Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RPG Maker experts?

Default RPG Maker experts?

This is a premature unveiling of the super secret project I've been working on. A DL RPG. Nothing fancy.

Thing is, my less than notable coding skills are holding me back. Online tutorials don't help at all. I'm a writer, not a game designer.

If anyone who's experienced in RPG Maker 2003 can help me, that'd be cool. Basicaly, I'm trying to create a clock that begins ticking down when you choose an option in one of the first main conversations you have with an NPC.
    And then it displays certain messages when it reaches certain times.

Anyone who has played CS_Fox's Weston Academy game (you can find it on Fox Tales Times) knows what I'm talking about. Depending on what the player chooses in the beginning of the game - "Yes, I have wetting problems" or "No, I don't" - An invisible timer begins ticking down, displaying a message at different intervals (such as: "I have to use the washroom").

Thing is, for some reason on the Fox Tales forum, I can't pm CS to ask him personaly. So, if anyone proficient in RPG maker can figure it out, or explain to me how to make something like that, it'd be cool.

I don't expect to get many answers, but you never know.

to make this will take a good amount of money to do. They est. that the RPG Runescape cost them $15 million to make. I have some HTML and Java skills, but can't make an RPG.

Quote Originally Posted by diaperedteenager View Post
    to make this will take a good amount of money to do. They est. that the RPG Runescape cost them $15 million to make. I have some HTML and Java skills, but can't make an RPG.
    You've got me all wrong. RPG Maker is a downloadable program that, for the most part, does all the programing for you.

It costs, like, 60$.

Not as flexible as Game Maker, though.

But I'm pretty sure you can use the Common Events or something in the Database to start the countdown. When a certain button is set on, it would start a timer (not sure how) and when it hits 0 it would display the "I have to use the washroom" crap.

I'd need to re-download RPG Maker if you need more precisions.

to make this will take a good amount of money to do. They est. that the RPG Runescape cost them $15 million to make.
    Wow 15 million dollars to make such a shit game?

Some people make games all on their own. It doesn't cost them millions of dollars. It can actually be pretty cheap or even free. It just often takes a very long amount of time and effort.

Whoa, that takes me back. The old RPG maker programs (95, 2000, 2003 and XP) were pretty much an obsession for me years ago. Made quite a few nifty little games on there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraiden View Post
    Whoa, that takes me back. The old RPG maker programs (95, 2000, 2003 and XP) were pretty much an obsession for me years ago. Made quite a few nifty little games on there.
    I was pretty crazy about them back in the day too. Course, I was too young to actually make anything.

DarkSun: I've tried delving into the Common Events page, and something like that could work. Only problem is, that I can't figure out how to make a switch for when the timer meets, say, 50 seconds and displays a message.

Anyway, I'm having fun experimenting with switches and events. It won't be long till I get the hang of this. Still, any more help would be appreciated (from anyone). I'll be able to complete the game without any help, but it'll just be faster if someone lends a hand.

Being the idiot I am, I didn't relaise I could upload CS_Fox's gam directly into RPG Maker. >_<

So now I can just study his work from the inside and figure out a similar system for my own game. It's gonna be a lot of work, though.

I've played around with RPGMaker2003 a little, tore up some ABDL games on FTT. If you're having trouble in an area or would like some collab work, feel free to ask me. I can't claim to be an expert, but code in general is very easy to manipulate.