Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spark Theory

Default Spark Theory

I'd really like this post to be better written but I’m pretty prone to rambling and I’m not very articulate so here it goes.

This post is about something that I’ve been pondering upon a lot lately. For those who don't know I've always been very interested in the psychology of why we are AB/DLs. It’s always fascinated me how we end up the way we are because there are so few of us. I've always contemplated the "Why me?" and the "Why Us?"

However enough about my interests you've clicked on this thread to read about something called "Spark Theory". Now what is Spark Theory you ask? It’s the result of my latest ponderance. Having been involved in the community since about the age of 13 I’ve made a lot of friends through out the years some of which have told other people about their AB/DLism and some who have chosen to keep it personal. For the people who have told someone whether it be a friend or a significant other the reactions have always turned out mixed. Some people are rejected for their desires, some are not bothered by the fetish and are fine with it but have no desire to participate and some actually become AB/DLs themselves.

Now the accepted theory on why we are AB/DLs in my opinion is that there is some kind of stimulus that happens to us early in life that triggers us becoming AB/DL. Now the question that I would like to present to the community is what of the people who become AB/DLs through some kind of exposure to an AB/DL later in life. My theory is that we are born with something that for the sake of giving it a term we shall refer to as "The Spark". Now those of us that become AB/DLs have our sparks "ignited" sometime in our early life. What becomes of those that are born with the spark that does not have it ignited? Well the obvious answer is that they don't become AB/DLs because they were not exposed to the proper stimulus to make them AB/DLs. Now say later in life they are exposed to some kind of triggering event through another AB/DL and they themselves become AB/DL. That would lead me to believe that they had the same potential as us but without the catalytic event in their childhood that would have made them an AB/DL.

Basically in a nutshell what I’m proposing is that of every random sampling of people so many people have the potential to become AB/DL and then of those people there is a smaller number whose lives were witness to an event or series of events that made us AB/DL.

I don't know this could all just be crazy but it’s just something I’ve been thinking about and hoped to share and discuss with the community.

Edit: I failed to give credit to Yawgy for discussing this idea I had with me and helping to refine it into a theory. His interactions with his current girlfriend are what finally made me want to release this to ADISC.
    Last edited by T00L; 28-Dec-2008 at 22:14. Reason: Failed to give credit where credit was due

Korey

Hmmmmmmmm ill see if I can try to continue with this. Always hard when its someone elses theory...

I guess your partially right in a way... But the "spark" is just giving a name to an "unconditioned mind"

Your being too specific.

Its more like your born with a neutral mind and there is a certain combination of factors ranging from the lessons your parents teach you, to the friends you had to your physical appearance that can trigger ABDL.

I think were both trying to think too hard though, as I have no idea what im saying nor do I have any proof to back it on.

Lately i've been thinking its far more simple than you would want to believe, thats why people search to extremes to find the answer.

Its just partially unconsciously wanting to go back to the days where you were babied and had no responsibilities, and there are an infinite number of ways that can happen.

Yeah, nobody's story is the same, and there isn't some mathematical formula to figure out why somebody is ABDL, I don't think.......

Hope that helped or gave you something to work with....

if someone is introduced to AB/DL-ism later in life their reaction to it is liable to depend on a whole lot of environmental factors -- how open-minded they are, their feelings about the person who exposes them to it, any other fetishes they might possess, their upbringing, etc. i think that getting interested in infantilism later in life is very different from being one since early childhood. it's a decision you make, rather than something that happens to you involuntarily.

it seems like it's fairly easy for most people to cultivate sexual interests, especially if it ties in with something they're already interested in. although i think there will always be people who can't manage it, no matter how open-minded they are and how hard they try.

i recall reading that the current thinking is that a certain number of people are particularly susceptible to fetishes in general, although it isn't certain whether they were born that way or became that way later in life. people like that would be more likely to experience certain events in early childhood as a "trigger" that would lead them to develop a sexual interest in diapers or in some other fetish object. it's not a very illuminating theory, but it's the best explanation i've heard.

....interesting thread!

annierighthurr

If you just follow basic psychology knowledge, most of us have acquired this through classical conditioning that occured either in really early life or during puberty. I guess that could be considered a "spark".

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotized View Post
    If you just follow basic psychology knowledge, most of us have acquired this through classical conditioning that occured either in really early life or during puberty. I guess that could be considered a "spark".
    You're suggesting that every *bdl has been conditioned into thinking that the majority of regular society wears diapers into their teens and beyond? Just as we're conditioned into using cutlery, saying excuse me after a burp, and not squealing in a strange tone at every opportunity...

Quote Originally Posted by talula View Post
    You're suggesting that every *bdl has been conditioned into thinking that the majority of regular society wears diapers into their teens and beyond? Just as we're conditioned into using cutlery, saying excuse me after a burp, and not squealing in a strange tone at every opportunity...
    No, I think she's suggesting that this is an S-R chain that starts by feeling good in diapers, and perpetuates with more diapers (the "binge" cycle). It is the social overtones of "wrongness" or "badness" that we push against (in "purge" cycles).

The only thing remaining is the obvious: what started the first stimulus, caused us to wear the first unnecessary diaper? And this, I think, is what the OP is trying to answer. Otherwise it's turtles all the way down.

With respect to "binge" and "purge" cycles, I would posit that we are simply wavering between acceptances in attempting to resolve our cognitive dissonance - we like diapers, but dislike the negative social connotation, societal infraction, etc. In an effort to resolve this, we go through "binge" and "purge" cycles in turn. Some find resolution (the 24/7 wearers here; Darkfinn and LuvsGurl come to my mind), but I suspect that most of us do not.

Anyone technically has the potential to be TB/AB/DL, but the potential is just near zero for some, but really high for others. The spark really is hard to pin down because it isn't really like one single spark. It's like a bunch of sparks that work together. It isn't quite the same for everyone though. There are those who have some easily recognized "sparks" and some who would say they just like diapers and have no clue what could have triggered it. Well I guess my conclusion is that it's just very, very complex.

We don't go where we can't. There is some sort of predisposition, some kind of itch or yen, some missing piece creating a tension. The spark can cause that tension to be relieved by diapers, or even the idea that diapers will relieve it. Or the next level of the obsession can be attained due to the predisposition-spark-relief cycle. It's an interesting topic and psychological process.

I think Helpless got Tool’s theory the closest. I think his point is there are people out there who would become DL. That is they have the unignited spark or are preconditioned, but don’t know what’s missing in their life because they have not thought of or been exposed to it. This would based on the growing number of new members turned on to this by their friends and lovers.

Nam