Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pacifier Training

Error404

Default Pacifier Training

Okay then, so, I've got to the point now that my pacifier is a mostly permanent sleeping aid that I'll keep it in my mouth for vast extended periods of time to get myself off to rest.

I'm trying to train myself to keep it in my mouth but as of current, one of four things happen:

1. I wake up with it in my right hand. (Never my left, despite being ambidextrous.)

2. I take it out just before falling to sleep and put it on the tiny shelf above my bed.

3. I wake up, finding it somehow UNDER my back (Never anywhere else.)

4. It's fallen onto the floor beneath my bed.

See, now I'm one of the fortunate members of this community where everyone I know pretty much understands and accepts this part of me, so I'm pretty easy going when it comes to my sleeping habits. I don't have any worry of being seen sleeping with my paci, so, could anyone give me advice on how to wake up with it in my mouth? I've already trained myself to cuddle my bunny all through the night and when I wake up from doing such, I always feel amazing about myself, as if I've accomplished some great feat, so just once I'd like to wake up cuddling my bunny with my paci in my mouth. o.o

Any advice from those whom have succeeded? Even after several months training myself, I just don't find myself making any progress.

EmeraldsAndLime

I personally haven't done this before as I'm really not a huge fan of pacifiers...

But to keep it in your mouth, you could always try to tying it in place. By that I mean hold it in place by tying a piece of comfortable ribbon around your head and attaching it to the pacifier. That way it's held in your mouth all night and you get used to suckling all through the night.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukie View Post
    I personally haven't done this before as I'm really not a huge fan of pacifiers...

But to keep it in your mouth, you could always try to tying it in place. By that I mean hold it in place by tying a piece of comfortable ribbon around your head and attaching it to the pacifier. That way it's held in your mouth all night and you get used to suckling all through the night.
    That sounds like some kind of risk of suffocation D:

Error404

Hmm...I'd have to do a little research on that. Sounds feasible but anything involving purposely keeping something in your mouth that is improvised is more than likely to have unsafe implications.

Any opinions on such or experiences?

Well, I know just a ribbon could cause some risks, like suffocation. The only way I'm able to keep my paci in my mouth at night is to lay in such a way that my paci is being kept in a little by the pillow (I don't keep my whole face in the pillow though) if that makes any sense. But if you roll around a lot in your sleep that might not work. That's all I can think of, hope it helps ^^

EmeraldsAndLime

Well, so long as you aren't retarded and leave some slack to the ribbon, you'll be fine. If it falls out, it falls out - only it won't be on the ground or under your back. Move on and try something else.

Although I would personally recommend not doing this in the first place. Prolonged suckling on things can really damage and disfigure your teeth, and can lead to gum pain.

Well for me it can really be anywhere. I still don't know how to solve this ether as I'm having about the same problem.

I have the problem of being an almost compulsive thumb sucker in private. It means that when I wake up my thumb has replaced my paci. When I wake up I find that the paci is between my shoulderblades without fail. Two recommendations I have heard are Nuk 5 - a paci actually meant to fit your mouth, and a paci leash and clip. These both came from someone who says they can sleep through the night with one, so I hope they work.

As for damaging teeth, by the time your teeth are set in place I believe it isn't meant to have nearly as much effect. Haven't done any research on this though, so don't quote me on it. From what I have heard this is the case, but I haven't got any statistics or anything.

As for tying something round your head, I wouldn't recommend it, bit if you were to I would recommend doing it like you do with swimming goggles, where the strap pushes down on top of your head as much as round the back (if you put it on properly). This would reduce the risks of suffocation and make it more likely to come off the top of your head instead. I still wouldn't recommend it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooey Goodness View Post
    That sounds like some kind of risk of suffocation D:
    If there was a great risk then they wouldn't put the holes in the sides of the paci allowing one to do so. If you do need do breath, you can open your mouth wider than the paci will cover, allowing air. and if it falls in your mouth than the ribben will keep your from swallowing it. the greatest risk is you waking up chewing on it.

Quote Originally Posted by link View Post
    If there was a great risk then they wouldn't put the holes in the sides of the paci allowing one to do so. If you do need do breath, you can open your mouth wider than the paci will cover, allowing air. and if it falls in your mouth than the ribben will keep your from swallowing it. the greatest risk is you waking up chewing on it.
    Actually, I heard the reason they put holes on the guard is so air will get at the skin and not cause red marks or irritation. But I think they meant suffocation would happen if the ribbon went around the neck and somehow tightened in the back, therefore causing strangulation.