Thread: Makeshifts

Default Makeshifts

Have any of you ever made an actually really good makeshift?
    Once I made a diaper out of a lot of toilet paper, wal mart bag, duct tape, and part of a sham wow. It could handle a lot of wettings and the walmart bag gave it a nice crinkle, also the amount of toilet paper used made it very thick.

There are probably many of us who started out that way. I know I did. I did the toilet/kitchen paper in plastic bags trick.. tried folded bath towels instead of the paper.. It was all fun and indeed kind of worked... kind of :-)

Have fun!
    a

Well- when I was a kid and unable to buy diapers (before the age of 11), my desires forced me to make makeshift diapers. In the early years, I would just unravel a whole roll of toilet paper around my waist and between my legs and use it as a diaper... then I urinated in it and it fell apart and became soggy.

Later on I would pee in towels and wear plastic bags over it, which held up well but was too loud and crinkly to sleep in just in case parents heard me. I imagine most DL's made makeshift diapers before they could get hold of the real things. Perfectly normal behaviour for DLs.

From the ages of 11 to 16 or 17 I used makeshift but they changed a lot as I found better methods. My first method was toilet paper underwear and trash bags. I would use toilet paper and get a piece that went from the top of my waste on the back, then between the legs, then up past the front of my crotch and to the top part of my waste. This would give me the size i needed then I would use an entire role layering it up. I would then take the garbage bag. Cut holes in the bottom corners, small ones. I would stretch my legs through this creating a tight fit. Then I put on either underwear or swim trunks over them for the support. I them put the pad I created out of toilet paper in. I would also make a few extra pads to put at the back and front sides. I eventually got better at it and started using paper towels for extra coverage around the back and as boosters. These things worked but had terrible absorbancy. They could hold a wetting maybe. I would be in a shower if you really try to soak these. I would also tie the top of the garbage bag to make a tight fit at the top. This was not something that could be even remotely hidden though

There were always cloth baby diapers (prefolds) around when I was a kid. As I grew, though, I had to get creative to wear these. A method that served me well for years was to fold one diaper into a nearly triangular shape and pin it to the back of another, like this. I have some XL toddler prefolds that I use for stuffers these days, and I sometimes amuse myself by wearing them this way.

I never did find a great substitute for plastic pants, however. As a kid, on those occasions when I was brave enough to wet my cloth diapers, I would do so while standing in the shower. I would then rinse and wash the diapers by hand in the sink afterwards. Pampers and Huggies eventually put an end to that.

As for making a makeshift with modern ingredients, well... you can always buy some SAP. Then, instead of just laying paper towels down the middle of some hourglass-shaped piece of plastic, try this:
    1. Lay out a length of paper towels
    2. Place parallel stripes of double-sided Scotch tape down the middle of the paper towels (some gaps in between the stripes are probably good).
    3. Pour SAP all over the tape, then sweep off (and keep) whatever doesn't stick.
    4. Do this a few more times with additional lengths of paper towels.
    5. Stack all the SAP-ed lengths of paper towels
    6. Place at least one more length of paper towels over the top so that none of the SAP is exposed.
    7. Fold or roll the sides under so that no SAP can escape out the sides of this gigantic, multi-layer SAP sandwich you've created.
    8. Tape this to the middle of your plastic backing.

Just one idea, anyway. My biggest concern would be that most of the SAP would free itself and roll to your crotch, causing major clumping. But! Somebody should try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
    .. you can always buy some SAP.
    I wonder if anyone has added extra polymer to an adult diaper? By this I mean, make an incision in the back of a diaper and evenly try to place a whole load of SAP in, and patch the incision up with a hot glue gun or something. I suppose it is one way of manually increasing absorption of a diaper. Another method could be to extra SAP from regular baby diapers and inserting it into an adult diaper evenly. Hmm.. I wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by RouteLeader View Post
    I wonder if anyone has added extra polymer to an adult diaper? By this I mean, make an incision in the back of a diaper and evenly try to place a whole load of SAP in, and patch the incision up with a hot glue gun or something. I suppose it is one way of manually increasing absorption of a diaper. Another method could be to extra SAP from regular baby diapers and inserting it into an adult diaper evenly. Hmm.. I wonder.
    I would be tempted, but major clumping seems inevitable. The real magic, I think, it getting it to stay put -- suspending it in the padding.

I actually did this tonight. I carefully pulled up the polymer, and for the most part kept its shape. Though I realized that it makes a mess because the tiny crystals inside went all over the place. I scooped up what I could and put it back in.

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
    I would be tempted, but major clumping seems inevitable. The real magic, I think, it getting it to stay put -- suspending it in the padding.