Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: War on the Ill!

Default War on the Ill!

'My son is mentally ill,' so listen up - CNN.com

In the wake of recent shootings in the last two decades, more and more people are starting to attack those with mental illness such as ADHD and Aspergers (both I have). This has been ongoing but personally I have seen it with last year's Sandy Hook shooting. I was on other places in the net (news sites w/ comments enabled.) There, I personally seen a war on the mental ill was starting. I understand there are people hurt and grieving over those lost from the recent school shootings, but there are some who are making it a vendetta against those who suffer from mental illnesses. Personally I don't see it as any better as what people do to Jews, or Homosexuals. Large demographics of fellow humans are being persecuted because of the horrible and unjustified actions of a few. Yes, I'm anti-social. Yes, I get angry easily. No, I will not pick up a gun and shoot the first kids I see just because I get angry at the world. No, I do not like violence at all. Yes I have ADHD and Aspergers. But people need to stop claiming that everyone with a mental illness is a ticking time bomb and need to be "taken care" of. I have kept my Aspergers a complete secret from many people during high school, but days after the Sandy Hook shooting a year ago today, I heard a lot of people saying they need to find out which people have Aspergers and stay away from them.

Just singling me out because of something I was born with is enough to make me just do what they fear I would do. Of course, in all seriousness, I confronted my school psychologist on this matter and informed him. He said to me that no matter what, humans will discriminate against other humans regardless of reason or lack of. In the case of us Aspies, the reason is the actions of a few people.

So please, spread awareness of this and stop the discrimination of those with Mental Illness such as Aspergers.

Edited: Wanted to post this article
    Last edited by BinkyBoi; 14-Dec-2013 at 21:00.

Thank you for sharing this concern. People are too quick to jump to wrong conclusions especially when emotions override logic. Diagnosed mental differences does not make someone a mass-murderer waiting to happen. Human cruelty, anger, and hatred lead to violence, but those speaking out against mental illness fail to see their involvement in stirring up the next time. Love thy neighbor as thyself and they will be less likely to unload violence upon you. Spread hatred and risk being violently hated.

I have recently committed myself to spreading awareness of atypical mental patterns like the autism spectrum because of the myths and fears surrounding them. What bad decisions could come from incorrect understanding.

you know I used to play violent first person shooters and I happen to have asperger's as well. obviously considering that I have more motive then most people would have to commit these acts it should be a surprise to everyone who THINK there's a link between asperger's and violent crimes. I was bullied a lot when I was younger and I clearly did not go out and do something stupid with a AR-15 or a M19-11 handgun or some crap like that. I DID in fact try to commit suicide(but only AFTER high school and that was mostly the MID 2000's) because I was thinking that it was right for our social service's out here in Toledo to turn me down and that I seriously was more of a burden then a help to society and that I should put myself down. the only good news coming out of that was I was so deranged that I COULD not even hope to kill myself "correctly" and I just wound up in the hospital rather then the morgue. maybe we could use this for some kind of documentary? In fact I have multiple character witnesses who could help me with that too although the AB/DL side of me must be kept from the public.(at least for now)

June

How can you conclude from insensitive jerks commenting on the internet that, as a result from school shootings, there is now an ongoing war against people with mental illnesses? Jerks commenting on the internet isn't a societal war against a demographic in the sense that African-Americans, immigrant, homosexuals, women, and the like have experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by June View Post
    How can you conclude from insensitive jerks commenting on the internet that, as a result from school shootings, there is now an ongoing war against people with mental illnesses? Jerks commenting on the internet isn't a societal war against a demographic in the sense that African-Americans, immigrant, homosexuals, women, and the like have experienced.
    Because I have seen it in person at my school last year after Sandy Hook. Groups of people commenting that Aspergers are "dangerous and violent" and not to trust them. Looking back, I realized that if I ever said anything I would have probably been emotionally or physically abused.

I copied and pasted this from one of my Facebook status updates.

I'm starting to really question the legitimacy of our mental health system. It almost seems like at anytime the so called "health experts" can somehow declare certain behaviors to be mental disorders. It almost seems subjective to me. Do we fully understand every single root cause of the way an individual may act or say the things they do? Why are we so quick to label a child with having ADD or ADHD when the very nature of a child is energized and are curious about the world around them. Then they're doped up on these awful SSRI drugs and suddenly they become docile zombies and the light in their eyes goes out. Who are we to judge others whom we don't fully understand? Certain events in an individual's life can trigger certain actions and reactions whether good or bad. Yet we toss them into the insane asylum and feed them synthetic drugs. This "conforming to society" ideology is getting a bit out of hand IMO. Why must everyone do what others want them to or face the possibility of being ridiculed, made fun of, called names, and tossed into a mental institution then fed these drugs? I know mental health treatments date back well into history, but it seems even now the way it is practiced hasn't changed much over the years. Or maybe I'm just ignorant of it all because I have never been in a mental health facility for treatment. Some might say I need mental health treatment but I'd probably tell them to kiss my ass and go pound sand. I haven't hurt anyone.

We have a classic case of the break down in mental health services here in Virginia. Cree Deeds, the democrat who ran for governor of Virginia and lost, was stabbed by his mentally ill son. The son then ran into his bedroom, got a gun and killed himself. The night before, the Deeds had taken their son to a mental facility, trying to get him confined to a room. He was turned down because they said they had no rooms. They also said they queried every mental facility in Virginia and there were no beds. The Deeds had to return home.

The press revealed that other facilities said they had rooms and beds, and were never contacted by the hospital where the Deeds had taken their son.

Over the years, funding for mental facilities has been cut, both at the state and federal level. There are countless cases where the mentally ill have been released, or not treated because of a breakdown in the system. The student who killed all those students at Virginia Tech is yet another case. He had been diagnosed and judged dangerous to other, yet in Virginia, he was able to purchase guns.

Probably many of us on this site were considered a little "different" by some of our classmates, and given a hard time. I was for a while, but extreme weightlifting was my quick solution to that. I was a reasonably nice person,however, and had my group of friends. Everyone is different to some degree, but there are those who are in need of help. They should receive it, and if need be, separated from the rest of society until it's safe for both them and the rest of us. We simply have to be more humane and caring as a society.

Society LOVES to find groups to scapegoat. There is no logic or reason behind scapegoating, although those who engage in it will spew lies in an attempt to justify their bigotry. Most of the bigots are ignorant enough to actually believe the bullshit.
    To address this subject specifically, neither ADHD/ADD nor Asperger's are in anyway connected with violence (regardless of what corporate "news" may say). The 24 hour tv "news" is purely about ratings and the people who watch them are usually far too stupid to question the credibility of their statements. They will make baseless claims and bring in "experts" who have never evaluated, interacted with, looked at, or even seen the records of the people whom they claim to diagnose. In addition, even if a person who did something like that were to happen to have Asperger's, that douse not in anyway prove or even suggest causation. As for mental illness in general, people with mental illness are far more likely to be a victim than a perpetrator of violence.

When I saw the footage after the Sandy Hook school shooting I remember many reporters repeating that most people with Asperger's are nonviolent. It seemed clear they were attempting to stop something from escalating in the hands of the uninformed. It probably escalated anyway in some people. Those people are just kind of closed-minded and undereducated to begin with. Those are probably the same type of group that discriminates against non-whites, women, gays, etc.

I don't think the media dropped the ball. From my perspective I saw them repeatedly trying to make sure people understood it was unrelated to his Asperger's and unlike a typical person with Asperger's. It's just that some people won't ever understand and aren't open to information that goes against viewpoints they already have. And when something really terrible happens like Sandy Hook, people want to blame something, because anger is easier for many people than grief. Blaming the shooter is hard because you can't be actively and satisfyingly angry at a dead person. So the people who tend towards blame and anger pointed to the group of people with Asperger's. I'm not sure how many people went into this mindset, but I'm sure the ones who did are outspoken and more noticeable than people quietly grieving.

And, Pawlf, I get what you're saying in some respects, but some people really need their SSRI's to function. Their brains don't release chemicals properly and they are suffering from it. Without their medication their lives are a lot worse. Giving SSRI's to people who have a chemical imbalance is the same as giving insulin to a diabetic. They need the drug to help them live a successful life. I agree that it shouldn't be given to people who don't need it, though. Diagnoses should be made very carefully, especially with children who have a hard time expressing their feelings and thoughts.

June

Quote Originally Posted by paciloverbaby3 View Post
    Because I have seen it in person at my school last year after Sandy Hook. Groups of people commenting that Aspergers are "dangerous and violent" and not to trust them. Looking back, I realized that if I ever said anything I would have probably been emotionally or physically abused.
    Anecdotal claims use too small of a sample size to be used as evidence supporting a claim the size of yours. I'm not denying that there are assholes in existence that are completely insensitive to those with mental health illnesses, but the claim that there is a societal war on the mentally ill from these shootings seems at best hyperbolized and at worst far-fetched.