Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planning ahead for an ER visit?

Default Planning ahead for an ER visit?

A few threads have mentioned clothing worn to the Emergency Room and this got me thinking. Has anyone else planned ahead with their clothing and possessions before visiting the ER?

For the last 6 months, I have been dealing with several medical problems which resulted in 9 ER visits in that time span. When possible, I planned ahead to bring what would be required for an extended stay and chose my clothing appropriately. The first visit included comfortable shoes and clothing and external batteries for my cell phone. The second through 8th visit added nicotine lozenges, mouth night-guard, and special clothing choices. I wore slip-on shoes without socks, board shorts (swim trunks with integral underwear), and a t-shirt. When asked to undress, all I had to do was kick off the shoes and remove the t-shirt. The shorts stayed on and allowed me to get up without worry of my underwear showing under the hospital gown. Getting dressed again was equally efficient. The 9th visit occurred during work and I only had time to grab my cell phone before being taken to the local clinic which later transferred me to the ER.

Has anyone else planned ahead before going to the ER?

Just to the extent of changing out of work gear and cleaning up. Once I had 3rd degree burns on my arm and hand while nearly covered in grease so I washed up and changed, good thing since they almost wanted to admit me and do skin grafts on the spot. Wearing diapers hadn't seriously entered my mind at the time

Mom always said to "wear clean underwear in case you get in an accident and end up in the emergency room". I've been there more than my fair share of times mostly for on the job accidents as I work a dirty and dangerous job. No medic has ever complained about the state of my clothes even when covered in industrial waste.

When I had my back surgery last April, I bagged up all my diapers and plastic pants and hid them in the laundry room. Our daughter came to stay for a week to initially help my wife, and then me when I came home. It was such a nice and wonderful thing for her to do, but I did have to "tidy" things up.

As for hospital garb, I was operated by 6 pm and going home noontime the next day. The only thing I wore was the darn hospital gown. Surgery was not fun, so I really didn't care. I had my street clothes to change into the following day and was happy to leave. Our daughter met me and took me home as my wife had to dialyze "in center" since I couldn't be there to get her on our home machine.

aspergers

When ever I have to go to hospital I always pack a bag of diapers. This is for two reasons, one hospitals diapers are rubbish and two I am a bedwetter.

Well,

Only times in my adult life I've been to the ER...there wasn't much ability to grab much of anything...

Last time was a car crash...four years ago now...

Back in the 90's I ended up in the ER several times...but for just knife and type wounds...one bullet wound...and crashed one road bike...

Oddly in the 90's, only the road bike was an overnight stay...the rest were just getting stitched up...

I used to have a fairly dangerous job...

And one time I had any time to plan, was I got some sort of infection in my finger...never was identified...but ended up in the hospital for a few days...injections of drugs every 4 hours...after two days it quit spreading and started getting better...after several different drugs...

Diapers were a nuisance as they wanted to inject in my arse...later they just did my thigh...

But back on topic, that one time I did come with my own diapers and such...but, getting stabbed every four hours didn't make for good sleep anyhow...

I guess I'm a little different. When I had to go to the ER it is a matter of get there quick. I don't worry about what to take along. You can sort that out later.

I agree with ringer. The only times I've gone to the ER, it was really an emergency (passing a kidney stone or bleeding uncontrollably). There was no time for planning. However, if I did have time to plan, my top priority would be to make sure I was wearing a dry diaper.

I appreciate the candid responses to my question. When I read about someone being embarrassed about their underwear choice, my first reaction was was to be critical of their failure to plan ahead. Thankfully, I chose to get a second opinion before making a bad post elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    When I had my back surgery last April, I bagged up all my diapers and plastic pants and hid them in the laundry room.
    Thank you for sharing. Before my last surgery, my home was not prepared and I had to correct that the day after surgery. During an extended hospital stay, a person offered to get stuff from my home; I had to decline because of what had been left out in plain sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbabybret View Post
    Only times in my adult life I've been to the ER...there wasn't much ability to grab much of anything...

And one time I had any time to plan, was I got some sort of infection in my finger...

But back on topic, that one time I did come with my own diapers and such...but, getting stabbed every four hours didn't make for good sleep anyhow...
    I appreciate the healthier view of preparing for an ER visit: expediency with consideration for other items when feasable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringer View Post
    I guess I'm a little different. When I had to go to the ER it is a matter of get there quick. I don't worry about what to take along. You can sort that out later.

Quote Originally Posted by Inconinmiss View Post
    ...The only times I've gone to the ER, it was really an emergency (passing a kidney stone or bleeding uncontrollably). There was no time for planning. However, if I did have time to plan, my top priority would be to make sure I was wearing a dry diaper.
    Reading these, I suspect my perspective may be a little off. When I sliced my hand open and required immediate medical attention, I changed out of the bloody clothes, washed my hands, and made sure my appearance was presentable. In the mean time, I had to apply more dressing to the hand because the first one soaked through. Started to drive off without MT Dew and ran back in the house to get it. Ended up disturbing the bandage on the drive there because it was the free hand and was used to open the MT Dew while the good hand held the steering wheel. Still arrived with a bloody mess...

I've never been able to plan for a trip to the ER. Every time I've been has been, well, an emergency.