Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Psych Ward

Default Psych Ward

I have Been going through a lot lately and really having thoughts of death I feel like I am too much of a chicken to kill myself but want to die. I have been changing everything getting rid of all of the stuff that keeps me sane my websites, I have been losing friends, family everything. well anyway to my point on the other side I have been thinking about checking myself into a psych ward but I do not have health insurance. What is the cost for something like this and what happens. like what do they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Grubber View Post
    I have Been going through a lot lately and really having thoughts of death I feel like I am too much of a chicken to kill myself but want to die. I have been changing everything getting rid of all of the stuff that keeps me sane my websites, I have been losing friends, family everything. well anyway to my point on the other side I have been thinking about checking myself into a psych ward but I do not have health insurance. What is the cost for something like this and what happens. like what do they do.
    I'm not American and so I can't give you advice on costs, hopefully someone else will know something. I've had depression and suicidal thoughts of my own, and reaching out and getting help is the best thing you can do. You don't have to kill yourself and you don't simply have to live with pain either. If you haven't already tried them I would recommend calling a suicide crisis line - it really did help me at very low points in my life. This is a list for Minnesota - hopefully someone on there can give you some more specific advice than we can.

You're not alone, this is a bad time of year for suicidal feelings. *hugs*

I wish I could help. I have what they call "Passive suicidal throughts" Where I wouldn't kill myself, but don't mind the idea of dying. No idea on a psych ward.

Grubber;
    i have looked up several public free and university based emergency care web-sights that can help you. they all have information on costs. which seem to be free for the poor.... if i knew the county that you lived in i could better find you help. but for now this is the best i could do, sorry that i could not do better.
    please find these sights bellow;

Crisis Resources | NAMI Minnesota
    Maps of adult public mental health services in Minnesota
    Emergency :: Minnesota Mental Health
    Behavioral Health: Behavioral Emergency Center - University of Minnesota Medical Center, Fairview
    Ramsey County HS
    http://www.walkin.org/client-resources
    Last edited by littlelodgewrecker; 28-Dec-2013 at 07:28.

most physch wards dont allow volutary check ins... you hsve to something stupid before people will even look at you, spend 3 days in an ER and wait on a bed then get transferred to said ward, go to court on campus and then spend a min of 7 days there before released. its called an IEA

my grandmother worked at the NH state hospital.. here if you wanna talk

I had a public meltdown back in December of 2010. They put me on a three day watch for my own safety.

If you decide to wait until the hours that they operate then you go this route.

Call human services in your county and ask for a rule 25. Be sure that you specifically ask to be assessed for a Rule 25 immediately.

County Websites / Local Government / Government // Minnesota.gov: navigate your state

If your county does not help get a hold of DHS here

444 Lafayette Rd N, Saint Paul (651) 431-2000 This is the main building and if you can get there walk in and speak to someone about denial of benefit. They can not play hide the carrot in Minnesota...

You can also call 911 and be assessed for the rule 25 after being admitted for a 72 hour watch. You will not be able to leave for this time period but it may be the quickest way to get what you need TODAY!

You can also go to the nearest emergency room and see a doctor about it they can not deny you medical attention in Minnesota in an emergency room.

All hospitals in Minnesota have to provide access to a social worker as part of your patient rights once you are admitted.

Here are more options...

I am not sure where you are located in the state but if you are near the Twins Cities St. Mary's has mental health.

St Mary's helps poor people.

St. Mary's Health Clinic

Willmar, MN also has a facility that I know many people have received help from over the years. located in southern West Central Minnesota

Woodland Centers

If you are suffering from addictions maybe Hazelden can help I heard that they work with people also.

Hazelden -- Addiction Treatment Center

I have heard not so great things about St. Peter down by Mankato over unethical happenings so try and avoid that place. This is a state ran facility.

I really hope that this is a no news is good new scenario and you already are getting the help you need.

Good luck and hope that you can get the help that you need, mental illness can be serious, yet treatable and even curable.
    Last edited by Rogers; 29-Dec-2013 at 06:43. Reason: added content

I was passed on to the psych ward at a local hospital after an overnight in detox, although my visit was covered by insurance. I don't remember the amount, but I'd say around $1,000-1,500.

Have you been using drugs or alcohol? What do you mean by "things that keep me sane"? Are you trying to purge AB/DL feelings?

I can't completely recommend spending money out-of-pocket without a better idea of what's happening, but just call people and give them the honest truth about how you feel and what's going on. There are group therapy sessions that are free and open to anyone with practically any kind of problem--for instance, I would not be sober today if it weren't for Alcoholics Anonymous.

It really does help. Rogers has provided you with a nice list, and I would take note of them.

Okay. You are dl (like me) so first let me say that some have morbid thoughts that arise from being abdl (they hate it) while others have such thoughts and find abdl fantasies or play are a refuge and a distraction FROM negative thoughts. For now, whoever you end up seeing, a Dr. or psychologist or social worker of some sort, I would keep from mentioning abdl, at least at first. Everything is connected, true, but some things are more relevant than others, and you want a professional to prioritize your issues. I hope for a doctor, who can assess whether an organic illness is at play, and if it is how to address it. He would be in the best position to refer you to psychologists, or whoever else can help, including welfare workers, pastors, employment counsellors or what have you.

I found this Minnesota Emergency Crisis Hotlines and Helplines ~ FindCounseling.com, maybe it will add to what's been mentioned above.

You can't just turn up out of the blue to a psyche ward. Even where there is a public healthcare system , like in Canada or the UK You need to be admitted based on a referral from a Dr., either outpatient, inpatient (if you are already an inpatient for a non-psych issue) or an emergency room physician. But remember, a psyche ward is an intensive care ward, and will boot you out as soon as you are stable enough to be out of immediate danger. Community follow-up services are crucial to find and use. Avoiding ER (emergency room) services is best if at all possible. DO NOT self-harm to get a "free Go To The Ward card, Do Not pass Go, do not collect $200. The risk is very great of either getting assessed and booted out, or doing permanent injury you will have to live with forever (wrist scars, nerve damage, liver damage, etc.) that will make life painful and sucky forever on, down the road. Note also that on the ward, if you get there, you'll have a 3 day observation period during which no internet access, possible bed restraints, possible strong anti-psychotics that can make you basically a zombie, and other potential short-term solutions that remove your freedom to act as you please. Psych wards are NOT the place to obtain diapers either, getting caught would complicate your diagnosis and would be considered theft or fraud. (Hospital diapers are cheap and crappy anyway.)

Another plan would be to get a job with health care insurance benefits. Easier said than done, but worth consideration.

In your shoes it might be wise to get on welfare to get medical coverage. Look into supplemental welfare so you can continue to earn but get the healthcare benefits. Also avoid using ground or air ambulance. Even up here they may not be covered and the bill is hefty, possibly justifying bancruptcy. Avoid if you can.

Grubber,

Please let us know how you are doing and if we may be of any further assistance. Many of us know the dark places that our mind can take us and would like to help you get to a better mental state.

May I suggest talking with someone in real life about what you are going through and seek healthy alternatives for your life. Sometimes, our mind gets clouded with emotion and we are not able to see our life correctly. From my experience, psych wards are only reserved for those in immediate danger to themselves or others and are the last resort to preserve life. It is better to find an alternative solution if possible before inpatient treatment is required. The cost mentioned by Stag is not cheap and could be per night. I was offered a voluntary stay for a couple days and they kept me 12. That cost is unknown to me, but could have been $1000 per night times 12 for $12,000 total. Add in the lab tests, CT scan, and other costs associated with the ER visit required to rule out physical issues and the cost jumps up again. Inpatient treatment is not cheap. For me, it was very effective and equally unpleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by Stag View Post
    I was passed on to the psych ward at a local hospital after an overnight in detox, although my visit was covered by insurance. I don't remember the amount, but I'd say around $1,000-1,500.

There are group therapy sessions that are free and open to anyone with practically any kind of problem...It really does help. Rogers has provided you with a nice list, and I would take note of them.
    This route will help you to better understand your situation without compounding your worries with financial difficulties.

Quote Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
    I hope for a doctor, who can assess whether an organic illness is at play, and if it is how to address it. He would be in the best position to refer you to psychologists, or whoever else can help, including welfare workers, pastors, employment counsellors or what have you.
    I agree that a professional trained to help you would be most beneficial and could help guide you to the best solution while being mindful of your financial situation. The free hotlines would be the best initial step and can guide you to the best solution for your situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
    You can't just turn up out of the blue to a psyche ward...You need to be admitted based on a referral from a Dr... But remember, a psyche ward is an intensive care ward, and will boot you out as soon as you are stable enough to be out of immediate danger. Community follow-up services are crucial to find and use. Avoiding ER (emergency room) services is best if at all possible. DO NOT self-harm to get a "free Go To The Ward card... The risk is very great of either getting assessed and booted out, or doing permanent injury you will have to live with forever (wrist scars, nerve damage, liver damage, etc.) that will make life painful and sucky forever on, down the road. Note also that on the ward, if you get there, you'll have a 3 day observation period during which no internet access, possible bed restraints, possible strong anti-psychotics that can make you basically a zombie, and other potential short-term solutions that remove your freedom to act as you please. Psych wards are NOT the place to obtain diapers either, getting caught would complicate your diagnosis and would be considered theft or fraud. (Hospital diapers are cheap and crappy anyway.)
    This is the psych ward description I could not put into words earlier. When I suggested this option while in the ER for a mental health issue, they prescribed medication and sent me home. You cannot just "check-in"; a doctor must have sufficient legal justification before you may be subjected to such treatment. The treatment and medications can drive people crazy. For the patients health and sanity, they try to minimize people's exposure to psych wards. A medically induced zombie state only prevents further harm until real outpatient treatment may begin. My mental state goes bad when someone suggests that going back to one may be helpful. I will exhaust every other option before deciding to go there again. The psych ward was the best and worst thing that happened to me in 2013. It got me the treatment I needed and left me a better person with additional painful memories.

I with you the best of luck improving your mental health and life.