Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remembering Mandela in Canada

Default Remembering Mandela in Canada

The world has lost one it's brightest lights and greatest leaders and we are left with memories of how he changed South Africa and inspired the world.

Mandela fought against apartheid with courage, grace, dignity, all through non-violent methods. Even after his release from prison, he was not looking for revenge against his captors, but rather he focussed on healing and bringing about change and liberty to his nation.

As a Canadian, I am proud that our country played a leading role to maintain stiff economic sanctions against South Africa to bring an end to the regime. Although this wasn't a popular approach, particularly in the US and the UK, I believe that time has shown we were on the rig side of history. Mandela wrote that "Canada provided strong and principled leadership in the battle against apartheid."

Mandela gave his first speech to any foreign legislature to the Canadian Parliament, and in 2001, the government made him an honorary Canadian citizen. Mandela said it was an honour, but we knew the honour was ours.

Although it was known that his health was diminishing, there is profound sense of loss around the world. However, his message and inspiration will continue to shine long after the mourning has passed.

The remarkable thing about Mandela was his ability to forgive his captors after 27 years in prison. You will not get that in any other leader in the world. Most others in that situation would take revenge, revenge, revenge,.

However I do not 100% agree with his option to use violence. Violence against violence only worsens a situation. I think he should have looked for even more support outside of South Africa against apartheid before he resorted to violence.. perhaps dare I say it from the communist bloc as well as right minded western nations.

I admire Mandela. I admire him a lot for what he has been through and what he wanted to achieve. However I admire Mahatma Gandhi just a little bit more. All violence is evil and can not be justified.
    Perhaps Mandela's aim could have been achieved a little bit quicker if he did not announce a campaign of civil disobedience.

Saying that, the man literally was a freedom fighter. His ideal was perhaps a little bit utopian, but he has achieved something remarkable nevertheless and should be remembered accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by starrunner View Post
    Mandela fought against apartheid with courage, grace, dignity, all through non-violent methods...
    In fact the ANC adopted a military response to apartheid in 1961, as Nelson Mandela explained at his Rivonia trial...

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson Mandela
    At the beginning of June 1961, after a long and anxious assessment of the South African situation, I, and some colleagues, came to the conclusion that as violence in this country was inevitable, it would be unrealistic and wrong for African leaders to continue preaching peace and non-violence at a time when the Government met our peaceful demands with force.

This conclusion was not easily arrived at. It was only when all else had failed, when all channels of peaceful protest had been barred to us, that the decision was made to embark on violent forms of political struggle, and to form Umkhonto we Sizwe. We did so not because we desired such a course, but solely because the Government had left us with no other choice. In the Manifesto of Umkhonto published on 16 December 1961, which is Exhibit AD, we said:

"The time comes in the life of any nation when there remain only two choices - submit or fight. That time has now come to South Africa. We shall not submit and we have no choice but to hit back by all means in our power in defence of our people, our future, and our freedom".

This was our feeling in June of 1961 when we decided to press for a change in the policy of the National Liberation Movement. I can only say that I felt morally obliged to do what I did. - Nelson Mandela`s statement from the dock at the Rivonia Trial

Quote Originally Posted by MsClaraRiddle View Post
    In fact the ANC adopted a military response to apartheid in 1961, as Nelson Mandela explained at his Rivonia trial...
    True, this was a part of his story, but overall, he spent his life practicing and preaching non violence and resorted to more drastic measures after all else failed.

Mandela became active in non violent resistance while attending university, and later got expelled as a result. He continued to study the nonviolent methods of Mahatma Gandhi until the National Party started crushing opposition. After 69 peaceful protesters were massacred in a demonstration in Sharpeville, Mandela felt that stronger actions were required since civilians were becoming casualties of war. His condoning of violence continued for a period of two years when he was arrested for travelling without a passport. A few alters he was sentenced to life imprisonment for leading the crusade against the government. In prison, he adopted non violent methods of resistance

When Mandela was released in 1990, the following two years brought on violent protests and massacres. During this period, he advocated for peaceful resolutions against apartheid. When apartheid came to an end, Mandela worked with all political parties to develop a constitution for a democratic country without racial discrimination.

Its so good to see a thread about Madiba on Adisc.

Today as we watched the funeral i was overcome with sadness more then when i heard he died, because i realized never in my years will i ever as a South African be witness to such a great role model or legend.

The country destined for civil war became a fully democratic country in 1994, and there was no war, only euphoria on the streets and a sense of 'Ubuntu' as we all realized the potential to live together.

As Nelson Mandela once said, he thinks of all the different ethnic groups as a fruit salad, complementing one another.

I have never known one individual with such incredible power and magnetism and he often stopped to talk to cleaners or the gardener instead of going straight ahead with his meetings.

I was actually destined to meet him at a gig i did for underprivileged children.
    He could not meet us due to a serious political matter at the time, but i will never forgot what he stood for.

My heart is heavy with sadness, yet very proud as a South African, as i recognize this man my hero.

You will always be in my heart and im going to get my first ever tattoo with your face on my arm.

I love you Madiba!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nelson-mandela.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	19524

RIP Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela 1918-2013.

I'm flabbergasted that there haven't been more threads about Mandela. Considering he's arguably one of the most influential and renowned men in history, I'm genuine shocked that there has been barely a whisper about him here. Nonetheless, I am happy he is at peace, he had a long life, and he was a brave soul.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Luckyfish View Post

Today as we watched the funeral i was overcome with sadness more then when i heard he died, because i realized never in my years will i ever as a South African be witness to such a great role model or legend.

The country destined for civil war became a fully democratic country in 1994, and there was no war, only euphoria on the streets and a sense of 'Ubuntu' as we all realized the potential to live together.

As Nelson Mandela once said, he thinks of all the different ethnic groups as a fruit salad, complementing one another.

I have never known one individual with such incredible power and magnetism and he often stopped to talk to cleaners or the gardener instead of going straight ahead with his meetings.

I was actually destined to meet him at a gig i did for underprivileged children.
    He could not meet us due to a serious political matter at the time, but i will never forgot what he stood for.

My heart is heavy with sadness, yet very proud as a South African, as i recognize this man my hero.

You will always be in my heart and im going to get my first ever tattoo with your face on my arm.

I think this song is in order

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhUMsqei7kM

What is there to say that hasn't been said already? That he tried to bomb children before he got arrested? No one is pointing that out. A 10 day media lovefest is plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by Luckyfish View Post

Oh dear one he is not done he has a new life to plan he is coming back the spirit ever lasting.
    Oh you may not know him or her but we have much to do . So with a kind hart till we meet again.
    The soul that was Christ came 5 times funny they dont read all his teachings .
    So look for Nelson Mandela return.
    Maybe you can awaken that part with In you .
    Hugs

Quote Originally Posted by incontinentGM24 View Post
    What is there to say that hasn't been said already? That he tried to bomb children before he got arrested? No one is pointing that out. A 10 day media lovefest is plenty.
    incontinentGM24, Mandela saw violence as a last resort, secondly, he advocated the targeting of military targets only, and thirdly, If you were, along with every other white person, disenfranchised, treated as sub-human, and excluded from society by the government, wouldn't you fight back.