambling and it feels just a little off-topic. >_>;;; )

Wow, I just can't relate to that. Honestly, I'm afraid of practically everything, and I would prefer to live a good 10,000 years if given the chance. It's pretty impossible for me to imagine being dead, even pain is better than nothingness.

When I first read your post I thought your were talking about living a life of no regrets - inspirational in itself. However now it seems to me that you are saying you don't care enough about anything to warrant a struggle against *fate*. Do you think this outlook on life is the cause of your happiness and contentment? Though I'm no philosopher I'm pretty sure that there are teachings that argue that desire is the root of all misery - and caring, after all, is practically the same as desiring.

However, the act of not desiring anything is completely alien to me. I wouldn't be surprised if it weren't completely alien to humanity.

Sadly you just die when you die. I think its fine to accept and know that someday you will die. I am a bit scared to find out what happens after you die, not since I think I might go to hell but just the fact I won't know what I'll face after death until I am officially dead. I might go to heaven or hell, but neither of them scare me as much as not knowing what's going to happen.

Of course if nothing is after death then it won't matter much, I'll cease to exist and that will be that. That's the main reason why I'd never be a atheist, I just think that it seams like a waste to live for however long and then that's it. Nothing else at all, everything goes on for billions of years and all you get is maybe 100+ years at most and that's if your lucky.

Error404

Wow, I just can't relate to that. Honestly, I'm afraid of practically everything, and I would prefer to live a good 10,000 years if given the chance. It's pretty impossible for me to imagine being dead, even pain is better than nothingness.

When I first read your post I thought your were talking about living a life of no regrets - inspirational in itself. However now it seems to me that you are saying you don't care enough about anything to warrant a struggle against *fate*. Do you think this outlook on life is the cause of your happiness and contentment? Though I'm no philosopher I'm pretty sure that there are teachings that argue that desire is the root of all misery - and caring, after all, is practically the same as desiring.

However, the act of not desiring anything is completely alien to me. I wouldn't be surprised if it weren't completely alien to humanity.
    Well, I can say I honestly have no regrets. Not a thing. From my mistakes to my triumphs, I've hurt others, others have hurt me, I've given and taken my fair share of happiness too! I just...I don't know how to put it. I WANT to live, but I won't fight death when it finally comes. I won't lie, it doesn't even make complete sense to me either. I'm just not frightened of death and when it comes, I've accepted it's because it's my time.

I guess it's harder to put in words than it is to see me in person. Those of these forums whom have met me, I can guarantee will DEFINATELY not describe me as an unhappy person, however, they'd probably explain me as eccentric, hyperactive and energetic. Oh. And Jesus. But that's an inside thing.

so given the aspect of tasting death you say you would be perfectly capable of some earth and a shovel and digging up your own hole in the ground and just lying there without any secondthoughts, hind/futuresight, or regrets?
    there's a reason why you're still alive you know.