Thread: Gaming computer

Default Gaming computer

Finally getting myself a personal computer for gaming (even though my home desktop has a quad core processor and can run most games decently, it's starting to become outdated and it only has 6gb RAM.

I'm getting an alienware 14 laptop, the first thing after setting it up is playing bioshock infinite at a smoothe FPS because my home computer runs it at like 5 fps. Strangely it can run a lot of games fine, but bioshock is just too much for my desktop.

What gaming setup do you guys use?

what type of game setup do you mean? What graphic card do you have?

This site can be good to check to see if you computer can run the game: Can You RUN It | Can I run that game | Game system requirements

built my own

AMD FX8350 OC to 4.6
    16GB G.skill Ripjaws ram
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 Classified (EVGA's 4GB model name)
    Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra Case
    full Custom Liquid cooling for CPU and GPU
    Bluray Drive
    256GB SSD for OS
    500GB SSD for games
    4TB HDD for music, movies and just about everything else,

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny456 View Post
    Finally getting myself a personal computer for gaming (even though my home desktop has a quad core processor and can run most games decently, it's starting to become outdated and it only has 6gb RAM.

I'm getting an alienware 14 laptop
    6gb RAM sounds like some AMD triple channel setup, maybe an X4? Don't be fooled by it's age, processors haven't gotten that much faster the past few years. An option worth considering here might be getting a decent current graphics card along the old components and sticking to a gaming pc solution. Sinking the money into a laptop might be a good option in some rare cases, but in general I consider PCs to be the faster and cheaper option in the long run.

But that's just some very vague assumptions, can't get any more specific without details :P

My quad Core2 with 4gb RAM still runs everything I throw at it even though it's years old. Replacing the graphics card last year was more important. Although I might replace it next year in order to make full use of my SSDs.

6gb just means triple channel. He is probably running a 1st gen i7. I will agree that everything since sandy bridge is pretty much sandy bridge that uses less power. 4gb of ram will not be enough for some of the modern games that are coming out. I recommend 16gb. 8gb at the minimum.
    Anyway my specs are a bit overkill, but I do other stuff than gaming.
    i7-3930k clocked at 4.8ghz with bitspower block
    asus rampage iv extreme
    32gb of crucial 2133mhz ram
    SLI 2xgtx 680s 2gb each with a full ek block
    asus xonar pheobus
    2xkingston hyperx 240gb ssd raid0
    seagate 3tb hdd 7200rpm
    full custom liquid cooling
    2x240mm rads
    bitfenix colossus window red
    corsair ax1200 with individually sleeved cables

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny456 View Post
    I'm getting an alienware 14 laptop, the first thing after setting it up is playing bioshock infinite at a smoothe FPS because my home computer runs it at like 5 fps. Strangely it can run a lot of games fine, but bioshock is just too much for my desktop.

What gaming setup do you guys use?
    Definitely sounds like a graphics card problem, as a desktop Intel Core 2 CPU is good enough to run most modern games... (I remember trying to play on integrated graphics... NEVER AGAIN!) Heck, even my family's old desktop CPU should do the job!

The Alienware 14 looks good! The processor, as I said above, should be fine. As long as you're not doing complex simulations, any (mid-high end) modern mobile processor will do the trick.
    Also, the graphics card looks solid, too. Both the GTX 750 and 765M *appear* excellent, and should run Bioshock infinite smoothly. Just don't expect a laptop to match the performance of a desktop of the same price, though.

When I get a new gaming computer, I'm most likely going to build a desktop myself. I'm not too concerned with mobility, as I hardly ever play games outside my room. Also, I have a couple more reasons for getting a desktop. First of all, It will be cheaper. Second, It's upgradable, so I can easily replace my graphics card. I'm stuck with my GTX 560M, which is my main concern, but I haven't purchased any recent games this past year. The i7-2630QM isn't disappointing yet, but there are computers that far surpass the performance of mine while being the same price (e.g. The new versions of my laptop)

The laptop, which I forgot to mention of, that I have right now is an ASUS G74SX from mid-2011. It was basically the cheapest model (with the 1600x900 screen), but I was still very satisfied because it surpassed the performance of ALL of the computers I have used or am currently using (Okay, not the workstations at school... Xeon E-5... Can't really beat that with a consumer laptop...).

I predict my gaming laptop will last me at least a couple more years performance wise (fulfilling my planned 5-year life-cycle). Even then, it would still be useful as a secondary computer to play around with, as it has 2 hard disk slots.

also Be aware that Nvidia states up front alot of games Don't offer support for mobile processors of the 17 PC games i have only 1 offers full mobile compatibillity the rest have no support. most Nvidias Software dosent support mobile processors + half the time its only an nividia processor with intel chipset so its not even going to be marked as nvidia (which is why Nvidia's software is not supported)

Quote Originally Posted by Fawuko View Post
    6gb RAM sounds like some AMD triple channel setup, maybe an X4? Don't be fooled by it's age, processors haven't gotten that much faster the past few years. An option worth considering here might be getting a decent current graphics card along the old components and sticking to a gaming pc solution.
    I'll agree with the sentiment here, namely focusing on GPU, but it's inaccurate to say that processors haven't gotten much faster. They have, they've gotten WAY faster than an X4 infect. ...It's just that their speed isn't that relevant to gaming. A good example, I have a Radeon HD 6850 graphics card that was in a $350, i7 3770k system, overclocked to 4.4ghz in it. That card was replaced and hand-me-downed to my 3.0ghz A8-3870K system. The A8-3870K is really just a Phenom II X4 with an AMD GPU built in it, but the architecture is the same and it cost me $75. The benchmark scores for 3D Mark are only about 20% lower. That's a way cheaper price for not a huge hit on performance. ...But on the other hand, when it comes to raw CPU power, that i7 blows the 3870K out of the water. The Cinebench benchmark, which benchmarks multithreaded CPUs for multicore rendering, scores about a 3.5 on the A8 3870K but scores about an 8 on the i7 3770K. Massive difference and when doing creative, CPU demanding work, that's a huge. So the CPU's have TOTALLY gotten more powerful over the years. ...It's just it's not a big factor to a lot of people.

At the same time, I'm upgrading that i7 3770K to an i7 4930K, six cores, and I'll OC it to the same speed. ...I bet you my 3D Mark benchmark score won't go up more than 10%. :P

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyAshes View Post
    ...It's just that their speed isn't that relevant to gaming.
    Skyrim is a CPU heavy game skyrim draws 70% on processor speed and 30% on GPU Speed over clocked my cpu .6 and gained 15FPS. battlefield 4 is a CPU heavy game the faster it clocks the smoother the game. i have an AMD FX 8350 4.0GHZ 8 core while on stock clock i was averaging 59-62FPS i OC to 4.6 and FPS went up by 10 Minimum the most i got at 4.6 was 79FPS then i OC my Nvidia GTX 770 and got another 5-10 FPS out of it. Processor speed makes a world of diffrence. OC if done right can drasticly improve game quality