Thread: Purchasing diapers for discount from work

Question Purchasing diapers for discount from work

I work at biglots and recently i noticed that they are selling attends. Now, i want these and i have a 30%discount on all in store items, but i don't want to just walk in there and buy them from the people who i work with the people who think they know me well. I would get shy. So i want to know... How would you go about buying diapers from a store you work at?

That could be tough when the items have to be scanned. Your best bet would do it when the cashiers who are working don't really know you. I've got a Big Lots store where I go all the time but have never seen Attends in the store.
    I have seen Depends off and on but never bought any.

I have not seen Depends or Attends but if they have them nearby; get them at a different location?

Quote Originally Posted by MOPaddED View Post
    I have not seen Depends or Attends but if they have them nearby; get them at a different location?
    This is what I was thinking. Go to another Big Lots and buy them there.

yes good ideas all but i was wondering how others would deal with the situation not what i should do. i wanted to get others point of view on the subject. Sorry if i confused...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by oleman72 View Post
    That could be tough when the items have to be scanned. Your best bet would do it when the cashiers who are working don't really know you. I've got a Big Lots store where I go all the time but have never seen Attends in the store.
    I have seen Depends off and on but never bought any.
    BigLots has many items it all depends on where you live and what major stores sell out clearance items near by. As we just had a major drug store close down near by, and the big lots i work at bought out their stock. BigLots buys in bulk from other major name brand stores and resells at the lower cost we never have the same stock, and rarely do we have the same item at one store that we do in another

If it was me, I would put a brave face on it. Just explain you were asked to buy them because a relative uses them and they are on special in your store, where you happen to get a discount. It is gutsy, but know myself I would just do it and face the music.

Quote Originally Posted by Sitherus View Post
    How would you go about buying diapers from a store you work at?
    they're for a relative. simples

I would go in and buy them (as many as I wanted or all) outside of my normal shift and not worry about what others thought. I would not mention a relative or anything that could be later confirmed false. Confidently cut off any further discussion with a plausible reason your are eager to discuss such as a plan to use them in a potted plant (google "disposable diapers in potted plants"). Make it clear it is your personal business and question their interest in the matter. If they are trying to embarrass you, ask them why they are interested in adult diapers and ask if they need some. Coworkers are only able to tease you and embarrass you with topics that embarrass you more than them. When you are the one laughing, the joke is now on them and they will not like that.

As an example from years ago, one guy kept harassing me about replacing a Nissan Frontier with a Ford F-350 Crew Cab long box. The truck was the biggest pickup Ford made at the time, had room for 6 people, and could haul 2 tons. This went on for months until I gave a good answer. One day, I told him that I bought the truck so that my girlfriend would not overload it when she got in the truck. The room went silent and he never mentioned my truck again. Of course, that reason was invalid because no single person could have "overloaded" even the smaller truck and everyone knew this. The difference was that I was no longer embarrassed to discuss owning such a larger truck and the other person lost their source of fun.

Another coworker tried to embarrass me by discussing why I had made a wooden chain because I had no good reason to make it. A wooden chain is worthless and mine has 15 links carved from oak which took over a month of time. He asked if it was for "soft BDSM"; I replied "No, that is what rabbit fur is for." Again, the room went silent and no one ever asked again for my reason to make it. Everyone still thinks it cool that I had made it and don't care why.

Diapers are an embarrassing topic. Most people would be too embarrassed to bring them up unless there is another reason. Either they are concerned about your health or want to embarrass you. Once both reasons are eliminated, the topic will go away. You just need to give out enough information to confirm both. Sorry I cannot elaborate further, I got to go buy spinach seeds, potting soil, a planter, and attends sized to fit the planters. I will check back later.